1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rulebook question 775cc singles limit in D

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Damn, so if I ever want a true Gen 4 690 I'd need to order an R motor from Europe :(

2. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

The only likely candidate was the MZ Scorpion
    Stock they were 660 but Bob Schmidle (sp?) had a pretty large over bore maybe even 770 (I'll ask him) and possibly the rule was implemented to keep it from going any further

just a guess but thought it might jog your memory

3. grady anderson

All the new gen 690 s are true 690s

If you wanted a pre dual spark true 690 I am fairly sure the 2009/2010 dukes were true 690 s whether or not the were an R
    Not sure why you would want the older engine as the new version is smoother, more reliable, fuel injected and IMHO better looking
    All R/EJC components are available in the US through KTM
    I bought mine with the intention of making it into an EJC which I did
    I then realized how much more potential it had and took it further

4. grady anderson

FWIW KTM does not sell engines alone
    I tried

5. Inquizid

Ah so the Duke IV does have the longer stroke. I'm surprised they won't sell a motor, especially being a race series spec bike. I always appreciate the feedback, that is good to know. I know it's a niche bike, but I'm always surprised how little information even the dealers have.

The MZ or SRX would be my guess for the rule too, I used to ride a XT600 on 17's I bought from a former WERA racer and it had all kinds of upgrades. It was a sweet single but handled like a tank. My buddy has a SRX that is on display at the sparsely attended Dealer Expo this weekend. I was always thrilled at how light that bike was and the powerplant made it a real sleeper for its weight.

6. grady anderson

I was surprised they wouldn't sell a motor being as they were the spec bike in the European Junior Cup in 2012 but no dice.
    I just found a lightly used one for $2500 plus $230 for the throttle body plus some more for the ECU. Guess I have no choice. Spare motor or big bore kit. My conservative side says get the spare engine.

7. Inquizid

If that's the one on ebay it seems like a great price. Mine is a street bike for now, so buying that would make me ultraconservative.

I did enjoy the joke on the KTM forum that it does not leak oil, but rather "sweats power". Mine drinks at the very least a half a quart every 1K miles, sometimes more. I'm told removing and capping the emissions stuff might help cut that back a bit.

8. grady anderson

Mine uses very little but I change it after every race weekend or track day.
    I have no emissions stuff left on the bike.
    It is the one on eBay and while it is probably a deal it just occurred to me that it is more than half the price of a 390 Cup bike. Which I guess I could rationalize as a backup bike with a class for it to run in as well.
    Ahhhh, the off season. ;)

9. Inquizid

10. grady anderson

Well if that was my fault you accomplished a pay back
    That kit works pretty well doesn't it?
    Now where did I put those Zolpidem?

11. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

12. grady anderson

Thanks Dave but no help for a new gen 690
    2010 and earlier have tons of stuff available
    I knew of the Rally Raid 13.5:1 piston and that may be the only option though is not a big bore
    And no ECU tuning outside of the KTM remap for the cam airrbox kit , which I have , is available for the 2012-2015
    JF appears to have some kind of map or mod for their kit requiring the ECU and FI sent to them to modify

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You haven't seen the truly fast clubman bikes. Duc 800 has nothing for them.

If it wasn't the blast I don't remember why the limit. When I get a chance I'll see if I can figure out when it got changed and maybe that will help.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds familiar.

15. grady anderson

I guess I haven't
    I guess TZs are legal aren't they?
    I know MB Motorsports made some Killer EXs also
    What else?
    I think the rule would have been changed at the same time you took SVs out of DSB so maybe 2003 or so?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

MB and the grenade EX's rank way up there, no TZ's but a TZR works (I know, silly distinction) the main one I'm thinking of was a tigcraft frame with a BMW F650 motor in it, take that same combo and update it with a more modern faster thumper and holy crap :D Moriwaki 250's are legal too.

17. grady anderson

I had talked with Karsten Illg at Framecrafters about a GP frame for the 690 and he was very excited about building it for me. He already has a GP framed 450 Yamaha. But when we crunched some numbers I had to remind myself that this is club racing for fun and mortgaging the house to win a trophy didn't make much sense. It is fun imagining the 796 kitted KTM single in a 250 lb GP chassis.
    But my plan is to run three classes with one bike and both the frame and the motor would not be D legal.
    Great rationalization to not spend the money! :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D

I can't even remember who had the tigcraft but I have a feeling it was something already in the garage.

19. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Sean, Clubman says no 125-250 GP machines allowed, why is the MD250 allowed in clubman? Just curious. Peter

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not a GP machine.