1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Id act and driver's licenses

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Feb 27, 2019.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Last time I went they had converted registration renewals and a bunch of other things to self service kiosks. Which when they're working are awesome because they are 24/7. But you have to enter an email address. There were 2 at the location I went to. One was out of order. So the line was fairly long. This couple that had waited patiently in line who were at least octogenarians get to the kiosk and have no idea what to do. So the assistant woman comes over to help. I'm like 2 people behind then and all of a sudden it's time to enter your email address. Literally everything came to a complete standstill. I don't know what they ended up doing, but the finally were able to leave with a handful of kiosk documents.

So I completely understand.

Britt likes this.
  2. joec

joec brace yourself

They probably tried to tell her to fill out a form online.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm not sure that would fly. In essence, you'd be charging people to vote.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No need to charge for the ID.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm torn. I want increased security, but I also want freedom. They way I see it, if you're caught doing something wrong, you need to properly identify yourself. If you're minding your own business, it's none of anyone else's to know who you are.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Except they do. I've only scanned the last few pages but numbers like $50, $90, and $180 jump out.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

My Sister has taken it over.. she is somewhat WebSavvy... she has the almost $225 worth of ancient history on the way.

joec likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Until you are accused of doing something wrong. Chicken and egg.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ok Orwell. It’s still on them to prove it was me, not on me to prove that it wasn’t.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

As far as I know no one is charging for the ID (except the DL part). At least here in VA you can get a RealID non-DL for free if you have all the documents.

Unfortunately, the folks that own the paperwork can charge you if you don't have a copy of it. That isn't the same thing as charging for the ID. With that said, there should be state agencies to assist with stuff like that for people that can't afford to pay the fees to get the documents. I believe that such assistance is available here in Virginia.

I keep a copy of my SS card, Birth Cert, Marriage Cert, Divorce Decree and Marriage Cert (round 2) just so I never have to go back and pay for a copy later.

With that said, this can be a real PITA for some older folks. My FIL had a hard time getting his Passport even though he had served in the Army. It seems the records office burned down in the town where he was born, so there are no official copies of his Bert Certificate and no way to get one. It took a letter to his congressman including copies of his service documents to get the passport thing ironed out.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:crackup:Riiiiighttt. Let me know how that works out for you. I think T would disagree.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So you think more bureaucracy to deal with the newly added bureaucracy is really a good way to go? How about they hire people who are not mindless drones that barely have the ability to tick off boxes. From what Britt said, his mom more than proved her identity and even had a military ID but that was not enough for the mouth breathers...

joec likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I assure you the peeps checking off the boxes rarely have the latitude to change a process to make it better. Chances are they get just as frustrated as the applicant.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Our state has a list with the combinations of documents that are required.

If your state does not, that is not the fault of the person behind the counter it is in the fault of those in that enacted the law or the bureaucrats that implemented it that way.
    If they have a list and your Mother's documents didn't meet that criteria, then that is not the fault of the person behind the counter. If they don't follow procedure, they lose their job, as well they should or else why bother with RealID at all if Joe blow behind the counter can just bypass the rules anytime they like?
    If your Mother's documents met the criteria, then you should have asked to speak to a supervisor to get it straightened out.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Perception/illusion of...

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

There is a good dress shop not far from your home.
    Lipstick and wig in the mall.

I know, I know, "you are welcome!"

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your view is somewhat different than mine...If you work for the Government...YOU are a Part of it...and Yes I view YOU as Part of it...You can say, "I didn't make the Laws, all you want...YOU Took the Fkn Job...You Knew What The Job Was/Is..." Shit rolls down hill.

When my Mom went the first time..they told her what she needed...Marriage License.. was what she didn't have....when she went back...EVERY MARRIAGE LICENSE since you were 1st married. They didn't explain that the first time...she had all the other documents with the same name and addy from the last 40-45yrs...it is just stupid.

joec likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Because new programs are never instituted after anyone takes a job.:rolleyes:

19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Yikes, $27 here in Ohio for the Real ID DL. I did have to get a certified copy of my birth certificate from the court years ago for my passport but I don't think they charged me anything for it.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Don't care....sorry.

DMV is not my favorite place..."We have Rules"..."We don't get paid to care"..I have heard BOTH statements come out of the mouths of workers there.

The best one, "I need to see a copy of your insurance card"..You have it right there on the computer, it is online on the state site..."I still need to see your copy of it, for verification".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019