1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tax Reform thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - before we get too far, I'm personally totally fine with everyone paying a percentage, would prefer it to be an equal percentage and done.

Now on to the discussion at hand - What does how you earn your money got to do with anything? Is someone swinging a hammer using more or less than an office drone?

Corporate taxes are a different thing entirely.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how the ignorant want to raise corporate taxes to help the poor. The corportations are never going to lose money to pay those taxes, they are passed on to anyone who buys there product.
    Dont want to see these corporations making such huge proffits??? Stop buying shit from them. Its that simple.
    Unfortunately many of them are monopolies strengthened by corporate regulations and EPA crap.

If you sit down and really figure what we pay in taxes it is unreal, it aproaches 50% of what we make when you consider local taxes, property taxes and fuel taxes plus all the other crap.
    It is criminal and hurts every working persons quality of life.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I love how generous you are with money you didn't earn.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don't tell my blonde child that. After she and her sister chomped down four hot dogs a piece, and a pile of hash browns, she insisted she was on the brink of death from starvation. :crackup:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

I do agree on how stock options are currently taxed needs to be changed to how regular income is taxed.

As far as trickle down is concerned you are incorrect. Businesses spend reinvestment capital every day. This is all trickle down spending that typically provides new products and services both for consumers and workers. I have way more faith in each corporation deciding how to reinvest and spend their profits than in a bloated inefficient government that doesn’t understand basic business principles.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Agreed on a flat personal income tax as well. Corporate tax wouldn't be an individual issue so long as we don't want to equate what % of shared expense services are used by corporations versus individuals. General Motors is a huge recipient of gov't welfare, uses shared infrastructure - roads, ports, power grid, etc. and has a tax rate that has seemed to fluctuate between 5-20% for the last 10 years...after bailing them out. The executives, board, etc of GM that will earn larger bonuses and hold shares that are more valuable due to that revenue that didn't go to taxes. One of the ways to even make that taxable profit go away is through a distribution. Now yes, these individuals will have to pay income tax on all of this money deferred to them, but the entire bucket shouldn't have even been available if GM paid it's full taxes.
    Money gets reinvested into the corporation absolutely. But not to raise employee salaries (even if profit makes raises available this year etc.), it's to make the business more profitable through expansion, retooling, automation, acquisition. The reinvestment goes to other corporations who play the same game in a supply chain until we trickle down to family run shops and small offices/agencies. This is the level where the company ends up truly caring about employees and works to provide both a healthy business and a quality of life for everyone. I just see the burden of being a decent human trickle down to the shoulders of small entrepreneurs.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The rich (Republicans) :crackup::crackup::crackup:

NYC Democrat
    DC Democrat
    Hollywood Democrat
    Soros Democrat

Oh and yes there is rich Republicans but there are just as many rich Demoncats if not more. :beer:

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks the Republicans are "the rich" while democrats are not needs to come spend a weekend in Boulder with me.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Holy crap, is she related to me somehow? I'm always hungry - but I've also been without food (due to my own choices), different level altogether :D

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

His point is valid. In '83 I lived in a neighborhood that the cops thought I sold drugs as I was the only white guy. Now while not 'rich' I am well off and able to give nice gifts to my folks and help them out in anyway they need. So I went from the bottom 10% to the top 10% probably. Yes there are people that stayed in the bottom 10% but most of them did it due to crappy habits and slovenly work ethic.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well she's tall, but Sarah was already pregnant when we came to VIR. ;)

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Obama, is that you.

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You have provided a single, anecdotal example to millions of examples of the cycle of poverty.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The Audacity of Dick. :D

G 97 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm just a good influence by osmosis :D

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

upload_2017-12-20_11-39-47.png

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

After seeing the pic from Kurt's service, think you might be a victim of reverse osmosis. :D

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

"Poverty
    • The poverty rate for families in 2016 was 9.8 percent, representing 8.1 million families, a decline from 10.4 percent and 8.6 million families in 2015.
    • For most demographic groups, the number of people in poverty decreased from 2015. Adults age 65 and older were the only major population group to see an increase in the number of people in poverty."
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2017/income-povery.html

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And? Poverty in the US is another world from true poverty....

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more