1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red flags in AMA

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Jun 24, 2007.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Which is a bit different from "...Once he saw it, (the red flag) he got up and ran."

Don't ya think?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Splitting hairs again Don Quixote?

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Seems like it's as good of a time as any to argue the 'no touching the bike during a red flag' point (I could see allowing tire warmers). Why should someone (MM and anyone who changed tires, tweaked suspension, loaded different maps, etc) gain a competitive advantage as a result of a red flag? Those NASCAR (and WERA National Endurance) folks got it right.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Speakin' of that old guy, when are they gonna ban him so some of thes fast young guys can get into the top five or so?

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Spitting hairs is more like it. Exageration is good for the goose butt not the ganer in these freeks minds.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Acting or not...Mladin was able to take advantage of the same rules that apply to all other riders in the superbike class and then rode his ass off. Like him or not, he ain't holding anything back this season.

7. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I was there and I was racing (earlier not the same class) and T1 is a way fast turn to crash. Did he pull a con job? Did the AMA play favorites? There is absolutly, positively no way of answering either question with any accuracy no matter who you are, what you saw, or what your back ground happens to be. Every (almost) post has had some valid points and some not so valid, but the question is; if a rider is the direct cause of a red flag stoppage should that rider be allowed to continue on the restart? As stated the rule currently allows this. It is a sensible rule due to the fact that under normal circumstances there is no way for a rider to benifit by causing a red flag, however it is clear in this case as well as a few notable ones in the past that if the rider were so inclined to purposely cause a red flag they could in fact benifit. For example; a rider gets a horrible start from pole in a decisive which puts him out of contention. He then race pitches it in a slow corner thus insuring minimal damage to himself and bike and maximum probability of the bike staying on course thus causing a stoppage. He picks up the bike rides around and gets a second chance at a good start. This is but one exampple of how a rider could use the rule for benefit. To be fair I think that if a rider causes a red flag that rider should not be allowed to restart the race. Is there a reason why they should?

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Duh

9. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

cant say much more than that :up:

10. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Radical Freedom Fighter

You guys missed the obvious. They pulled a switch-a-roo. That wasn't Matt riding that bike but his evil clone. I kept replaying the footage from the garage and I think they pulled the switch in the ambulance. Check it out if you don't beleive me!

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

StuntHo has to be filling the hate void for Davie Stone, since Davie has now backed up his smack with his riding! (BTW: great job at Miller, Mr. Stone!)
    Sean prolly creates these haters for our enjoyment on the BBS! Or did you do it, Dave!
    See ya in a few, ms Vicki!:beer:

mmfoor

12. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't think it would really go this far.

I make the post before the restart, Mat rode a hell of a race to finish like he did. I don't know about the conspiracy theory stuff, the red was legit, and I don't know if he played up the injury at all either. nor do I really care. I just don't like the rule allowing someone who stopped a race to be in that same race when it finishes. Also a bad rule being on the books for a long time does not make it any less of a bad rule.

13. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Because they paid their entry fee for X amount of laps just like everyone else? :Poke:

14. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Where are you going to pit? Call me when you get there, 770-356-8094

15. cparty27

cparty27 Active Member

I'm not mad at Mat, he used the system to his advantage. Bravo. I think the rule is rediculous. If you cause a red flag, ride back in the ambulance, and your bike goes back to the pits on the crash truck your day should be over. If your bike can't make it back to the pits under its own power your day should be over. If you crash (highside, lowside, whatever), during a race (green flag, yellow flag, red flag, whatever) you should have two options. 1: You or the corner workers pick it up, dust yourself off and keep on racing (you can then ride it into the pits and do some repairs if necessary), or 2: You throw in the towel and your day is done. The only time I think its ok is if its on the warm-up lap (the race hasn't officially started), and you can mount your back up bike and be ready for the regularly scheduled start. Flame away.

16. Oh, look! Another dickhead! I was getting lonely!

17. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Only 5 more posts to make that 100.:D :up:

18. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

id like to see that as a rule ,if your bike is unrideable and you caused the red flag ,or at any time ,that should be the end of the day .If the bike limped off the track under its own power ,let em run .If a truck comes and gets it ,i think thats a bit much .but hey its the rules and they arent completely terrible

What about if you crash you can have your fresh teamate jump on the spare bike and ride ? now thats crazy right ?

19. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

You can't make a blanket rule for crashes. Some bikes crash in a bad spot with a red flag being best response, but the bike and rider may be fine once they get up and are checked.

That last part is covered in WERA Endurance rules. If you change to a backup bike during the race, that team lap count is set back to zero.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Not completely. In NASCAR you can put in a minimum amount of laps and then switch off to another driver and still get your points. I don't remember exactly how it's written.