1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowblower. I need one. What's up?

Discussion in 'General' started by triplestrong, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I just paced it off - our legacy driveway is 2000 SF, and we just had a circular installed this year which is another 2500 SF. We also have a weird lot so there’s a fuckton of sidewalk running along the front - about 250 feet long. Adding in the sidewalk to the front door, etc., and it’s almost 1000 SF (I’m using 2.5 as the width). Total SF is about 5500 by my calcs.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Anthing dual stage, over 24 inch cut and 8hp should be effective.

SuddenBraking and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I agree. A 24” will be plenty.

With snowblowers, you don’t save a lot of time going up in widths, because the areas usually aren’t large blocks. They’re driveways and walkways which are mostly length, so you have to make the pass anyway.

If you were to look at 14’ wide drive, a 24” is 7 passes and a 30” is 6 passes. If you were 20’ wide drive, a 24” is 10 passes and the 30” is 8 passes. If your 20’ wide driveway were 500’ long, those couple extra passes are still negligible as a good 2-stage will move right along. This is where processing ability comes into play. A single-stage is only going to be able to process so much material, when the auger is doing the gathering AND throwing. On a 2-stage, you want the highest rpm in the auger and impeller, so it can process the material faster and allow you to run the transmission in a higher gear and cover more ground. This is sort of like comparing a residential ZTR mower versus a commercial ZTR mower in the commercial deck is deeper and can process a lot more grass, allowing faster ground speed. I have a 20” single-stage and 24” two-stage. The 4” width increase saves me very little. In fact, with lighter snowfall (a couple inches or less), my single-stage is faster because of its compact size, light weight, and ease of maneuvering. Where the two-stage shines is in its ability to handle a lot more material, when talking more than a few inches of accumulation. In heavy snowfall, I don’t even consider the single-stage.

If you were to look at a residential sidewalk, you have to make a return trip to the driveway, so you’re not saving anything by going up in width. 2X24” is a 48” wide path. 2X30” is 60” wide path. How wide are your sidewalks and is it worth it to spend the extra money for that?

The 30” you’re looking at is a really big, expensive blower. I just don’t see enough to justify spending that much more money over the basic 24” blower like I and others have. I mean, you’re talking ~$1000 versus $1800 for a bit more width, a few extra things you don’t really need, and very little production gain. However, it’s your purchase and you’re the one who has to be happy with your decision.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. Spang308

From a practicality perspective, the 30" can be a bitch to operate and maneuver vs. the 24" that will be much easier to throw around...and store.
    Also, in really deep wet snow, sometimes I don't even take a full cut the prevent clogging, so a 30" could be pointless in some types of snow.

ducnut and K51000 like this.
  5. Spang308

For the record, I hate snow!
    Not sure if that adds anything to the discussion, just needed it out there. :D

ducnut and K51000 like this.
  6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I was actually contemplating building a DIY plow with PVC for my riding mower! From your post and a few others on here, I'm glad I never attempted that one! Glad the previous homeowner left me this bad ass snow thrower

ducnut likes this.
  7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I watch my neighbor with try to plow with an atv. It's silly. It doesn't work for numerous reasons.

I'm sure I have well over 5000 sq ft of concrete driveway. I do it with a two stage 24" snowblower in about an hour even if it is up to 8 inches of snow. Plus I can perfectly follow the driveway edges and I don't end up with piles of snow everywhere.

ducnut likes this.
  8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Seafoam is pretty corrosive. Leaving it sit in the fuel system for a long time isn't good for it. There's an app called PureGas that will show you a listing of gas stations in your area that have ethanol free fuel.

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

ducnut likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Do you have a source?

The MSDS shows a proprietary hydrocarbon blend and isopropanol, neither of which are going to be acidic or corrosive.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

ChemGuy likes this.
  12. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Experience. I've had it corrode small engine stuff. Local dealer also warned me against letting it sit in fuel systems.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I think, it’s the sweet spot of snowblowers. And, it has “Auto-Turn Technology”, which is an auto-locking differential, as opposed to a solid axle shaft of lesser units. It’ll be a nice machine.

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. Spang308

I have an ethanol free station a few miles from me and run it in all my small engines and motorcycles. Never have fuel issues. No input on Seafoam. Honestly, I never even use Stabil or anything and still no issues with straight gas.

nd4spd and ducnut like this.
  15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That'll be perfect. You will be looking forward to the first snow!

I've never needed chains. I do try to get it cleared off before anyone drives on it. Smashed down snow and ice is a lot harder to clear.

Funkm05, Spang308, ChemGuy and 2 others like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

From a chemistry standpoint, I’d have to say it’s impossible. Now, if your fuel sat in the system for ages and ages, moisture accumulation will cause corrosion no matter what additive you put in the tank. Fuel has to be periodically cycled through the system, even if it’s a tank per year. Otherwise, you’re best to just drain the tank, like I do on my snowblower and pressure washer. Keep in mind, water collects at the bottom of the fuel system, because it’s heavier than fuel.

This is 14yrs of Seafoam in my SV. The bowl gaskets and seats finally dried out, so I pulled the carbs to rebuild them. Otherwise, there was no need to touch them. The bike only gets a couple hundred miles put on it per year. It’s just too nice of bike to sell for peanuts, so I keep it.

796DB849-9CB9-4DA8-BCDE-4F65FA4D6A96.jpeg

nd4spd and K51000 like this.
  17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, being from Gulf coast of TX, me too kinda. But being here in the Midwest for 10years, I do enjoy a place close to home, that has free parking asnd free downhill sledding that my boys and I have taken advantage of every winter!

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Apparently you've never been snowmobiling. :D

[​IMG]

Spang308, K51000 and ducnut like this.
  19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

20. Spang308

LOL. I sent that to my snowmobiling buddy the other day. He's always trying to get me to go along to the "cabin" which is in the lake effect area of NY, Watertown/Tug Hill area I think.
    I'm like dude, you get a bungalow in the Keys and you'll be looking for ways to get rid of me, but I ain't playing in no snow in upstate NY!