1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowblower. I need one. What's up?

Discussion in 'General' started by triplestrong, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not about to pull a rope, if I don’t have to.

YamahaRick likes this.
  2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Pussy :Poke:, it's got the extention cord hook up for electric also.

The one I have and pictured is apparently a Craftsman, Murray, and/or Spirit.
    I've had it 10 years, so it's easlily 15-20 y/o.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So I was asking my buddy his thoughts (he's from upstate Connecticut) and he said I should just get an ATV with a plow attachment. That would certainly have significantly greater utility to me during the rest of the year with other attachments - thoughts? In all honesty, I'd probably use the snowblower 8 times over the next decade whereas the ATV with attachments would get used several times a season (hauling shit across the yard, aerating, etc.).

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/snw/d/philadelphia-2008-honda-foreman-atv/7023040531.html

K51000 likes this.
  4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

If it's a 24", AT LEAST 8HP, 2 stage like the one I pictured ( a rebranded one) , you'll be impressed. MInor adjustments, then good to go!

OH yeah, my theory is either I'm walking and shoveling- kinda hard
    or if it's more then 2-3", I'm walking and being pulled along by my snow thrower!

When it's warmer, I have a Poulan riding mower, that has a trailer, and a leave/grass sweeper and a big basket than get pulled behind. 20hp

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That looks like a steal.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

They aren’t posting the hp rating anywhere but I read that it’s about 6.5-7.
    I don’t doubt it will work when it’s working. I just doubt that I’ll be boasting about lasting for 25+years like the last one I had. Then again, in 25 years, I’ll be 78 years old. If I’m still living anywhere that requires a snowblower when I’m 78, I would kindly ask that one of you bastards politely put a bullet in my skull.

K51000 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes it is, go get it before somebody else grabs it. Put a winch and a 60" plow on it, a good set up installed will probably be around a $1000 installed. Not much to putting them on if your mechanical at all, save a few bucks. Pm me if you want plow, winch advice.

Just remembered Parts Unlimited's new drop ship program, you can order it from me and have it shipped to your door. :D

Razr and SuddenBraking like this.
  8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Don’t forget Veterans get 10 percent off at Lowe’s. Makes the deal even sweeter if you are a Vet or Active Duty.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If one were to relocate to central/NW Indiana, how important would it be for a person with a decently-long driveway to have a snow blower? Asking for a friend.

10. SuddenBraking

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

12. SuddenBraking

I'm a pretty fickle SOB :p

So, back to snowblowers - if I'm getting the 30" Ariens, it probably makes sense to pay an extra $300 to not have to deal with gummed up carbs, yes? Particularly on something that may get used once a year (if that) some years.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A decently-long driveway might require something with a plow.

14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Funkm05 and YamahaRick like this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’ve got two amazing opportunities, right there! Buy the right machine for the job.

An ATV is a PITA for most driveways and homeowners. I used to sell and outfit the things. And, I used to plow the dealership with one. For long, narrow runs, they’re great. On wide spaces, they suck, because there’s only so much snow weight you can windrow to the side before the machine just won’t move it anymore. Likewise, you’re limited on how much accumulation you can move, because you can’t scoop it and you damn sure aren’t going to shove it, especially wet snow. As much as it pains me to say this, something like a Polaris with its simple forward/backward shift lever is the only way to plow snow. But, they’re absolute garbage for quality.

That’s a massive snowblower and is something one would use to clear a hospital property, school property, town sidewalks, etc. For sure, it’ll make quick work of most residential driveways. And, it’s a great deal. You should go look at it and determine if you want to work with that much equipment.

Go steal that ATV for your summer needs and buy whatever snowblower for your winter needs.

YamahaRick and SuddenBraking like this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'm at a loss here. Did I just read that there's actually consideration to NOT purchase the tank version, with heated grips and electric start? Did that just happen, or is it a sad dream???

ducnut likes this.
  17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That looks like a step up(heated grips and quick turn chute) from the one iv had for aboit 10 years. Never had carb problems and it works great.

ATCs with plows on them suck. I had a Sportsman 700 and even the big wheelers are very limited in their plowing capabilities. A snowblower is far superior.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Depends what you’re talking for length of driveway. A hundred feet, a few hundred feet, 1/2mi?

I’ll almost always tell someone to grab a snowblower, because they don’t wreck your pavement, they can disburse snow over a large area (piles of snow kill grass), they’re affordable, and they can be pretty fast at clearing.

You’ll be subject to lake-effect snow, so you’re going to want one. Likewise, I’d consider a whole-house generator, up there. My mom used to live in Lake Station and I used to work out of Gary. The snow and ice are miserable, up that way.

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

Lots of naysayers talked me out of the tank version.

Whatever I get is definitely going to have heated grips and electric start, though.

@ducnut - thoughts on the EFI Ariens? Looks like relatively new technology (they claim it's the first snowblower with EFI) so wasn't sure if they'd dialed the tech in yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-...ectric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-921049/207125779

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t touch it. If you were looking at EFI on a ZTR, I’d tell you to do it, because that’s a more common platform for those engines and there’s volume to support the techs’ knowledge of the systems. I can tell you, Kohler runs a Delphi system and they require a factory-certified tech, before they’ll sell the dealer ~$1K in software and equipment to work on their EFI engines. I’m not sure what Ariens is using for their branded engines, but, it would be a definite concern.

The HD description saying EFI eliminates fuel issues is bullshit. I still put Seafoam in all my EFI stuff. For my snowblowers and pressure washer, I remove the float bowl drain screw and empty the tanks, when I’m done for their seasons.

You don’t really need heated grips, unless you plan to spend hours blowing snow.

That’s a huge snowblower. Do you have that much area?