1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Posted a vid in the video thread of the PRS match our club did last year. It will give you an idea of what kind of things we do to make is harder on ourselves. :)

Hollywood likes this.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

See you at the PRS this year at Maricopa? I built some new plinkers. One is named Monica. Cause she blows pretty hard. I've got a couple of little matches here and there between, then I'll decide whether to shoot Production or Gas Tactical. I built two.

3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Bumping my question. Surprised no opinions on the RPR and/or Bergara.

4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i like the RPR, ive shot one a few times and it is an excellent entry into the sport. all the points you made regarding upgradeability and not outgrowing it too fast are solid points. the aftermarket for the RPR is blowing up too, so the product selection is large and growing.

go buy one :D

turtlecreek likes this.
  5. Newsshooter

Hope so, we'll see, haven't been able to shoot anything other than club matches due to work so far this year.

RPR is nice for what it is, I don't like the butt stock, that can be changed though. Tikka has a chassis option too and I like their action better though it doesn't take AICS mags. Savage stealth or GRS are good choices too. My savage LRP that I started out with still shoots as well as my custom rifle. If you're not running them hard like we do for PRS style shooting they will shoot with anything else on the market. With the barrel nut on the savage you can change your own barrels too. You aren't likely to wear out that 308 unless you shoot a lot, most won't worry about a 308 barrel until about 5k rounds. I'm at 2500 on my savage 6.5 CM barrel and it still shoots great.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I don't really need FFP if Im going to range an animal then adjust right? Looking at a vortex 6-24x50 HST and for $638 that comes in under budget with room to get a sig laser range finder on sale.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Bergara is local to GA and has a very good reputation. Locally and in the state quite a few LEO groups are using Bergara rifles. Their builders are some good guys and build some solid guns.

Hard to go wrong with either.
    RPR = Gixxer of the shooting world right now. hard to go wrong and the best bang for the buck, but getting to be a dime a dozen in some places.
    Bergara = MV Agusta/Ducati- could take just a bit of work to make it run well, but might be worth a bit of extra effort and cool if you want something a bit different.

the 6.5 is a solid choice. I will end up with a 6.5 in the future as well. 140 gr match ammo from Hornady is lights out for most rifles and pretty easy to find.

8. turtlecreek

Thanks for the analogy. Well stated.

9. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Based on what you wrote earlier, I read that you were pretty partial to the RPR. Both are popular, both are great rifle platforms. From what I've heard and seen the RPR "feels" a little cheaper than the Bergara. As a production gun, the RPR has done okay, most folks don't like the trigger and the way the stock adjusts and feels. Most of the Bergaras come out of the box with great aftermarket triggers and very smooth and precise actions. I believe the Bergaras are also bedded on their stocks as well.

On the other hand, if you're going to "grow" with the rifle as your skills improve, most RPR owners I know swap out triggers, barrels and then put good glass on them. I shot a 6.5 with these mods in December last year for fun and got walked on to steel over 1300 yards w some high grade Nosler ammo and was grinning from ear to ear. I was really surprised what the gun and the round was capable of.

Can't really go wrong with either imo.

turtlecreek likes this.
  10. turtlecreek

Yes I am leaning RPR and just wanted to be sure there wasn't some huge problem folks on the been had seen. I handled one yesterday. Safety wasn't loose (as some complained about) and I felt the trigger was good.

My only complaint was the bolt felt like it was rough. What I mean is it felt as if the machining marks were sliding on each other, giving it somewhat of an annoying "zipper" feel. My Tikka doesn't do that. Is that normal for the RPR? I don't think it would do anything more than annoy me, but thought I'd ask.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

they have to save costs somewhere, and ideally somewhere that doesn't affect accuracy.

from what I've read the 6.5's all seem to be tack drivers when it comes to the RPR. For whatever reason the other calibers (308 and 243) seem to be just a bit more "loose" when it comes to group sizes and might be a bit more "hit or miss" when it comes to accuracy.

the upgrades to the RPR seem to be pretty solid and there's a lot of info online about some basic upgrades.

12. Newsshooter

Jedb likes this.
  13. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

My opinion is that the RPR to rifles is kinda like the SV650 to bikes. It's cheap and gets the job done. I just don't like the feel of it at all, it feels kind of cheap. But it does shoot well and is a great rifle to learn on. As far as comparing to your Tikka, you have to realize that the Tikka is the smoothest dang action of any factory rifle. Unless it's a custom action, it won't compare to a Tikka.

This is my opinion which you asked for. I know people with the RPR that love it. I have not heard of any big issues, and I do see people running it in our local matches.

Hollywood and Newsshooter like this.
  14. turtlecreek

15. turtlecreek

i keep hearing the same. my dad has a sako and always talked smack about my tikka as a 'budget sako', so i guess i didn't realize, just how nice it is. that being said, just dry firing/holding the RPR, i certainly don't feel like it feels cheap, but again, it depends what you compare it too. thanks. i think i'm set on the RPR now. now to determine what glass i put on it....... :)

blkduc likes this.
  16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I bought the Burris XTR II 5-25 FFP mil/mil and put it on my MK216 308 but plan to put something more appropriate on the 216 and move the 5-25 to a RPR in the future. for the money its some nice glass.. the original press launch of the RPR was done with the XTR glass. Their idea was to have a sub $3k package for PRS matches that would be competitive. mission accomplished.

turtlecreek likes this.
  17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Cool! Let us know how you like it after you get some trigger time! I don't know your budget or what you're looking for in glass but check out SWFA as an option. They are budget scopes that perform way out of their league.

:beer:

turtlecreek likes this.
  18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Wedding present to my self I guess before I can't buy anything anymore

Went beast Mode and got the 300 win mag and vortex 6-24x50. I have no more GAS for guns. I think I have everything I want.

[​IMG]

turtlecreek likes this.
  19. turtlecreek

So how does 308/3006 compare to 300w for kick? I've shot the first two, so just looking for comparison with either.

20. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

put it this way.... it kicks like a mule compared to a .308!

a .308 with a 155 grain projectile shoots about 43-46 grains of powder (Varget in this case) to get to 3000 fps.

a 300 with a 155 uses between 65-85 grains of powder and velocity is at about 3100 to 3400 fps.

I can shoot a .308 all day, but shooting a 300 in a match gets old after about 15-20 rounds for me.

turtlecreek likes this.