1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red flags in AMA

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

And sometimes a single incident won't warrant a red flag, but if there are multiple incidents around the track, the plug is pulled.
    Or if several bikes do the same thing in one corner, there might be an unseen condition causing it.
    Bottom line, it's a judgement call, and it's in one person's hands only.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

i just read a quote from matt that said, he reckons he will be running by tuesday! :Puke:

i respect his drive and will to win but dont cry wolf when ya aint hurt! oh well its like they say in da hood, dont hate da playa, hate da game yo! 4real! but i still cannot stand a con artist!

3. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

I was there watching from the Erda Grandstand (east side). The only way anyone will know if it was a flop is when MM writes his memoirs. The only way you'll prevent flops is to change the rules.

I watched two different offs out of the fast Tooele turn. Both riders crawled off to a waving yellow. I also watched several riders go off the Clubhouse turn and clear the area to waving yellows.

But one of those was a wicked highside with the rider coming to rest just off the edge of the track. (I can't remember if it was the supersport or superstock race.) The yellow was waving as this rider lay there motionless and looking seriously dead for what seemed like a full minute. Finally a crash truck started towards the fallen rider but stopped short, wisely thinking a red would fly and reluctant to create a larger hazard with the truck. At this point the rider made it to his hands and knees and started a very slow crawl to safety. You could tell the guy was hurting really bad. A couple of safety crew workers got out and after way too long, finally made it to the rider on foot.

I kept waiting for a red flag, but no! Here comes the crash truck to five foot off the track edge, directly in the worst runout position possible, to retrieve the bike.

I don't care to guess if MM flopped. I do want to know why they didn't throw a red for this poor sod. And I AM assuming that the same race director made both calls, including directing the crash truck!

And yes, I've raced and worked races at MMP and where MM went down is not in the prime Sunset Turn (one) disaster zone known as "Sunset Beach". But it is just about the same speeds as where they "parked" a crash truck in Clubhouse turn to just a waving yellow.

Now can I have some pie?

4. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

I saw the wreck several times in slow motion on the jumbo-tron...It looked nasty and when he didnt get up...My first thought....This is going to kill the AMA. I felt the same way about boxing when Tyson bit off Holyfields ear.

No matter how it went down...I'm glad he was back out there riding and I'm glad that there will be something of interest to watch.

5. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

1. What say you JU?

2. Anyone here must give huge respect to Mongo for years of racing experience. If you don't his argument wins without having to press a key.

3. It totally could have been the way the broadcast was done. I thought it took an incredible amount of time to restart. There was nothing on the track debris wise and Mladin was laughing about it with what looked like AMA official in his pit. It was all very coincidental to me. The horn sounded for restart just as finishing touches were done to his bike.

4. I like watching Mladin ride but hate superbike AMA racing. It blows. I had more fun riding at Barber than watching the race...even though Nesba blows too!

5. Mat-next time make a snow angel like Yates or pick the damn bike up like Russell at Daytona and win from last!

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I would rather have a rider flop, get a red flag, fix his bike and start at the back of the pack instead of having some asshole who is desperate for parts drag a ton of gravel, leaking oil/water and a potentially dangerous bike (throttle sticking, brake problems) on to the track.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Ya'll are iditos......everything is a conspircy with you guys. Its all there in the rule book.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

:stupid: :clap:

mmfoor

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Dunno, depends on what's available. I hope to be up there when the gates open at 3. If there's nothing good up top with power I'll go down to T1.
    I'll call!!!

mmfoor

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

:Poke: Only real conspiracy is your bike getting black flagged for a "leak" and "smoke" in a rain race... AMA couldn't have a privateer up that far so they made "the call"

11. Chip

Chip Registered

Thanks for the support.....but that was not a conspircy either. The AMA was getting calls for smoke around the track during a rain race. If the bike was leaking the event would have been done for the weekend. I appreciate the AMA looking out for everybodies saftey. I am not sure they needed to look at the bike three times.....but they did need to look at the bike.

Now the eagel eye corner workers who can spot smoke off a bike with a 50ft roster tail coming off of it and then tell the difference between smoke and steam.......I would like to talk to them...:rolleyes:

Either way....the ama made the right call.

12. Brian811

Brian811 ....

I don't kow about any conspiracies, it all looked pretty good to me. He took advantage of the rule because it exists, who wouldn't. None of us can deny what a huge impact Matt took on his knee. I would like to see the rules updated to match something similar to cparty27's suggestion.

13. unome

unome Banned

I think you all make great points. the race should have been red flagged. when spies crashed he could have been seriously hurt. I thought his legs were broked the way he was acting. I was amazed the way he got up an jogged back to the pits. thank god.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

unome, You drinkin' with ORA?

15. unome

unome Banned

my lips have never tasted a drop of sin. what was wrong with my post. I read the magazines. I play the videos. I know motorcycling. wanna bet. done beat the drunk and I can beat you.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Which crash were you referrin' to there nome?
    Beat me? On the track? At dominoes? You a bad hombre?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:Pop: