1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red flags in AMA

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Mongo sitting on his ass 'watching the same thing' is not quite like you doing the same. Your frame of reference in no way includes the experience that Mongo has gained over the years in similar situations; all you saw was the snapshot on TV, with no reference of experience to back your detremental assaults on Miladin. In fact, your attacks on Mongo here are rather immature. I've had disagreements with Mongo on this board, but never have I used personal disrespect as a tactic in a debate. When it comes to running a race or a race org, I have opinions; Mongo has successful experience. And you have......
    And one more thing: at WERA races Mongo is a good guy, with situations allowing, having time to discuss whatever is on your mind in a friendly and respectful manner. And in the 'big scary real world' he is director of the most successful private race org. There's no way this could be if he didn't know his shit, was good at it, and knew how to recognize true idiots from the gitgo. Sure he has strong opinions, but so do all successful people. He doesn't suffer fools well. Sorry you feel WERA is a 'silly microcosm; and if that's the case, why are you here?

No, Miladin has not been lucky, but may well be the best ever AMA SB rider. Rulebook or not, I would expect the AMA to make every effort to get any of the top guys back in the show, within the guidelines of the rulebook, which always has a bit of room for interpretation by the race director (as it should). Like him or not, he could win championships anywhere given the right ride. Have you ever high-sided at over 100mph? I have, and you don't get up quickly most times. Best to lay low and evaluate your condition before you get up and run around.

Bostrum probably told the medics he was done, which is why there was no effort to get him back in the show.

mmfoor

2. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Mladin doesn't crash often so sometimes, when u do have that rare, major tearoff, ESPECIALLY, a highside where u hit your head, it's quite possible that he encountered a decreased level of consciousness that had him a little loopy. Once he sat up, realized that he was far off the track and out of harms way, he probably felt comfortable laying there as his head and knee throbbed in pain. After a few minutes and things start coming back to you, it's definitely a plus to realize that the race was redflagged, you feel well enough to get back out there, AND that the bike was rideable with a little TLC.

He's out there to do one thing, WIN, and to push his hardest while doing so. Yeah, he may have had an oscar winning performance but when the points are on the line, not to mention that FAT superbike payout, you do what u have to do, not only for yourself, but everyone else who depends on you to finish on top of the box, or as close to at as possible.

For the lover and the haters, I bet 4th place and off the box for the first time in like forever, was a decent "compromise" lol.

3. edlaw13

edlaw13 Bells Honda Racing

+1

4. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

mladin was faking, the whole scenario was bullshit, and further highlites the AMA as bushleague compared to other national and world series.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been through turn one at MMP many times.
    Have you?
    Had he not hammed it up for the red flag and just gotten out of the way like the racers that crashed in Tooele and Clubhouse (among others) corners did, the race could have continued without him. He knew that and made sure it didn't.
    There was only a need for the red flag due to him laying there long enough. Once he saw it, he got up and ran.

6. xtest

xtest Village Idiot

:stupid:

FWIW - I like Matt, however he definitely played the AMA.

You would think that a doctor would need to ok him prior to getting back on track - for him and every other riders safety. :tut:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Which race was that? Certainly not the one from MMP Sunday. I watched as he was helped into the ambulance. He certainly wasn't running at that time.

8. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

i think he did like any professional would have done ,he knows the system ,he worked it .whats the big deal ? At least he had the sense to keep himself in the race.I dont care too much for binladen,i think if he should have left AMA for more challenging things long ago ,,but whatever ,but give him credit for being a champion and having his wits about him,hey like someone said ,he could have done yates and made a gravel angel mid corner to get a flag.Soccer players dramatize shit for calls .he did the same ..big deal .I think it was smart .

spies wins the championship this year and next ,spies goes to GP and dimladin never gets redemption ..i can live with that .lol

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This is hilarious. How many of you have crashed, then laid there for a bit getting your bearings? Hell I've seen riders loopy enough we've flown them out and they're back at the track later that day doing just fine.

Could he have played the system? Sure. Did he? No way to know but based on the impact with the ground and subsequent tumbling, I don't think so. I think he got slammed and it took a while to get his shit together.

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

id say matt is the kind of pro that after a crash knows what to do to stay in the race and once he saw the flag he knew he had another shot.Im sure there isnt a lot of other people that would have got up .I think they prob saw yoshimura frantically putting the bike backtogether and said "what the hell give them a few the guy must be fuked up anyway "

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yes, it was an exaggeration. Just like his acting job.
    Thanks for playing right into it.
    His running came a couple minutes later, after he rudely excused himself from the medical staff.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I doubt they factored what the crew was doing in the slightest bit.

Look at Barber and the ruling about Hacking and May....

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

He ran very well after getting dropped off by med crew to his pits

14. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

How do y'all know he did grab his leg in pain, and then as his sense returned, realized he is in the impact zone of a VERY fast turn and decided to boogie on out of there. I've crashed and laid there for a bit, thought I was hurt, only to get back up and continue.... In the world of the AMA it's put up the wins or find a new ride.....

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You guys can slam Mat all you want, but leave Tonya out of this. Tonya was framed, I tell ya, FRAMED!

16. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

Pro racers- the ones getting serious money to race- will and have feigned injury while on the racing surface to TRY to draw a red flag. I was on the corner at Barber when B Boz took out Miguel and Mig definitely pulled a stunt to draw the red and was really pissed when it was cleared before they came around again. Others not getting the serious $ don’t have a backup bike and/or crew to whip the crashed one into shape for a restart so we don’t see this from them.
    As far as this one, didn’t see it, but it sounds like the only advantage MM got was the benefit of a factory ride to somewhat save his position in the race and championship. He’s still 2nd for the season and any acting was a smart move to preserve the seven? figure bonus for possibly winning the championship!
    OTOH, I’ve cornerworked dozens of AMA races and it does seem to take them longer than a club race to recover from a red. The big racing series’ that are beholden to the big $ sponsors are going to do whatever the big wheels want. (don’t get me started on MotoGP) It’s not like the racers themselves are paying for the show and have any input on operations.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  17. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Actually, I have not raced an AMA event there, but I have indeed been there and seen near where he crashed. Plus, on the TV (Where I watched the race) one could clearly see the bike was near the edge of teh track surface.

Are you insinuating that I need to have crashed in that corner to know the exacts as to what location is safe and what is considered too close and needing a red flag?

I have crashed many a time to where I have jumped up or even crawled away as far as I could from teh track surface knowing I needed to try and get out of harm's way. It is instinct, not something you think over in your head. Once I crawled away, I have collapsed or gone into a lay down position and assesed injuries or even layed there just to get my bearings.

Mongo saw my highside at Grattan in 2005 - it was the same thing. I pretty much crawled away, fell to teh ground and was on my side until the EMS came. I got in, was feeling better, got some water, they looked me over on the way to teh pits and I went back into the race later. I could have joined right back in had there been a need.

Mladin might have easily done the same thing.

You guys are arm chairing it pretty bad. Some people will always find a reason to bitch and whine. Others do something about it. Others just race and what comes along, they deal with it. What do you do?

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wasn't there and didn't see it on TV so I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one (for now).:D

19. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

Stop making sense , it's not as fun :)

20. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

But in keeping with BBS tradition, why not just go on an ignorant opinion-based rant?