1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've got a 6.5 creedmoor if I want to shoot paper.

I just wanted a 300 to round out my gun case for the eventual elk trip I'll go on. I've shot a 300 as a kid at deer so I don't remember the kick but I'll let you know how it goes on the range. Can't be any worse than my single shot wood stock Merkel 270 win stalking rifle.....which I only shoot to check zero then hunt with because it's terrible to shoot on the range.

It's a big gun next to my deer rifles

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thinking about shooting any of the big magnums makes me cringe.

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I bought a RPR earlier this year kinda on a whim. It's good but not awesome. It's a .308 with the 20" barrel w/brake, and adjustable stock. (I don't know what-all versions they have) It seems kinda picky on ammo, my "go to" handloads were merely ok, so I had to play around a little to find what it liked. It's about a .5-.6MOA rifle. I don't like the stock, I can't get comfy behind it but that could just be me. Not sure if I'm going to keep it, or throw a 6.5x47 barrel on it. The RPR won't hold a candle to either of my custom 6 Dashers, but I didn't expect it to. And, .5 MOA is good enough for banging steel or any hunting you want to do.

gt#179 likes this.
  4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Hord I know you hang around those circles more but I've read a lot about the 308/243 versions being more "hit or miss" with regards to accuracy. some are better than others, but from what I've heard most of the 6.5 versions are tack drivers (again, somewhat subjective, my guess is that the 6.5 attracts a more serious shooter, while the 308 may have more variety of shooters behind the trigger??)?

Maybe in the fall will start to look for a 6.5. Will see what I can find but probably a RPR or maybe Bergara as they are local and I hear good things about them.

5. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

6.5 is probably an inherently more accurate cartridge than .308, so there is that. I didn't get the 6.5 CM version because I don't have dies for it, and didn't want to get dies for it. I do load for 6.5x47 already so I'll do that if I swap barrels.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

There's a few places making prefits for the RPR now, shouldn't be hard to find a 6.5x47. No need for a CM if you already have that anyway. Other than a bit of speed there's not much difference in the two calibers. I'd look at the Tikka offerings too for a new rifle, their actions are really nice.

7. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Criterion makes 6.5x47 RPR prefits in several profiles. I'll go that route if I keep the rifle. Super happy with their prefits I've used in the past. 95% as good as a custom Krieger or Brux.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Just got done shooting my new to me 7mm-08. Bitterly disappointed. I just grabbed a couple boxes of 139-140gr of Hornady and Federal(I don't handload yet), but damn.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Get heavier bullets and more than one box from the same MFG lot.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's one of the options I was going to try. The 139-140gr is the most common weight for hunting, from what I seems. Heavier for longer range shooting. My problem is, if I were to borrow it to someone, if its this finicky, I wouldn't trust it.
    Attached are the 2 loads @100 yards. I may not be a sniper, but I guarantee the gun is the issue, not the triggerman.
    The Federals were first, then the Hornadys. 6 shots in about 10 minutes.

IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0039.jpg

11. fastfreddie

Never.

Is it brand new? Could need a little break-in...
    (Are you sure you kept/re-established your same set position for those ten minutes?)

Certainly not quick enough to overheat anything, but the possibility of heat being a factor could still come into play with a new barrel. Is it a heavy or standard profile?

12. fastfreddie

Did you order that Tikka?

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Used gun I bought a month or so ago. Savage 14 Classic, so a standard/sportster. Wondering if this isn't why it was sold.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

No, bought this instead.

15. fastfreddie

Sell it. :D

W/ or w/o a bipod or sling during your shoot?

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's my first thought.

Bipod and rear bag. Very solid.

17. fastfreddie

Sorry for your disappointment. I'd be disappointed, too. A solid rest should produce as good of a group as you're gonna get, but 1.5" from a bolt should be 3x better...for a keeper.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I had hope for it to be a decent gun to start playing with longer range, but its basically worthless. I'll probably sell it, put the 3200 back on my 22-250(its not clear enough for sure, and I'd like a 24-25x) and start planning on a new gun/combo.

19. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

If it's hasn't had too many rounds through it, I'd take a close look at the crown and casings. Want to post some pics?

20. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

A Savage 14 will never be what you're looking for. It's a pencil barrel in a non-bedded wood stock. Sell it and move on.

Hollywood likes this.