1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Points and the future of V8

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Wheel Bearing, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

First part: I searched because I know it was discussed but for the life of me I can't find it. If I remember correctly, wasn't there a cap of points you could reach per region? 80? 100? Here's my situation. I'm racing in the Atlantic coastal region, and missed the July RRR double header as I was at PittRace. I did well in all other rounds, almost making a complete clean sweep aside from the 2nd place I got at Cycle Jam. Assuming I do well at Road A again in September, I should have 90+ points (97 if I would win it). The GNF is double points, and with the cap of points you can get, I would still have a mathematical chance of winning the National title (assuming I won, obviously). Basically, if I don't have a chance of winning the National title (even if I won the GNF), I'm not driving 14 hours one way. I love Barber, but not that much. I'm just trying to plan out the rest of the season at this point.

Second part: Is V8 going to be a continuing revolving door with the 12 year rule? Within the next year or two, it's going to open up a huge portion of available bikes, that without a doubt, would be easier to ride fast than the bikes that the class was originally designed for. I talked to another rider at PittRace about it (John something, #99) and it really got me thinking about it. I think there has to be a set year, like 2005 or something and that's that. You could grandfather some models (05-06 Kawi 636 for example) but with the lack of bike changes across all bike brands in the 07/08/09 range, you're going to open the flood gates and all of a sudden, you could legally race a much newer bike than 12 years old.

John Hancock likes this.
  2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you like to see the class grow? Sure the money on the bike has been invested,but the fields are small,and it has to grow somewhere.
    I'm looking to get into this particular group next year,and I'm excited about whats going to be legal each year.
    The technology is leaving bikes in the dust for future racing.Im glad this is at least being addressed with wera.
    Its Vintage,and hope it draws riders back like me that want to dip in the pool.
    Just my 2 cents.Please don't hate me!!

3. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

First part: the regional I am not aware of any points cap.. the national title works this way in v8 you take your six best finishes in any region and the gnf results count double on top of that. Now if you so up with say 5 wins and 1 2nd place and another guy has 6 wins if you beat him at the gnf you win the national.. but if you show up with any thing less than 5 wins 1 2nd. you are racing/hope that guy with 120 crashes out or is not a front runner at that track
    Second part:
    When this class was made mongo said that that would basically be the last vintage class.. the schedule in a weekend would not allow any more classes. That he couldn't keep creating classes to keep a certain year bike competitive.. thus the reason the 12 year rolling rule was put in place. is the short version there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

4. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I've always done track days and never raced wera. Next year I was planning on entering vintage 8 on my 06 gsxr600. I am drawn to it because it seems it would be less hardcore and easier to learn in than the 600 class. I have a few friends with similar plans and bikes 2006-2008. I think it will bring a lot of people from track days to wera since they can be competitive with a 12+ year old track day bike.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds good to me :D

6. Wheel Bearing

I definitely want the class to grow, but for 2020 (Sounds far off, but at this point it's 2 race seasons out), you will be able to race the 2008 R6, which with no changes, means you can run a 2016 R6, that will only be 4 years old, in a "vintage" class. So you'll have fly by wire, auto blipper/downshift, everything under the sun in a vintage class, which leads you right back to the same reason/problem the class was created - to give the early 2000's bikes something to race in that they would be competitive in.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Well I have already bought a 2007 R6 for next year....so if it changes....I hope it is after next year!

8. nhammond54

And good luck winning the national with 97 points! John what's his name will come with 120! And aren't you the dick wad that was on here a year ago telling me that nobody cared about my Vintage National Championship anyway? Well what a difference a year makes when you got skin in the game!

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Yep that was me. And still nobody cares.

Let me elaborate on that. Nobody outside of the vintage page cares. :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean all those bikes coming out of the woodwork right now?

All of this stuff sounds great in theory but the reality is it's never mattered. Make V7 - no one comes out. Make V8, no one comes out.

There's no real point in more classes or worrying about the blippers and all that.

lanehammond and cajun636 like this.
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

He's got a point ya know lol

Hate to say it. I love Vintage because the racers are around forever and in my opinion true racers.

Most modern bike guys never make it past 3 years.

V5 Racer likes this.
  12. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Correction no one but the hammond clan lol

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D You guys are there for sure!

14. Wheel Bearing

Well if it doesn't matter, let me race my 10 in the MWT class. I asked a few of the guys in the paddock, trying to get some kind of gentlemen's agreement. They all said no, in their indirect ways. "Well, I'm chasing the championship and need the points..."

I found it a bit ironic, as I'm faster on a 600 than I am a 1000, so it's either I beat them on a technically illegal bike, or I beat them by a greater gap on a class legal bike. So far, the only guy I can't catch is Michael Burns on that fugging rocketship of a R1.

I mean, it doesn't matter...right? Nobody is out here anyways.

I literally bought my zx10 solely because of the V8 class. Do I bother in A superstock? No, because I'd get my ass handed to me. I average 4 sprint races a day, I'm not sure how much more you expect one to "come out" and ride.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many others are out there with you? It's easy to see here - http://www.wera.com/points/vintage/?x=1098

16 total riders this year in MW (only half of whom have done more than one event), 18 total in HW (7 of whom have done only one event).

I don't get the part about wanting to cheat so can't help you there.

16. nhammond54

Do you remember the good Ole days in the 90's when you had to buy a new bike every year or 2 to stay competitive? I do! So I see the V8 class with the rolling 12 year rule the same way. As the new models open up within the 12 year rule, it is going to keep getting fast and more technology. And as far as the bikes with no changes for years and it opens up a big block of years for basically the same bike. What's the problem? That means you can buy a 2008...or a 2012...or whatever the bike has no changes. So make it easy on yourself. They will be the same bike. Can pick up a 2008 for $4,000...or a 2012 for $6,000...same bike. And here is the thing. YOU STILL HAVE TO PUT IT UP FRONT! I know some people on here call me a dick when I say this, but my bike is a 1996...and I pass some modern bikes...say 2004...2005? So it is just another year. You still have to ride it.

VFR#52 and ToofPic like this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The TLR is no match for the 05 GSXR's or Burns R1 in V8... I need to consider a 05 1000 but may steer toward a MW bike instead...

ToofPic and Wheel Bearing like this.
  18. nhammond54

Get you a V7 bike! We need more bikes in the class.

VFR#52, TLR67 and ToofPic like this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Right. I don't necessarily disagree, but why is any Vintage class created in the first place? To keep that era of bike competitive with others close to it, otherwise it never would be right? So the rolling rule stays for the next 4-5 years, what are you going to race the era of bikes the V8 class was designed for?

I suppose the question to answer is this: are the bikes the rolling 12 year rule going to inherit still competitive in the modern A/B/C classes? And if they are, why do they need to be eligible for the V8 class to begin with?

20. Wheel Bearing

It's the irony of what is considered "cheating". For a big bike track, for instance. Road A. I've ran 36's there on a 600. Only ran a 39.8 on my ZX10. It's just hilarious that it's "cheating" to ride a bike I can't go as fast on. :crackup: