1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mans vacations??

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Out of the regular 20 days I got in the year, I spend at least half of them in the homeland and 3 out of those at Rock festivals with my old crew. Been going on since 2 of us started it in 2003. Can’t make it every year due to schedules but the group is now up to 20-30 friends. Even some wifes / GFs are allowed but they have to talk smack and drink up. Works.
    The rest of the 10 days are 5 days off around Christmas and a few camping trips /extended weekends with the fam . Ingot a standing invite for an annual “guys weekend” with work friends I did 2019, but I don’t get a kick out of spending even more time with work folks.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

In sao Paolo, fly to fll tonight. Might head down there to key largo but will be gone Sept 3rd to Panama

rd400racer likes this.
  3. Captain Morgan

Time will tell on the storms??? No way of predicting more than 5/4/3 days out

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea i could see that. i felt like when they were babies, especially the first born, it was like... hovering protectiveness and constant worry/guilt of being away, coupled with the burden it woulda put on a singular parent to deal with all the crazy shit... feeding, diapers, sleep, crying, etc. when the care is less intensive, that seemed to ease up a ton. same with the 2nd time around for a second kid. way less over-bearing or worrisome it seems on the parent's end.

one time, i watched my best friend literally load up an entire bed of a pickup with crap to go to the beach for 2 hours (lived 15 minutes from the beach). 2nd time around he woulda had like, a water bottle, tiny bag of snacks, and like, a small ass diaper bag. same with my brother.

now my buddy's kids are like 6 and 4, and his wife begs me to take him on a trip each year because he quit his career to help run her practice and the rest of his life has literally just been toddlers. he needs grown man interaction haha. so not really a problem at all as long as she has a little help or activities lined up. his son likes the mtb park and dirtbikes, so maybe he'll just start coming with us when he gets a little older. i dunno. my brother's kids have a million sports and activities, but each parent makes sure to get their "me" time still. he's going to Vegas with the boys for a week in September. no qualms about that kinda shit. everyone feels different though i guess.

BigBird likes this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

My girls love riding dirt bikes,roadrace weekends, hare scramble weekends,shooting guns,listen to punk and metal etc etc etc In other words they’re cooler to me than most tinker bell dudes anyways.I’m a one bull per pen personality, and don’t care much at all for hanging out with other D-swingers, and prefer hanging with the ladies.

BigBird, Phl218 and baconologist like this.
  6. Captain Morgan

You're lucky, guess the cool thing about this thread is you found your fun hang out friends vacation, just not a fan of people working to not take a vacation, what's the point?.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you enjoy what you do, it isn't work.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. Captain Morgan

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your life, your choice. My life, my choice.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Not any more :)

R Acree likes this.
  11. Captain Morgan

Sounds like an abortion commercial. Being bad now ordering a cashasa. But stand behind 98 percent would quit there job if they won the lottery, hopefully 50% would stay in the same field and think out of the box

12. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I always admired that 900RR you used to have.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

From stuff you've posted it sounds like you've got things figured out! If you're up for another vacation buddy, I'm always up for Marathon!

rd400racer likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This is a very special trip because it's the first time we've taken our kids to the Keys, where it all started for us. The kids are 29 and 26, so it will be an adult trip. They're bringing their fiancée 's so it will be extra special. I'll do my best to show them the time of their lives no expense spared. I've dreamed of this trip since I left almost 40 years ago. Already have my old station on call that we're headed down and be ready for the crew:D

Captain Morgan and motion like this.
  15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I spent my twenties doing who and what ever the fuck I wanted. Got married and had a couple kids. Early in the marriage I was working three jobs to make ends meet due to a career change. Felt like shit my wife barely got a break and I didn’t get as much time with the kids as I wanted. By the time they were 6 and 3 I was down to one job and found out about this thing called family vacations. As the kids grew and I started picking up a couple hobbies again and my wife would tell me to go do some shit with the guys from time to time. My answer was I’ll get around to that when the kids are grown and don’t give a shit where I’m at Saturday morning. Well the kids are grown and moved out so now I do take trips with friends again but I’m so appreciative of the time I was able to spend with them and will blow off any plans if they hit me up.

RichB, cBJr, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  16. Captain Morgan

Well finally made it back from Brazil, you should take family vacations, one thing about my Dad I have a lot of respect for he planned 1 week a year. Some winter ski trips, some mountain summer trips, the last year's a big house in the keys with a rental boat with my nieces. My my moms , cool to, spent her 70th birthday in the outerbanks for a week last year. Those week long trips had a big impact in my life. The world is a book, those who do not travel have only read a page.

Robin172 and rd400racer like this.
  17. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

We always did mancations growing up. Every year my dad and I and a bunch of his friends would do a camping/fishing trip. We stopped going because people got older and had more responsibilities (read: excuses). I can't wait to start doing those kind of trips again with my son as soon as he is old enough to paddle the river. They were always great memories.

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

May I LOVE the Tortugas. When ever we sail the keys we always head out there for about a week and go fishing. That place is VERY productive!

rd400racer likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So give me the hot tip on fishing rigs. It's been so long since I was there I forgot most of how I used to fish. If I recall we used cut ballyhoo, a sinker and a steel leader for most fishing. We'll mainly be hitting around the Sombrero Lighthouse area.

20. Captain Morgan

PM me for fishing tips. The whole steel leader thing died about 30 years ago unless you are targeting sharks. Which only people who don't know how to fish or have to make up for something missing in their pants or life try to intentionally catch a shark. They are the doctors of the ocean. Fished that area a lot if you want some tips

motoracer1100 likes this.