1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My 22-250 Stevens 200 is a world class tack driver compared to this. I wasn't buying it for a competition rig, just for playing around and shooting farther than I do with my open sight muzzle loader. I don't need a bull barrel custom rifle at this point.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So getting a good pic is pretty much impossible, but I inspected my fired casings and found that they all seem to have a couple little marks(you can just feel them with your fingernail) just as it transitions from the shoulder to the body. Also, I colored the neck, shoulder and a 1/4" of the body with a Sharpie, then chambered and extracted new rounds. The Hornadys have a sharper shoulder and you can see where it rubbed of the marker. The Federals don't.
    The crown of the barrel looks good, nothing noticeable to me.
    So maybe there is just a little damage in the chamber and that could be causing some poor groupings?

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Very nice, but about double what I want to spend at this point.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've heard nothing but good things about it. You could swap the barrel on the savage too.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That is my conundrum. I was really excited about the rifle, till I saw how it shot. Trigger is nice but I definetly need better glass(not the guns fault). The 3200 I put on it is just not clear enough, so I can only imagine when I stretch it out a ways. I will just put it back on my 22-250 coyote gun that never gets used. Recoil is right on the edge of what I could enjoy after shooting it for a while. It's a nice gun for what it is, but I dont know that I could justify putting another sportster profile barrel on it. Of course I could always open up the stock to accemt a Heavy Sportster or varmit profile I guess. I think it makes more sense to sell it and move on.

8. Newsshooter

Eurooptic also has closeouts on the T3's, there's a 7-08 in there for a good price but it doesn't have the 8 twist which is what you'd want for the 140's.

I'm betting that Savage is an 9.5 twist and might not shoot the heavy bullets well, I'd try something lighter like a 120 and see what happens. Also saw that some of them were 11 twist which would really be an issue with a 140 bullet. You can try measuring it to be sure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yes, I do believe it is 9.5". Hadn't thought about going lighter, but I'll give it a try to see what happens.

10. Newsshooter

You might want to check the twist yourself, I've seen reports of 9.5 twist that were really 11 twist but I'd bet a lighter bullet will shoot for you.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If it does shoot 120's OK, I'm still not sure I'd keep it. Ammo selection is slim in that weight. I will try the Hornady and Federal Fusions to see how they group. If they group good, maybe I can talk my friend into buying it. He wants a .270, but if I let him shoot it first, he might like the 7mm. He only shoots deer with it.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

<puts on sales hat>
    Available in 6.5 and .260REM. Three magazines, three pounds lighter than the stainless barreled Bergara...and a real recoil pad! :D

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'll put it on my "possibilities" list. :D

16. Newsshooter

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

18. Newsshooter

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks for the recommendation on a barrel brand. I wasnt sure what was a good(but I dont need anything over the top good) brand.

I guess I have to decide if I want to spend another $400 to rebarrel a $500 gun or sell it(and probably break even), and then pick up something higher end like the Tikka CTR or TAC, or a new Savage.

And yeah, I think the 6.5 makes more sense for me. I'm not ready to get balls deep into reloading, I just want to get out and shoot and see if i'm worth a fuck at it or not. I might not be able to hit shit at 500+ with even the best gun on earth.

20. Newsshooter

I've shot my .223 to 1K, it hangs with the CM to 600 shooting 77smk's. A new savage won't be much different as far as the action. 10/12/14/16 are all pretty much the same unless it is a target action with a closed top. Putting a good barrel on it would be better than buying a whole new rifle, even if it was a lighter profile. If you decide to get a barrel get a flat ground recoil lug and new nut, Northland can help you out with those too. The Tikka is a much nicer action, I have two, and a few Savages as well.