1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rulebook question 775cc singles limit in D

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Dec 5, 2014.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Ok so not an answer to the 775cc limit for D
    Still wondering......

2. grady anderson

X
    The stock frame geometry is not close to the numbers he likes
    He can certainly wrap a frame around that motor with the right geometry
    And if the 796 motor was in it would be a 250 lb 85 hp "not a GP bike"
    Clubman killer but cmon....who is going to build a $30k plus bike to win Clubman?
    And that very pretty piece you showed probably passed the $30k mark early on

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  3. grady anderson

JMHO but I think Clubman is the "creative" class so Sean has to keep easy ringers like factory built but available to privateer GP bikes out
    TZs and RS Hondas have plenty of classes to run in without letting them ruin the eccentric Cluman class
    I can only point out the variety I raced against last time out

4. grady anderson

Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    That will make the 796 Framecrafters that I sooooo want to do look cheap
    And would be totally in the spirit of the class
    Ok...you idea is in the spirit if not your wallet

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe. Would depend on the engine in large part. If the Moto2 is nothing more than a modified CBR600 engine anyone can get then it's a custom frame with a 600cc 4 cylinder in it, no different than someone getting the same frame and putting in any 600 and would be classified based on that. The big bikes are a moot point as they're F1 anyway - CRT, Factory bike, or home made.

Either way a Moriwaki MD250 isn't a GP bike in the same manner the RS125, TZ125, RS250, and TZ250's were. You can go take the motor out of a Honda 250 dirt bike and make one. That wasn't the case with the others.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Essentially yep, that's the rule of thumb. I'm sure people can find exceptions but that works pretty well for the vast majority of machinery.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why did you quote Superstock rules? The MD250 isn't Superstock and can't run DSS.

The Formula based singles in DSB is just for a bump up class for them and grid filler for a class that allows some stupid built FZR400's. They're not an issue.

Something everyone seems to miss with the Moriwaki too is they're not fast. A decently tuned/ridden old RS125 will stomp it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So am I. However I'm not in the office this week so research is not happening any time soon.

9. grady anderson

Got all Winter. I am patient. Just curious. :)

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me too now :D

Normally I can remember what led to rule changes I've made and I'm pretty sure this one was me - but now I'm getting old...

11. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

True. Assume you could fix any geometry issues wrapping it in a custom frame. 250lbs tops. Mine weighs 280 something but my 660 is a heavy ass old motor. We don't have clubman out here. I race mine primarily in lightweight twins classes and singles with ahrma.

30k+? Mine? Maybe to build it today. I bought it for a hair more than a tenth of that and have about 800 in a motor rebuild. Parts for my motor are cheap.

12. grady anderson

W
    $30k is a custom gp frame, tank, bodywork, top notch suspension and full on 796 build
    I probably have half that in my 2013 690 Duke but I bought it new, bought all the KTM EJC bits new (full Ti Akro, cam, air box that I don't use, clip ons, custom fairing mount with Ohlins damper, custom sub fame, belly pan, 848 fairing and tail, KTM racing WP suspension, custom aluminum tank with CBR cover and more that I can't think of)
    The GP frame conversion would put most of that on the shelf
    The 796 kit is at least $5k installed
    Pretty sure I should leave it alone and put the money into tires, fuel, entry fees and travel expense and spend more time racing
    Winter brings too much time to let one's imagination go wild

Unless of course I find a 775 kit :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  13. grady anderson

Remember yet?

14. joec

joec brace yourself

atk? 700 single 2 stroke?

15. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Yep.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think Grady thinks that you're actually going to search for the answer.
    You need to spell out the truth explicitly and kill that hope for good.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I may search for it but it'll be when I have time. Since his original post I've been a touch busy with getting the season rolling and have our first race in a few days. I may find time this summer :D

19. grady anderson

I think you hit it on the head with this guess. Just saw one in a Harris frame.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWty_HaWV8

20. joec

joec brace yourself