1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've shot my .223 to 1K, it hangs with the CM to 600 shooting 77smk's. A new savage won't be much different as far as the action. 10/12/14/16 are all pretty much the same unless it is a target action with a closed top. Putting a good barrel on it would be better than buying a whole new rifle, even if it was a lighter profile. If you decide to get a barrel get a flat ground recoil lug and new nut, Northland can help you out with those too. Medalist stocks are decent and Stocky's has some good sales. The Tikka is a much nicer action, I have two, and a few Savages as well.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So what's your thought on a wood stock? Do they move around due to temp and humidity enough to worry about it?

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Confirmed it is 9.5 as its supposed to be. So you're thinking 8 for ~140gr? Everything I found online pointed to 9.5 for 140 and good all around.

Talked it over with the gf(I try not to just run out and spend a bunch of $$$). She says sell the gun and buy whichever one I'll be happy with. :D

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Oh, and I'm gonna try some 120's, but either way, I will probably throw this scope back on the 22-250 and use it for practice for this year.

5. Newsshooter

Wood stock is fine, I'd just make sure it has pillars installed in it. Easy to do yourself if it doesn't have them. Most guys shooting 6.5/260 are using an 8 or 8.5 twist shooting the 139/140/142 grain bullets. 9.5 will probably stabilize it but isn't ideal. Prime Ammo has some 130's grain ammo you could try.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I was just reading up on the T3x Tac. Now I want one. :D

Newsshooter likes this.
  7. Newsshooter

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So their plan is to end up with just the original action, and nothing else?

9. Newsshooter

It was essentially that, it also showed those that weren't familiar with the Tikka and the options to upgrade it.
    My savages are similar, three different stocks, only one is original and that came with the LRP it is an HS precision that has an adjustable cheekpiece added to it, the other two are a 223 in a Mcree chassis and the other 6.5CM in a Manners T5. The only one that has the original barrel is the LRP 6.5 CM with the full bull barrel. Has over 250 rounds through it and still shoots great.

I'll probably do something similar with the LA Tikka I picked up recently. :)

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You say 250 rounds like that's a lot.

If I buy a Tac, I probably wont do a damn thing but add glass(that may be worse than deciding on a gun), adjusting the trigger and attaching the bipod(I bought the one you recommended).

11. Newsshooter

That was 2500 rounds, I put more than 250 through it the first month I owned it. Hard to beat the Vortex glass for the price and warranty.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Vortex is my plan. I'll start with a $1000-$1500 scope and see how I get along.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So is the Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP the best Vortex option for a TAC? MOA or MRAD reticle? I've never shot with anything but a standard style crosshair.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

vortex is nice but also consider the Burris XTRII. I bought the 5-25 FFP with illuminated Mil/Mil reticle and it looks good. I haven't shot it yet but played with it quite bit and it's getting good reviews for bang for the buck. Just throwing it out there in the same price range.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The Burris and Leupold VX-3i 8.5-25x50 are both also on my list.

16. Newsshooter

Vortex makes a couple other scopes that are better than the PST, the Razor is one of the most popular scopes. the PST II is new, haven't gotten to play with one yet glass it better than the original PST. Had a burris XTRII 5-25 and sold it as I didn't care for the glass. I liked the reticle and the turrets, just not the glass. MOA or Mil, doesn't matter as long as the turrets match the reticle. In the old days of mil scopes they didn't always match. MOA is finer, 1/4 vs mil which it about 1/3. Mil is in tenths which is easier for me and most of those I shoot with are using mils so it's easier to understand a wind call of say .7 mils vs 2.3 minutes when everyone is talking the same language.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Good to know on the Mil vs MOA.

The Razor is probably going to be little out of my budget at this point, so I will likely have to settle for the PST, unless it gets bad reviews by then. No matter what, I'm sure it will be the best scope I've ever had.

18. Newsshooter

PST's are good, the new ones are supposed to have glass of the previous Razor. I'm probably picking one up, as I need a couple scopes. Athlon is a new company that is getting good reviews, I'm waiting to see what the Ares line looks like and I'll probably buy the Cronus BTR which is their top scope to replace the Bushnell DMR I have now. Look at the reticles too, if you aren't shooting PRS type stuff you might not want a christmas tree type, some are cluttered others not so much. I really like the XTR mil-hash with .2 mil hashes in the first mil for light wind calls, just didn't like the glass as much as my PST or Bushnell DMR.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd bump this one and see if any of you resident shooters can give me input.

Warning, this is a bit of a Broomeish post(long and rambling).

So I have been trying to work up the best possible load for my muzzle loader and have been struggling. The combo that I used to use(285gr Barnes MZ pushed by 120gr/vol of Blackhorn powder) wasn't grouping anywhere near were I was happy(used to shoot it with a custom open/target sight, now scoped). I picked up 6 different projectiles of varying weights, designs and brands. After many hours over a few different trips to the range, I found one that is right around, maybe just over 1"@100yards. I have changed from measuring powder by volume, to by weight(more consistent).
    Today my first 3 shot group was about 1 3/4" high and 3/4" left of center. I moved 3 clicks right and 3 clicks down. My next group was 2" high and 3/4 left of center. This confused me, but figured maybe I brain damaged it and moved the wrong way. I then moved 6 click right and I think 4 clicks down. My next 3 shot group was once again just over 1", but this time it was 1/2" and 1 3/4" right of center. Now I'm really confused and getting frustrated. Poor scope tracking(I think that would be the correct term) is the only thing I can think of. I have never really liked this scope(Bushnell 3200 4-12x40, adj objective), so I am wondering if All this time this fall, my groupings issues have been scope related. I could shoot sub 3" groups with my open/target sight previously, but with a scope, that exact same load shot 4" groups.
    My next 2 groups opened up to 2"(at this point I don't remember what moves I've made to the scope), the first had one shot 1" high left, one shot 1/2" lower center and one shot 1" low left. The next one after that even lower and slightly more left(all below center) than the previous. I made no moves between them, yet they shifted center slightly. The last group of the day was 3" and even farther low/left than the others.
    At this point my frustration has peaked, and I was done for the day. I do have one thing not gun related I need to check out, and that is my digital scale I use for weighting powder. It was only in the low 30's today, and I am wondering if it was changing readings. I measured out 84gr and will re-weight it once warmed back up. The other thing that could have caused the grouping deterioration at the end is that while I was cleaning the barrel and breach plug between 3-shot groups, I didn't clean the receiver face the whole time. I highly doubt it could have any effect on the odd group movement, but could possibly effect the group size(but I'm not 100% a believer in that).
    When I got home, I wanted to see if the scope failed to track properly, so I clamped in my vice, opened the garage door and focused on a spot on the house(I couldn't get any farther than 25 yards because of where my bench is located). I dialed it 20 clicks one way and then back and it returned to the same spot. I did this a few times with both windage and elevation. It always returned properly. Now my hope of a broken scope doesn't feel so sure. Has anyone ever had this kind of issue before?

PS, I ordered myself a new Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40. :D

20. Newsshooter

Not a black powder guy but I know most powders are temp sensitive, that's one thing. What were the temps when you were getting better groups? Could be the scope but it sounds like it tracked when you got it home. Since you've already ordered the scope I'd start there first.