1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I was asking what you want for yours haha

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It came up in conversation a few times but nothing serious. It would be hard to prove direct liability.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not always. There’s the occasional goldwing, harley, or metric cruiser tire that’s a real sonofabitch.

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Pm me... I'll shoot you some pics totorrow, make a reasonable offer and it's yours.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Sounds great thanks

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

there is no real liability unless you totally fuck something up...lol. BUT... street riders are dipshits.

XFBO likes this.
  7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Meanwhile, those of us that do this for a living carry a million dollar policy on our tire service on top of regular biz insurance and a keepers policy, but we're overcharging to M&B (?!?!) when we're dragging equipment all over the country ....

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you quote the right post?

9. Snakecrate

Snakecrate Well-Known Member

Mines, the tire post isn’t no-mar (forgot the exact brand but for sure isn’t HF) however the bar is. Spent $20 on the tire post (bought used on CL) and $100 on no-mar mount/dismount bar (LB-IMS).... well worth the money and worry free about scratching the wheels.
    Ooo....I use beads to balance my wheels.

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

There is a reason all the tire guys/shops have the coverage of insurance they do....

If risking your house, your income and all your belongings is worth a few hundred bucks by “doing it on the side” then well that’s your choice...

Wether you “win” or loose a lawsuit you still loose. All the attorney fees, time and the years it takes to settle well that’s a “loss” in my book.

TLR67 likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^What he said..... now if they give you beer instead of cash it’s a whole new game.....:D

12. metricdevilmoto

Ha. Nope. There was a reply that got lost in the multi quote mysteries of the interwebs.

We stopped doing the already small number of on bike M&B jobs we did for the local guys. If those guys want tires, they call ahead, order the rubber, and just bring in the wheels. Not worth the time and shop space dealing with tubes AND having to take off pipes and shit.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The bill for a rear tire on the work bike is about $450 at the Harley-Dieseldson shop. Pretty much split 50/50 parts/labor. Front and rear tire with brake pads all around, about a grand.

14. metricdevilmoto

Seems about right.

The handful of cruiser guys I still deal with are mostly locals I've dealt with for years and a few of their riding buddies. The vast majority of them will drop off rims in the morning on their way into work and pick them up on the way home. I charge them fair money for dealing with tubes and they make the job easy and their wheels are always clean.

But I just dealt with a street guy that was such a miserable experience that I'm done with bikes with lights. Different mentality and not worth it. While I was in Wisconsin with X, he called the local PD and reported his motorcycle stolen because I wasn't answering the work cell...

And that was just a part of it. Never again, man.

TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I will be upgrading Pneumatic Machines here this winter.... If anyone is looking for a good deal on used TC-400 PM me.... Shipping will not be happening and I am in North GA..(30041). Say $450? It is due to have some new Air lines put in... It works but I have been changing them out little by little the last 2 Years that I have had it... Its on its 10th year and still going strong... Has Ply wood bolted underneath to make transport on a hand truck easier... Handtruck not included...

TC400.jpg

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Last month, I had to mount my new set of rubber on my ADV bike, new to the area so I don't know all the ins/outs of which dealers/shops to deal with yet but I drove over to the largest local MS dealer and asked how much if I bring in the tires/wheels, it was roughly $150 to M&B those rims. :eek:
    I cannot buhlieve how pricey this crap is getting with these clowns.

You can bet your @$$ I came straight home to look for all my NoMar parts to do it myself.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What are those stealerships are doing is encouraging kids to ride around on bald tires, worn brakes, rusty chains, etc.

18. metricdevilmoto

That's a bit of a stretch.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

youre assuming ALOT there. Say you mount a tire for $50... in what world do you exist in where the $50 customer has the resources for building a Supreme level CSI level evidence 8 figure damage case to prove negligence?
    On the flip side... how many tires does a trackside vendor mount in a given weekend?
    Have you ever signed ANY waivers or releases?
    You realize Cycle Gear does tire installs?

I get why professional shops carry liability insurance, work orders, and require signature releases.

If you want to do tire side work... be prepared for:

-riders using backing plates as brake pads
    -filthy high mileage bikes with years of unmitigated neglect
    -ungrateful riders who dont think beyond the next alert on their smat phone
    -warped rotors, unlubed chains, misaligned axles, seized bolts, etc.
    -leaking fork seals
    -bone dry hydraulic reservoirs

:D

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, it is amazing how stupid some people are. I never realized how many there are until I bought my own blue collar business.
    I have a friend that owned a little bike repair business out here for about 15 years. It was amazing the crap I saw people ride in on and the stories he told me. Unfortunately, many guys riding bikes don't seem to have money or brains.

HOPEFULLY MOST OF US DON'T FIT THE ABOVE STATEMENT.:crackup::crackup::crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.