1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tax Reform thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Appalachian poverty, while not comparable to the 3rd world, is still pretty brutal. Its considerably worse than what I have seen in urban ghettos.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

And what? You said "not sure where there is rampant poverty in the US" (a comedic assertion on its face). I played along and did the Googling that you neglected to do and showed you that there's "rampant" (as defined by ~10% of the population) poverty in the US. When confronted with facts that disproved your narrative, you moved the goalposts.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Isn't it funny how poverty is measured by income and not net worth?

badmoon692008 and sheepofblue like this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've been called worse :D

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Worse than snippy?

6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It's easy to sit here in the US and say "I have all the things I need", but the amount of effort I have to put in now to have the same house, car, food that boomers enjoyed is infuriating and only getting worse for those younger than me. The vast majority of us - moderate middle class - are beholden to a debate between two extremes at all times (rich/poor/rep/dem) that doesn't ever actually consider us.

I'd love policies aimed at those of us who aren't in poverty or wealthy.
    "You paid every single mortgage payment while the bankers got bailed out and the less fortunate (or delinquent) got forgiven? Here's YOUR reward."
    "You have worked full-time and paid taxes for 10/20/30 years straight? Here's YOUR reward."

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, lots of my family got out of there in the 40's because of it. It's getting worse again with meth and opiate addicitons but still goes back to the choice thing. Just sucks when bad choices affect others, especially innocent others.

8. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I’m just curious about the bill’s actual effect on the debt.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Now the national debt concerns you? :rolleyes:

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

The thing of it is poverty is a number established by the government as a means to determine if someone or household qualifies for public assistance, section 8 rent, food stamps, Medicaid and other free government services - free school lunches, subsidized healthcare. So these levels below are not a true reflection of a person/household total income.

So using “poverty” numbers and government statistics to illustrate true poverty is somewhat meaningless as it doesn’t provide an accurate assessment of a persons/households total benefits etc. I could live decent enough on $16,000 for two if my rent, food cost and healthcare were paid for. Poverty as defined by the government is a far cry from true poverty.

Persons in Household. 2017 Federal Poverty Level
    1. $12,060

2 $16,240

3 $20,420

4 $24,600

5. $28,780

StaccatoFan likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just like judges aren't the final say on legal matetrs :)crackup:), the census isn't the final say on what is true poverty, they are merely listing people who make less than a certain amount of money. It has nothing to do with their access to food and shelter or their quality of life.

Anyway, you're the one who brought up "rampant" poverty. Given rampant moves it to the level of opinion it doesn't matter what you link, my opinion is that 12 percent isn't rampant, my opinion is the census definition of poverty isn't accurate, my opinion is while there are of course exceptions, poverty in large part (even as defined by the census) is a choice. Just because people can't see a way out doesn't mean they don't exist...

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Exactly my point and something that libtards refuse to acknowledge.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw what the boomers have. The dumbfucks are in debt up to their eyeballs keeping up with the Jones', it's an idiotic way to live your life and trying to emulate them is even more idiotic.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

You obviously don’t have an accurate idea on how poverty levels are calculated and how and what they are used for.
    Look deeper into your lazy google attempt.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Wonder what the Ratio of "living in poverty" for Government workers is as compared to Private Sector... (excluding military employees)

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

This thread is about taxes. If you are so concerned about the national debt go start another thread about government over spending.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh how did I miss this post? :crackup:

Tell ya what. You work as hard as the boomers had to, you'll have my sympathy. Your life is a fucking featherbed of marshmallowy comfort compared to what they endured.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still love that those in rampant poverty still have cell phones and cable.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I knew an Appalachian guy whose relatives live in eleven different households...the houses are all built with beautiful hardwoods.
    He has like sixteen brothers/sisters. The other households of his relatives, I suspect, have similar numbers.
    Financially, they are poor. Life-wise, they own the half of the mountain they all live on.
    So, what? They're poor cuz they dig up their own potatoes?
    I'd gladly live my life away from this demonic financial scheme to which we're all subjected...and I would consider myself wealthy if I could do so.
    Just sayin'.

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Stamp car parts with a machine while their wife was at home not paying for daycare and dreaming of their guaranteed pension?

People who go it on their own have the same hustle now they did then, but in terms of mass employment for the "middle class", there has never been nor will be a more entitled generation.