1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Id act and driver's licenses

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Feb 27, 2019.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Just had lunch with my mom who was going to renew her driver's license. Wow. More federal government putting they hands into our pockets. She's 70.

Proof you live in a house. Birth certificates. Passports. Social security card. Utility bills. State tax filing (like the comptroller doesn't flag your license for non renewal of you have unpaid) And then you have to make an appointment in Maryland to renew. Wow.

It makes me wonder how many people are live aboards. Living in an RV in a campground. Or something similar, that are fraudulently applying for what is now a federal Id I'm guessing. Wouldn't it just be easier to give people the opportunity to get a license and actually know where they are?

Isn't this part of the problem they were having out in the Midwest with people not having addresses on thier homes. Those people living remotely?

When I was in college, I squatted in a warehouse in Boston for years. Just paid my 50 bucks or whatever it was, wrote down the address of the building, no issues. I just hate the added bullshit. Who comes up with these ideas? How is it making me so much safer?

Yeah yeah.... Drivings a privilege.....

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just tell her to check the Hispanic box and list an address at a roach motel, she'll breeze right through.

Shenanigans, BHP41, kangasj and 2 others like this.
  3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

It's the Real ID law. It was passed in 2005 and has been slowly implemented since then

People have to prove they're citizens to renew their drivers licenses. Be glad you're not a thrice married woman who took her husband's name each timr

Next year you won't be able to get on a plane, or back into the U S without one.

Security comes with a price tag.

joec likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What security?

sdg, MachineR1, beac83 and 2 others like this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You don't have to get real id driving license, you can just renew it as standard driving license (at least in my state). But you won't be able to use it as ID for some stuff.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

That's what "they" say, for security
    You remember 9-11?
    That's how it came to be

Are you doubting Congress? (There's no emogi to properly convey what I'm thinking)

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Nothing says safety like a DMV clerk.

MachineR1, TX Joose, Chris and 3 others like this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Isn't that where they send the TSA occifers who couldn't cut the mustard?

joec likes this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

Sorta makes a passport redundant. I guess I'm still not clear on what good it's doing most of the population to have dhs involved with issuing drivers licenses. It's just more beurocratic bullshit to get more cash and control to the fed.

I would assume that if you're in a situation like I was in back in college, knowingly helping someone like me and the 100 or so people that lived in that building to get a license by providing a mailing address is probably a crime.

Is it preventing mass shootings? Is it stopping drug crime? Is it saving the rain forest? Then what the hell is it doing other than forcing people who have lived here all of thier lives to jump through more hoops? I mean, shes 70 years old and now has to prove to the DMV she's somehow a citizen. So dumb.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Get standard ID for driving

Use passport for flying

BigBird likes this.
  11. joec

joec brace yourself

If you don't have a passport I think you have to bring a birth certificate, SS card, tax filing to prove it. No passport, please provide 2 other forms of proof.. i used to renew my driver's license online and they with just mail it to me. Or I could go in and renew in person and walk out the door with it. What's funny is the license I currently have have is good until 2023. When I change addresses they just send me a printed paper card with my new address that I'm supposed to present if requested. I now have 3 of these paper cards in my wallet in addition to the actual physical license. It sure makes going to the municipal dumps easy!

I mean i can see when you initially get your driver's license being required to do all of this. But Everytime for renewal? Renewing my passport wasn't this difficult. Maybe thereth trying to tell us something

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

In some states, maybe all, you can still just renew your regular license and it'll be fine for anything other than I.D. at an airport. If your Mom never flys, just go that route if her state offers it.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Total nonsense. They make legal, law abiding citizens jump through all these hoops, then they give illegals a pass.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I'm actually fine with it, but I'd like to add voter I.D. should be required as well. Prove your citizenship to obtain a license. Provide your license at the polls. Solves the illegals voting issue, providing the workers at the polls are being kept in check.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

I have friends my age who don't drive. No driver's license. Actually one just got out of driver's Ed in the fall. He's 35. Can't drive without his wife in the car. It's hilarious. But he would still have to go through the same problems to get a state Id. Passport is good for 10 years. If you didn't need a "state"issued driver's license, it would make more sense to just get a passport. What's next? Cheek swab and fingerprints?

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

My Mom is 82, went last week to renew her Florida DL...40+yrs her name has been the same and she has lived in the same house...no accidents, no tickets...she called me in tears...In addition to the documents listed above, They want a certified copy of her Marriage License to my Dad...from 1954...and from 1973...and my StepDad in 1978..(she had that one).
    Bureau of Vital Statistics wants $90 each for the Cert. Copies...so $180 to prove who you were married to over your lifetime...She is not amused.

SpeedyE and joec like this.
  17. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

When I renewed my passport in 2012 I paid extra to get the passport card as well and I have been using that ever since for ID when I fly. I have no intention of ever going through the trouble to get a Real ID drivers license.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm just going to go illegal, it seems to be so much easier.
    All the same rights without all the paperwork.
    I need a disguise.

MachineR1, SpeedyE and R Acree like this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

they already have that from ancestry.com or whatever that DNA site was that surrendered all the data to the FBI

fingerprints are not even relevant any more with motion and facial profiling on camera

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Jesus, that is about the same amount of documentation we had to provide for our Green Cards. So just to renew a drivers license those cocksucking worthless bureaucrats are asking an 82 yr old lady that has lived in the US her entire life for the same information we needed to provide to become permanent residents in the US. Who thinks this is a good idea?

I work with explosives and radiation at work and have a TWIC card which gives me unrestricted access to maritime facilities and vessels. Getting the official authorization to do all of that took less paperwork than renewing a drivers license...

What gets me is all of the people who just willingly fall in line with this shit and buy the " it is for security" line of bullshit when it is just another make work program to allow government to strip more money out of our pockets.