1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I went with this concept but took it one step further. I picked up this fairly cheap tire stand/bead breaker on ebay for like $40. It's not heavy duty, but for the amount of tires I need to do I can just fix/upgrade it if it breaks. I was going to go with the HF unit, but I didn't want it taking up floor space in my garage and this thing I can hang on the wall or put on a shelf, and then bolt it to an old workbench when I want to use it. I got the Mojolever for $120, so I'm into this for just over $160. The Mojolever works really well, but the critical part is a good can of tire lube. I got some Yamaha tire lube and along with getting the technique down it made things sooooo much easier.

changer.jpg

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

that 4x4& plywood is prolly really good...

i am not sure what the posi-thingy is.
    been doing the spoons carefully since i run tu-bliss and also wanna keep the practice since doing it on the trails would be the wrong place to practice it.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

also, having the new tires that go on placed in the sun or inside a hot car goes great lengths

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And or Tire warmers too....:beer:

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

well, of course...

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This was easily one of my biggest “I’m a dumbass” moments when changing tires. It was winter and I was fighting with some stiff cruiser tire wishing it was summer so I could lay it out in the sun. I got fed up and rigged up a system using a cardboard box and space heater. A couple hours later I come back and while the tires were a little more pliable, they were still a pain. After fighting with them more I catch myself thinking, “if only there were some way to wrap something hot around these things to get them up to temp...”. I nearly slapped myself when it dawned on me!!!

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

LMAO..... Don't feel bad.... I did the same....

Phl218 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This is the posi-thingy - no idea what the fuck it does but evidently it's needed to change any tire but sport bike.

upload_2018-7-13_13-49-40.png

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

They're used in place of the big ole plastic clamps. Dirtbike rims/beads are buried into the tires sidewall/bead area making it impossible for the plastic clamps to grab hold of......what doesn't help is if the tires sidewall flares out wide too......at least that's what they're claiming, I haven't had the need to use mine yet.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dont laugh... Jennings had someone changing tires and they were struggling one winter.
    Must have been 20 people waiting inline, at lunch to get tires done. Curious why there was such a long line... the guy claimed the tires were too cold to remove. So we suggested putting them on warmers. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They make it much easier

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

raises the wheel off the work area and doesnt get in the way like the delrin blocks do. Ive never used mine...lol

SuddenBraking likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I gotta :crackup::crackup:

TLR67 likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Good, I would have snapped it up if you were close to me or coming out west for some event.

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I have threaded anchors in my concrete that I put a set screw in to keep clean... When I'm going to be changing a tire I grab it out of the corner and bolt it down into the anchors...

16. SuddenBraking

Got a link to the ones you used? And how easy/hard are they to install?

17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Head-3-8-in-x-1-5-8-in-Steel-Drop-In-Anchors-50-Pack-01891/100154222

These are what I used... Super easy to install, drill the hole (I borrowed a hammer drill from my dad) put the anchor in the hole, use the set tool to lock it in place... I like these because instead of using the bolt to spread the "fingers" that lock it in place like some anchors do its integral to the anchor so they stay locked in place even when a bolt isn't installed.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

They also have a hitch attachment if you don't want to fuss with a ground install.

t11ravis likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

"SuddenBraking,
    Chris just put those up on Ebay for sale because we finally got caught up on our inventory. No worries I can credit you the $50 no problem."

I'm actually going to mount to my 4x8 trailer as a temporary solution until I decide where it's going to go permanently.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. SuddenBraking

Almost two years later, I think I'm taking your advice. Never even installed the Nomar into my floor but I want to pay up for the most hassle free and easiest changing method (and I've got a fairly beefy compressor now).

Dave_SV likes this.