1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

'Bout time....Can't believe i went 25 yrs without a pneumo.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So I'm definitely 100% done with Nomar at this point. Took a few wheels off that needed tires (rear of my S1000, front and rear Street Triple) and gave it a go. Nomar is now anchored into my cement garage floor, so thought it'd be a piece of cake. A scratched S1000 wheel, broken changing bar, and a ruined Supercorsa III (ripped the bead) has me giving up on changing tires and decided I'm just going to pay the local mechanic to do it for me (unless a pneumatic is so easy as to be effectively idiot proof).

Anyhow, got an almost new Nomar if anyone wants it :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think you will find the pneumatic is pretty easy. My buddie showed me how to use his years ago and I sold my Nomar.

I wasn’t very good on the Nomar, but my son changed his 125 tires with it often.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I take it you "pried" the tire??? :D
    You don't necessarily have to use the mount side to install unless the tire is super hard.

5. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Nomar is no good for car tires, just not built for it. Sport bike tires are what it’s made for. Surprised you had trouble with the super corsa. Personally I wish I had gone with a pneumatic myself.

6. SuddenBraking

Here's pics of the carnage (sorry for the blur in some of them).

Attached Files:

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Hard to tell for sure from the pics but it looks like you didn't have the first side bead up into the dip in the center of the wheel. You need to keep it up in the middle where the rims smaller to lever the second side on. No way it'll ever go on if the first side is out in the bead. And the second side needs to be kept down off the bead too.

badmoon692008 and TLR67 like this.
  8. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I've been using the NoMar for years. Sport bike tires. The hardest ones were removing old Bridgestone slicks from a TZ250. I always watch the guy's videos first to remind me how to use the setup properly, follow the directions, and never had a problem.
    Of course not as easy as a pneumatic for sure, but it's a great option for a home shop. When I got mine I did not have the $ or space for anything else.

9. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

SuddenBraking I would be interested in buying your NoMar.

10. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Same here. Had the classic N0Mar since 2007 and never had any issues with sportbike tires. Tried to mount a SxS tire, but ended up taking it to Walmart. Didn't know my limitations on that one :)

11. SuddenBraking

Sold.

Whatcha looking to pay? :D

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah that tire was not in the rim far enough to get it on the other side...

13. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Damn....never seen anyone tear a bead apart like that.
    V-rod rear wheels are the toughest I have tried, very small drop center on those wheels.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I won’t touch any H-D. On certain Sportsters, they mount a 150 to a 3” rim, tube-type. And, the front is a 100 on a 2.15”, tube-type. There’s not enough drop-center in either rim. Outside of the hardcore ADV tires, that was the most difficult tire change I’ve done. Fuck Harley.

15. SuddenBraking

My mom always said I was special.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

i found grom tires to be the hardest on the no-mar.
    regular sport bike sizes?

piece of cake. you just need to know where to lube, wedge and place the rod right. the rest is done with the hips.

and mine is on a half-broken pallet.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Operator error!

No such problems with mine in 11 years even on the hated tube type wheels. Glad you don’t work at shop doing this on customers wheels/tires.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...you can do the same thing on a powered machine if you don't get the other bead into the dip in the rim as well.

ducnut likes this.
  19. rwdfun

rwdfun

I can't be the only one that thought of something different than mounting tires right?

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I've had a No Mar Jr Pro sitting around for years. I bought it as part of my trackday scheme, then realized that there were guys at the track who had the tires and would mount them for you! That were a better deal all around. For my street bikes, I generally haven't had the time to give it a try. I'm usually getting ready for a trip or something when I decide I should probably get a new tire.

I finally decided to try it on my Ducati Monster (2015). I mounted the changer on a piece of plywood, took my time and followed the manufacturer videos. In short, it was amazingly easy. I was very pleased with how it worked, not a nick on the wheels, or smack with a tire iron to me! I've done sportbike tires by hand, and this was like cheating to me.

Very pleased with it, but I'm sure there there cheaper or better solutions (but probably not both). Better, cheaper, faster... Pick any two. The "tips" and technique in the manufacturer videos are *essential* for it to work correctly. Almost every way I thought to do it turned out to be the wrong way. So, slow and follow the recommendations.

RIB333 likes this.