1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle can hall of fame/shame

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 14, 2012.

1. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

I've done lots of them :crackup: The Satin White was my favourite but it was a maintenance bitch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here's the first "shame" pic. Couldn't find any better, so use your imagination. Sharkskinz bodywork with flaking gel coat, straight flat black over the top. Every time the bodywork flexed a little more black came off. Then my friend leaned into an embankment at 30 mph, a lot more came off the right side. "Character" is what they call it, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you sell it, or did you have to pay someone to take it off your hands?

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My 04 600:
    [​IMG]

My 08 750:
    [​IMG]

Both were done with duplicolor engine enamel color and clear coat.

5. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

What I'm using now! Specifically the black and green.

These wheels were painted black, I went back to green, the inner hub is the original kawi 12 yr old green, it's freaking close!!

Attached Files:

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

My tonka bike:cool:
    [​IMG]

no i didn't know what i was doing.:D

everything actually turned out really great until i ran out of blue to put the final coat on the upper fairing. :( and i didn't do the tank. was gonna be a bigger pain in the ass than i wanted to prep.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It was a complete bargain and still running today. Honestly, I'm surprised that it sold, too.

8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

A beter pic of my 02.
    [​IMG]

9. was92v

was92v Active Member

Both of these were spray can paint jobs

Attached Files:

10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I've a spot in my garage for that #92 Yamaha :up:

11. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

My colors with '04 OEM layout. Wad of twisted metal now :(

Attached Files:

12. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Okay, here is a combination of relatively bad stuff on my RD, rattle can f. fender (some dark red don't remember) , seat (appliance enamel white rattle can), tank (white gel coat, never painted) and actual paint on the fairing (the white) and the stripe (more of that red rattle can stuff). It is now 10 years old and maybe has 30 (?) or 40 (?) or 50(?) 2 or 3 day races on it in more or less this configuration, and it is starting to look pretty tired. In my race car days, we called this 50-50 paint. Doesn't look so bad, 50 feet away, 50 mph going by. For me, the cardinal rule of painting race machinery is, paint it a rattle can color so you can fix the crash damage easily.
    [​IMG]

13. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

most of this stuff is quite impressive :up:

14. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Still really like the rainbow brite, skittles version...well before you tossed it. :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That must have been a major PITA to mask off.

16. Me too :(

Took forever, and getting both sides symmetrical was a pain too.

First race weekend with the new paint :mad:

[​IMG]

17. backcountryme

18. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

OP said Hall of SHAME y'all.

Witness the 06 ZX with Kawi dirtbike green rattle canned upper/lower with Kawi streetbike green OEM tank/cover and tail for that subtle non-match. Note the scuffs from a few get offs that were washed and then ignored. Add the Franken-stitched tank cover and the Salvage yard writing that was never erased and you've got a bike that was at stage 1 ratted out. It was later "rescued" from me by a more well intentioned friend and still rides the roads today. And looks alot better.

Attached Files:

19. backcountryme

Ok, that is shameful. Hahah