1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rulebook question 775cc singles limit in D

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So something built on a GP Chassis but no longer has a 2 stroke in it is no longer a GP machine?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

huh? :confused:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Moriwaki makes and has made plenty of chassis. So do other manufacturers. The terminology about GP machinery is outdated but people still use it enough to talk about the 2-strokes that I've left it in. I can spell it out specifically as TZ and RS125s if it really matters that much.

The GP machinery used a motor made specifically for GP racing, a chassis specifically for a GP class. The Moriwaki chassis is designed for racing but isn't specific to the GP series and the engine is from a dirt bike. Same as if someone built their own frame and used a dirt bike engine - something that has been legal in Clubman since the class was conceived.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the engine. A custom frame with a CR500 engine isn't a 500 GP bike.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

There were ways to take the BMW F650 single up to 750cc.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If someone could afford a Moto2 or MotoGP CRT bike for club racing would those be considered GP bikes? I'm confused.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Got it. It just seemed odd without further explanation.

8. ton

ton Arf!

goodness, no. a Moto2 bike is a custom frame with a motor from a CBR600. and we know how slow those things are. :D

9. joec

joec brace yourself

isnt the ktm moto3 bike a dirtbike motor?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's got nothing to do with how fast or slow they are. :D
    I'm just trying to nail down the definition of what is or isn't a GP bike. I seem to have had it wrong ever since I first got involved in club racing.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No, it's a purpose built evil thing IIRC.

12. ton

ton Arf!

i'm gonna run a destroked R6 565cc motor in a Moriwaki Moto2 chassis in Clubman!

(that'll be worth the money :D )

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Wanna buy a 580? :D

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

"Formula" is custom chassis with production motors.
    "GP" is purpose built motors in any chassis.

15. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

I race a 660 Yamaha out here on the left coast thats now over 700. It's the five valve motor that was in the MZ and the Raptor for some years. Mine is in a TZ 250 chassis. I know of a kit that will take these things out to something stupid like 850cc but it's for a quad that doesn't run sustained high rpm like we do.

That 690 is a sweet motor. I talked to Karsten as well about a framecrafters frame for one and he mentioned the geometry was kinda wonky for road racing. I saw a 125gp size custom framed job with a 690 in it ... that would be the weapon to have.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82539428@N00/15955000456/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  16. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I have the vortex ecu. and had new maps loaded up. they can make any map you want. plus it can be adjusted + or - 10% either way.

17. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Ate51

That's what my Scorpion wants to be when it grows up. Cool bike. Love the in n out sticker.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

yeah, that statement confused the HELL outta me. I thought a GP bike was a bike that was not street legal and made for the one purpose of racing on the track. The MD250 is exactly that isn't it?

I always wondered why the MD250 was out on the D grid when I was racing it, and had any adult ridden it, and beat me in a real race (GNF type) I would have protested it. I may have no won but would have tried. I am guessing that Sean is calling a GP machine STRICTLY a Two stroke. But isn't the MD a 125 frame with a 250 wedged in?

4. SUPERSTOCK: There must be at least 1000 motorcycles available to riders, worldwide, per year and the machine must be generally available on the U.S. market with full EPA and DOT approval to qualify a machine for the Superstock categories. Proof of eligibility must be provided by the rider. Superstock machines are defined original motorcycle manufacturers’ equipment intended for use on public roads which are allowed to use an aftermarket or racing exhaust system instead of the stock exhaust system and other modifications as listed below. The decision regarding the legality of any machine entered in a Superstock class is the responsibility of the Chief Technical Inspector for the event in progress. The rider or sponsor of any machine is responsible for producing a service or owner’s manual with all part numbers, specifications and other material required to prove its legality. Legality will be determined based upon manufacturers’ specifications (or comparison of similar OEM parts) for the year, model and make of the machine entered.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

20. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

There are no restrictions on Formula Chassis:

6. FORMULA 1, FORMULA 2, 125cc GRAND PRIX and Clubman (or any subsection of a class that specifies “Formula Rules”) Have no restrictions other than displacement, fuel limits as outlined in Chapter 8, and configuration as outlined below.

Only restrictions are those noted in the individual classes which primarily deal with engine configuration and size.

If there is a definition of what constitutes a GP bike in the rulebook I've never been able to find it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014