1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red flags in AMA

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Jun 24, 2007.

1. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

Is that a come on, big boy?

2. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Your opinion is based on bullshit and his is based on experience.
    It is really that simple.
    You are entitled to your opinion, just as we are all entitled to dismiss your opinion based on your lack of experience.

3. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

Who tech'd the bike? Assuming that the reason for the red flag was safety, then I think someone would verify that the bike (and rider) were safe to go back in, no? Before hitting it with compressed air, I distinctly heard a stuck throttle. Is that safe?

Now, before you say no one techs a bike after falling without a flag, that is not what happened here, is it?

His fall changed the outcome of the race, for himself and others. He should have been done.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

i dont mind the rider geting to restart giving certain situations but looking at what i saw (on tv) matt played the ama and the other racers. he sat right up immediately after the wreck, then he layed don and was holding his leg like it were broken. ( to draw the red) then not a minute later, he is running to the pits? if there were parts scattered ok call a red but this was a lame excuse to make up for another mistake while in the lead.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how most in the immediate surrounding area of myself at the track saw it. Quite a bit of chatter about it when walking around after as well.
    He drew the red flag by not getting up and out of the way. Once the red flag was thrown, he got annoyed with the medical crew and ran to his pit.
    There wasn't anything at all to clean up out where he and his bike ended up, plenty far off the track.

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I'll agree I didnt think the Red was warranted but that wasnt the question.

7. cataclasite

cataclasite Registered Abuser

+1

And I sure wish my teammate at the WERA 6hr last weekend had suffered similar injuries or had attended the same acting class as Mladin (whichever be the case) - we probably would've finished higher, maybe even on the podium.... :D

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Good point.

9. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    Had me fooled until I saw him jogging back to the pits :D

10. Don't tell mom

Don't tell mom Well-Known Member

There aren't a lot of red flags in the K Mart parking lot.:D

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Red flag definately should have been thrown as the rider was down and not moving.

I think Mat is a faker though...

12. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

I LOL to this whole thread.
    I love conspiracy theorists and Mladin/AMA/whatever haters. You guys get your panties in a bunch over the silliest things and rarely have any basis in reality. Just like this ill informed idiot stunta, you jump at any reason to bash and form opinions based on your limited experiences and emotion. Then when someone like mongo voices reason and brings knowledge to the discussion you run and hide or revert back to feeble name calling and 7 year old antics. It's sad and humorous at the same time.

Stunta got only 1 thing right in this thread. Mladin has been very lucky with his racing and the timing of red flags.

I for one congratulate Matt on an impressive run from last on the grid to 4th.
    His team worked extremely hard to put that bike back together. They did so under the watchful eye of AMA tech. Yes the bike stuck to the limiter when it was started up after returning but after picking a few rocks out of the throttle tube twist assembly that issue was resolved. Something expert mechanics like the Yosh crew quickly and methodically remedied. It's things like this that explain why Mladin and Yosh are the champions they are.

13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've enjoyed reading every post in the thread. I'm a Mladin fan but I think Mladin (like Duhamel) played the system to get the red flag and keep his chances of a good result alive. Is that any different from a hind catcher framing a pitch that was outside the strike zone in a way that convinced the umpire to call it a strike? Is it different from any other of thousands of examples people can draw up in nearly every sport where creative manipulation of the officiating crew resulted in a "win"?

Of course it's possible Mat wasn't playing the system and just got extremely lucky with how things turned out so he could be back on the bike for the restart (albeit in the back of the grid). I have my suspicions but that's all they are.

Moralize and opine all you want. Mat's goal is to win another championship. Period. It's not like he hired a thug to break Speis' kneecaps. Even if he should get an Oscar nomination for best rendition of "I've fallen and I can't get up!" he is only guilty of using everything legally in his power to do what it takes to win another championship.

He still had to pass a lot of other riders to get that 4th place finish. No blue flags clearing his path either. He has the heart of a champion.

14. Stuntah191

Stuntah191 Guest

That's it then. Mongo's 20 years of waving a red flag hands down dismisses what most can see. Mat simply is the luckiest rider ever in the AMA. Although, just last year, when he crashed under pressure at Barber, he got yet another lucky break. How strange? It must REALLY piss Mongo off that I don't care what he thinks. I wonder how he fares out in the big scary REAL WORLD where no one else cares about his silly microcosm either? I can see a cashier or a waitress laughing at him now. "But I'm MONGO the scary RACE DIRECTOR!!!"

He can spout experience all he wants. It won't change the fact that he was sitting on his ass watching the same thing, and has no better facts, or theory.

15. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Couldn't be. He hasn't used f@cktard even once.

17. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

And he uses caps and puncuation. Still...

18. Brian811

Brian811 ....

On a restart, I figure AMA only takes as long as is needed to figure the new grids based on the previous lap. I guess I never really thought about the crashed rider getting a second chance. Bostrom didn't get a second chance in Race 1, guess he got up to fast... In a way it does seem unfair, because if the race had continued Mladin would not have finished.

It certainly was some impressive riding from Matt after the restart. He landed so hard on that Right knee! That is almost identical to how I hit my knee, but I ended up with a torn PCL and MCL. He was LUCKY!

19. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

:stupid: Matt was trying to pull the red to keep is championship from going down the drain. He knew if he couldn't pull a red his championship chances were over.

20. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Now it goes from AMA playing favorites to Mladin to now Matt forced a red flag.

Does anyone bitching about the flag and procedures realize just how fast turn 1 is out there? Let's say they didn't do a red flag and the ambulance and crew were there picking the bike up. It was less than 5 feet off the track surface. Pretty damn dangerous in that location.

Anyone who has highsided knows the adrenaline that is pumping through you. Sure, he sat up, but he quickly went down to his side. He looked like he was in a bit of pain on his hip or knee. Adrenaline wears down a tad and you realize shit hurts.

He didn't pull an acting job and get the flag. His location warranted the flag.

Rules on the red flag are stated CLEARLY in the rulebook. They've been that way for a long time. He was to be gridded dead last. No advantage to having that position. Well, except if you are as talented a rider as he is.

I suppose the amount of time to call the track green at Road America was not an issue since not so many people seemingly hate Spies. Funny how no one seems to whine about how long it took to start the race up there with his fairly low speed crash on the warm-up...

You guys are arm chair wussies. Give Mladin credit where credit is due. He rode an amazing race. He made some factory riders look pretty silly out there. His bike and body were nowhere near perfect. Yet, he finished fourth. I'd say he's obviously pretty good.

If he acted a little (I think he did a bit), fine. However, to think he caused the red flag to be thrown because of it and not where he wa located is absurd. You guys are funny to listen to...