1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattle can hall of fame/shame

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Well considering I was a painter at a conversion van company when I had mine, could had just did it at work (which I should had at least cleared the tank at work. The spray clear isnt hardend and the gas that spilled a bit ate it). Owners and my super could care less if I did spray it there. Just didnt want to drag all of it there.

2. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Here's my 2009 season bike - all rattle can apart from the tank (stock).

[​IMG]

And under some creative photo-lighting...

[​IMG]

3. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

I have seen LOTS of rat bikes at the track over the years. Y'all can do better than this....SHOW YOUR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Not a race bike but I did rattle can my daily comuter. Primed it was going to paint it silver like the frame but just lost intrest.

[​IMG]

5. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

There is some talent in here with a paint can. I would have been laughed out of here if you guys saw my first paint job.

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Here's the 1000 from a couple years ago.
    [​IMG]

And this one:
    [​IMG]

7. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

How are you guys taping off your plastics to get these cool designs without getting over spray on other areas? And what is you sanding process?

8. Tape off the initial lines, then tape trashbags over the parts you don't want any paint on.

9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

You can use 3/16 to 1/4" masking tape to make the curvy stuff then overlap it with 3/4" tape, then mask it off with newspaper, brown wrapping or whatever you have to keep the paint off other areas.

As for sanding, I just scuff the old paint with 220 wet, then primer, wet sand with 400 grit, washing it with dish washing detergent (very small amount) rise twice to get all the junk off, hit it with a tack cloth then apply the color, using long sweeping strokes, and applying a light coat, I do that w/o sanding for 3 coats, then a light sand with 800 wet, then a fairly thick color coat, but not so thick as to cause it to run, if you do get a run, leave it, with till it's dry, then sand it down with 400 or 600 if your picky.

Make sure it's at least 72 degrees out side, I also made a makeshift spray booth out of 6 mil plastic that you can buy rolls at home depot, get it set up, then wet the ground/floor down, that will keep the dust in check, just wear a good dust mask..:D I never added a clear coat, but you can, might be a tad shinier and will help protect the color. Just make sure you let the paint DRY between coats.

10. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Thanks for the advice. :up:

Sounds like it shouldn't be too expensive. Any brand of paint y'all recommend?

11. Hammer 4

I used Krylon, although there are prolly better paints, Krylon stick well to plastic and fiberglass..:up:

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I'm done with rattle-cans. One tiny fuel spill and its just a mess.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally have something to show. Here is my YSR.

14. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Even with a good clear coat?

15. Hammer 4

Don't spill any fuel..:D

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I knew I recognized that paintjob. That sucks that you went down for sure, but the red flag you brought out allowed me to re-grid at my original starting spot since I got shoved off track in T9 on the first lap and was in last place when I got back off the dirt.

;)

EDIT: wait, this looks like a different bike???? Equally colorful but different wheels????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

As long as it looks good from 50' at 50mph.:D

18. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

There are two part urethane spray clears available I've heard people having a pretty good results with offering an actual hardener.

19. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Still talking about rattle cans right?

20. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member