1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Id act and driver's licenses

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Feb 27, 2019.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I can't understand how the same people screaming for increased border security would be so against RealID. The government should have been doing this all along. You only have to do it once then as long as you have a RealID, getting a new one when you move or renew is a piece of cake.

jase likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I haven't read the details, but is this for just a DL or an official ID. If you have to go through this hullabaloo for a DL that serves as an ID, OK. Illegals would have a hard time getting a DL. If there are exceptions allowed which circumvent the intent, it is a waste of effort.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not that far off, actually. The cheek swab. Fingerprints are soooo 20th century.

About the same time, you can expect that implanted rfid chips will be required. First they will be voluntary for THE CHIIIIIIILDREN. Then they will only be required for indefensible groups like chomos. Then all sex offenders, then all parolees, then all security sensitive employees, then everyone.

4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

In CA you can choose to get (or renew) a DL that is a "Federal Non-Compliant" card that doesn't require the same scrutiny as Real ID.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

yup.. the wife just got her real id 2 days ago. 2 paper bills with address, passport, ss card. what a joke. btw..she works for an airline and goes through background checks every couple of years.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is supposed to be both if you get a RealID, but you can still get a DL that is not RealID compliant in most states.

Soon, if you want to fly or enter a Federal building, you will need a RealID, Federal Government ID or passport.

I look at it this way, if we ever hope to get to the point of knowing who it legally in this country, who is a US citizen and who can legally vote, this is a good first step. Without this first step I can't see a way to ever get there.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It is for a DL, Mom has a military ID Card.. it was NOT acceptable as Identification... WTF?
    Only having ML's from 3 previous marriages along with Bank Statement, Water Bill, Insurance Bill, and Birth Cert..

They didn't offer her any other options.. like a NON-Real ID DL... just NO.. Not without Your Papers.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Your drivers license/state issued Id card is going to be/is a piece of federal identification it seems. Like was said, there will be certain places where you will need one to get in. Like nuclear facilities. Hooray.... Let's all drive to 3 mile island for lunch.

Airplanes etc... I'm just assuming a passport would work the same in an airport. I wonder if you showed up at the airport with a gas bill and social security card, proof of insurance and current registration, would let you on the plane.

l don't think there is any way around it contrary to what other people have posted. I've searched our dmv website and haven't found anything that would lead me to think you could have a plain driver's license.

Just me, but I'm definitely not bitching about border security. I could care less either way and this isnt going to affect any of that as far as I can tell. I mean, they're already here at that point.

There are provisions of some kind for foreigners to get driver's licenses. Like was said, just check the Hispanic box.

There are plenty of people who are American born citizens driving without licenses and illegally. The parts of Baltimore I frequent I know this to be a fact. Don't pay your state taxes. Skip a few child support payments. How is this going to change that? It's not. What it's doing is permitting the federal government to likely dip into the coffers, it's complicating a process that shouldn't need to be, and it's not really solving any problem that I can see.

Because I have an automobile registration card and insurance at some residential address, that somehow is proof enough that now I'm a legal citizen? Um.... Doesn't the DMV already have that information????? And if I don't own a vehicle, the stupid things they want from you as proof of residency are insane. Just to keep your driver's license current. I have more than 1 friend who is a live aboard who uses a someone else's house as a mailing address for his automobile stuff.

At what point will dhs be allowed to suspend your driver's license for something? Felony conviction? Add no driver's license to the list.

It's just silly that there are people like my parents and Britt's mom who are going to have to be put through the inconvenience for another charade of security.

Next thing you know, they'll be going back to see that your great grandmother over stayed her visa in 1910 and they'll be putting your ass on a plane back to italy or some shit. Lol

MachineR1, fastfreddie and Britt like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IF it isn't a requirement for everyone, it is BS. Phasing is BS also because some progressive is going to complain down the road that not giving everyone a secure ID is discriminatory. You can take that to the bank. (Where you may, or may not be able to cash a check.)

joec likes this.
  10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that isn't a problem many people actually want to solve.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Our dmv website has a pretty good list of documents they accept in my opinion. I think I used my car registration, insurance card, and passport the last time I renewed. For some reason my passport was in my glovebox when I went, so I just had to run out to my truck .

The website also says without the correct papers, there may be extra cost associated and delay with getting the documents needed. Keep in mind, if she's driving with an expired license that's a potential additional moving violation in addition to what she's already been stopped for.

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'm usually on the other side of the fence when it comes to government intrusion, but I just renewed mine in OH and opted for the Real ID and didn't think twice about it. The main reason I did so is that when I am traveling domestically, I don't usually lug around my passport.

They were a little more particular about the photo than they usually are which I think is a good think as far identifying someone from their picture.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

As usual, they crack down on those who are already law-abiding citizens
    and do nothing to solve real problems.
    If "undocumented residents" pose no problems then why do I need documents?

joec and Britt like this.
  14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

82... not computer fluent...she had to stand in line waiting for over an hour the first time , The 2nd time for 2hrs, then was told she needed the OTHER 2 ML's in Addition to her last one from 1978..( 2 of the 3 DMV's were closed down) add this to the recent hurricane shit she went thru and all the BS dealing with the insurance companies..it was stressful dealings for something that has not been in the past.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    joec likes this.
  15. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

So I need 47 types of ID to get a drivers license but no ID to vote?

Britt likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is really weird - does she not have a current passport? Evelyne didn't have to go through that kind of stupid to get her DL/ID here. Just the basics - passport, couple of bills and a W2 with her social on it. If you're using a birth cert instead of a passport then yeah, the name changes have to be covered. I'd get the passport first then upgrade the state ID.

fastfreddie likes this.
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No PassPort.. hasn't left the US since we came home from the Philippines in 72...
    Edit: She had one in her current name from the 80's it expired..years ago.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn, too late now but it might have been easier to get that first. Maybe only one marriage license then.

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yeah
    Yeah way too late.. she has fresh documents on the way... will get it all squared and I am certain will give them all A Hardy FU on the way out the door.

joec likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator