1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mans vacations??

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 17, 2021.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

:crackup:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hangovers have NEVER been fun. The night before? Yes. I still have fun, I just don't need to fuel it with over consumption of alcohol.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just going by the captain's posting content over the years, I can tell you that I was too mature to vacation with him (at his current age) when I was 20.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It was 3 days at Mid-Ohio for a while. Good times.
    Then it was Laguna for 4 days when MotoGP came back. Good times.
    Then it was Indy for 3 days when MotoGP was in my back yard. Don't ask...
    Been on hiatus for a few years, but headed to COTA (Rona can suck it!) with the kids along with a buddy and his wife.
    Headed to Hatfield McCoy to ride for a couple of days at the end of September.
    I've been invited to The Keys with some buddies, but its a bit more difficult to break away now. But I see it happening in the future when the kids get older.

RonR likes this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

"Mature"? That's what you're going with??? :D

The Todd and HPPT like this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

This is kinda how I felt with my old track buddies. I was the young whipper snapper always wanting to go to the track and had to seemingly convince them to go.

Now the few times I do go, I don't even mention it to them because I'm going to nag you to do something you supposedly like doing.

cBJr likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

wife found out huh? :D

I still get one of these in a year, give or take, with a couple of my closest buddies. It got way harder in a general sense, when everyone started actually taking their lives seriously (early 30's) as opposed to all being maniacs in our mid-20's. I'd say careers and travelling/business was the first hit. Kids/family the second. The kids thing seemed to come on strong when they were REAL young though. As they get to 5+, basically where you're not 24/7 trying to wrangle them or keep them from electrocuting themselves, and they can entertain themselves, are potty trained, can grab food for themselves... seems like people are more inclined to get back out there and get away for a little. We're older and boring now, but still its nice to get away. I just try and plan ahead enough that it won't cause problems for my buddies and their wives/kids and its all good. I think I need to cover my job like some of them need to cover their kid, so it kinda equals out as far as planning in advance and amount of time to take.

BigBird likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not when most of your friends are still single ;)

Getting the married bros away for more than 24 hours and beyond a 50 miles radius from home. I don't even bother trying anymore :D

9. ton

ton Arf!

i take fewer "man's trips" because i like vacationing with my wife. and our friends. and those trips always involve riding bikes, backpacking, skiing, rock climbing, etc.

it's pretty simple: we hang out with people who like to live the way we do. and the list constantly changes and evolves. we're in our 50's

10. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Something Ive always envied about my dad and his buds, till they were almost 50 yearly vacations of them acting like kids. I only sneek in one every few years with a one or two at a time. Last few have been good though, jeeping with an old friend who moved back east, and a flight to ride in the colorado rockies with another.

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Dont stop trying! We need breaks even if drug kicking and screaming, we only complain till they cant hear us, then we're in the clear.

Bud and I did annual trips to deals gap up and down the blue ridge, Id say almost half of those trips were in the rain. Favorite rides, sometimes more people, sometimes less, something always broke, we were broke, few friends got hurt, few totaled MCs, but great memories, well for me, I never got hurt or totaled a MC on those trips.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why I'm so happy. This is every Thursday night at my house and has been for 25 years. A couple hours of hanging out and a couple hours of jamming.

[​IMG]mouse test online

The Todd and zx6rfool like this.
  13. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Not going to lie - from your posts, you sound like a shit load of fun to go galivanting with to locations both on and off the beaten path.

But. . . you also sound like the guy who will David Blaine the group, leave his cell phone in the bar, stay disappeared for 3 days knee deep in foreign strange, and come strolling back in with a stupid fucking grin on your face and your first words being "what?" while everybody else is wanting to kill you because they just put their vacation on hold for 3 days unsuccessfully looking for you (while swearing the whole time you've been shanked and left for dead in the street by said strange's hotbloodied husband, boyfriend or girlfriend).

Been there, done that - and it's no fun at any age (or relationship status). Now, if you agree before hand to put your hands behind your back and take the punch in the face you deserve from everybody in the group should that second possibility occur. . .game on.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If getting kicked out of the paddock by Mama Spies is your idea of danger, I'm sure we could have vacationed together twice or more. :D

15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

:timeforabeer:

16. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Just saying, like pikes peak and the pussification of America. Had 6 guys who were all about a fishing trip in the keys, we all live in South Florida
    Understand your point, nobody wants to baby sit. Just leave them and bail them out when necessary. Had our captain dissappear in St. Thomas for 2 days, finally called the hospital and found him. But I'm 41 now got a girl but still take my adventure trips. Been getting into kiteboarding a lot since being in Brazil the last 2 months. Next years guy trip

The Todd likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Some of us just aren't vacationers. I can count on one hand the number of "vacations" I have taken. None of them were my idea.

beac83 and The Todd like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had a blast years ago at VIR with Hippy Joe, Buck, CBChad, Dart and all those dudes. Still laugh about that shit and stuff was pretty mellow compared to what a lot of you dopes would do. Did it again the next year.
    Another time at VIR with Paige, Hippy Joe, Elmer, Sped and Spedette (Sam was with that time). VIR has almost always been a complete blast for the most part. Cool shit and I'd do that again.

Last time I was invited to a Dude's trip was going up to the MLL (I think) up at Foxboro in 2018 or 2019. A bunch of dudes I'm kind of friends with and I used to play old man league with. "We'll drive up, 5 to 6 days, we'll drink, play some box and short field and just have fun!"
    Warning signs from jump street on this and luckily I had to be in China or Taiwan or who cares that week and I got out of it.
    One dude came home with a broken collar bone, one got booze poisoning and one came home to a divorce. I think the rest survived okay. :D They all went again the next year and luckily I had to take the kid to something or other and they came home with a concussion and two minor arrests (maybe more but I forget).
    F@ck that shit, I'm too old for that shit. :crackup:

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Man, those were just race weekends. :D

20. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

This. I only have about five guys that I consider friends, and there is almost or no overlap between them. And I have shit to do. And I actually like my wife and kid, so I try to spend time with them when I do have time.

The Todd likes this.