1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

Is there any chance you over torqued the rings?

I did that a few years ago putting a new Zeiss on a very reliable old gun. It lead to the the most frustrating day I’ve ever had at the range.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Temperature only changed maybe 5 degrees the whole time. Calm, overcast day.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I installed it with my Wheeler torque screwdriver.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's a good scope...unless it's defective. The more important thing is that a scope holds its zero.
    Try a ten round group.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You know, you may actually be on to something. I just looked back at when I received my torque screwdriver as compared to when I mounted the scope(I posted a picture in a different thread about the subject), so it could be my issue.
    I'm going to mount up my new scope and will put this on a different gun later, to test it.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, that was another thought I had last night. The bad thing about muzzle loaders is its a slow process.

7. fastfreddie

Do you use anything like these to cut down on that time?
    Blackhorn 209 Charge Tubes 20-Pack
    (I wouldn't trust the graduations, but I think you could get everything you need for one shot in each tube.)

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have those, actually. Its not the actual loading of the gun that takes time, it cleaning(so barrel fouling doesn't effect your groups) and also keeping the barrel cold to replicate cold weather hunting situations.
    I suppose I could be like a guy that showed up next to me yesterday. His first shot was 3" left of center. He adjusted 4 clicks right. His next shot was 3" right of center. He dialed 2 clicks ba and stated he was ready for deer season. I guess its all about expectations....

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They actually have that now!

[​IMG]

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Cheater! LOL.

11. fastfreddie

Understand. I bothered to take the time to break my last platform in properly...scrubbed and rubbed between each shot at the start of the break-in. Then I used the countdown function on my phone to keep the time intervals of the last part of break-in consistent while giving the barrel time to cool. It paid off, but definitely took time.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

When I was working through loads initially, I cleaned between every shot, 3 shot groups, 7 different projectiles. Add in measuring powder and it took over 4 hours to accomplish. Yesterday was cleaning between 3 shot groups.

13. fastfreddie

How many rounds did you get off in that 4 hours?

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

20-25?

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Most of the guys I know break in their barrels by shooting them. :) No shoot, clean, shoot, clean crap. Zero the scope and shoot it. I usually clean somewhere between 250 and 350 rounds on my 6.5 CM.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

This is one of the things I need to figure out for when I get my 6.5CM. Does each manufacturer have break in recommendations?

17. fastfreddie

All my firearms may have stated something to the affect, don't recall, but I didn't follow any suggested break-in procedures. Just took it easy so as not to cook the barrel.
    My bolt gun ("a damn fine weapon" in the words of a former-Marine friend) is sub-moa but I've not taken it beyond 300yds (reticle limited) nor have I ever determined it's moa potential. I'd guess .75 to be conservative.
    The two semi-s (also good stuff) are all over the place, 1.5-2.5+moa, but I've never put Match-grade ammo through 'em.

HOWEVER, the most recent purchase definitely had a procedure...I did what they said. It shoots ~.5moa@1000yds (prolly me) and sub-caliber@100yds (same hole).

The break-ins are basically to clear any irregularities (flashes, burrs) in the machined surfaces of the barrel. Copper gets snagged on these imperfections and starts to build. If you don't clean the copper off, the irregularity doesn't get knocked down/off for some time. At that point, copper fouling may have promoted a wear pattern that could be an accuracy issue when you go back and clean ALL that fouling away. Some might say that the slow/deliberate procedure also promotes stress-relief of the barrel itself.

Now what?
    Without break-ins, there are those that would say you've reduced the barrel's accuracy potential. Others would say break-ins shorten barrel life.
    If you're worried about whether 100-200 rounds is gonna take away from the useful life of your barrel, you're shooting mega-dollar barrels in competition. (They prolly dont have any imperfections to speak of...)
    If you have a multi-dollar barrel, why wouldn't you do a break-in and get the most accuracy out of it?
    Standard barrel? Break-in can only make it better, right?

My bolt gun, with its lack of break-in or religious maintenance, has had uncounted thousands of rounds sent through it. It's still a tack driver even tho' it has evidence of throat erosion. Might it have ever been better? No tellin' now. It may have had sub-caliber moa potential.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think I "broke in" my 22-250 when I bought it, and I think I shoots exceptional for what it is. I haven't shot it tons, but it can go sub 1"@200 meters. I should lighten the trigger, but technically its a hunting gun.

19. fastfreddie

BTW, 20-25 rounds in 4 hours? That's painful. :D

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You have to go into it knowing its a slow process. Give you a lot of time to people watch....