1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Totally depends on the caliber and burn rate of the powder. Longer isn't always better.

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It's a wash between the 260 and 6.5 CM and 6.5X47 if you're reloading. The big advantage of the creedmoor is that you can buy match quality ammo relatively cheap. You can usually find it for under $25/box, 260/6.5x47 is usually my like $35-40/box. They all use the same bullets, 260 has a bit more case capacity and thus can push it a little faster. If you look up the loads for the three 260 is often a grain or so higher than the creedmoor, 6.5x47 is even lower.

All have or will have lapua brass available as it was recently announce that lapua will be making creedmoor brass. That being said, I have more than 6 reloads on some of my hornady 6.5 brass and I have only tossed a few for loose primer pockets. Seeing as how I paid less for loaded ammo than some pay for lapua brass I'd say that's the route to choose. :) Prime Ammo is loading 6.5 and .260 in Norma brass, 6.5 is $26.60 and $.260 is 31.99 a box.

The old argument of a .308 and available ammo over the 6.5 is going away too, my local shop now has 6 or 7 different options for 6.5 in match and hunting ammo.

socalrider likes this.
  3. kiggy74

These two calibers are very similar, and you sort of answered your own question. Ultimately will boil down to the ammo and reloading supplies that are available for each. Popularity of the caliber itself can be a factor, especially in regards to hand loading. The more people using the more likely you are to find some load data that matches your preferred/available powder.

I for one would not base this decision on Lapua brass alone. Don't get me wrong, Lapua brass is the bees knees, but isn't enough for me considering that you'll have a little more trouble finding usable load data, loaded ammo, bullets, etc etc etc. Nosler and Hordady also make great brass and you can almost always find 6.5CM in stock somewhere. In that regard 6.5CM is a better option. The ballistics between the two calibers is so similar the 6.5CM is a better choice IMO.

socalrider likes this.
  4. kiggy74

Hadn't heard that about Lapua making 6.5, that's good news. Now if they'd only offer 300WM brass. Never understood why you could buy Lapua in 7.62x39 and not 300WM. I'm sure one exists somewhere, but I've so far yet to come across a precision AK.

5. Newsshooter

All things considered, longer is better if you want more velocity, there's no replacement for displacement.

6. kiggy74

As long as powder is still burning this might be true, but if your powder is spent and the bullet hasn't left the barrel yet you're in trouble.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

great info, thank you guys.

ill look into barrels and bolt carriers for this rifle and if i can pencil it out ill probably go 6.5 just so i dont have more reloading to do. im backed up already on my work bench.

8. Newsshooter

I'd suggest trying the Prime 130 ammo, Norma brass is supposed to be better than the hornady and I've seen good results and a bit more speed from it. I have a ballistic Advantag 6.5 barrel if you're interested, bought it to build during a group buy and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get it built before the new laws take effect here in Cali.

9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

im just south of you in cali also... what length barrel?

10. Newsshooter

Pretty sure it's a 22, I'll need to double check.

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Had to pick up my suckv650 from Kent at GMD and stopped by the outpost armory.

The tikka t3x was awesome. It wasn't so much of a telephone pole like the savage or other rifles .

Felt like it'd be a great option for long range fun but also not so big you could take hunting every now and then

12. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I'm late to the party but my vote is 6.5 anything over a .308. I'm partial to the 6.5x47 but the 6.5CM is a better off the shelf solution. And if you start handloading a 130mm Berger VLD in 6.5 is an awesome thing. With the Ruger PRS, companies offer pre-fit barrels now, so if you get one with a .308 bolt head you can shoot any serious cartridge you want with a mere barrel swap.

Newsshooter likes this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

All this rifle talk, plus trying to help a friend figure out a good option instead of his Remingtom 760 pump/30-06/with a moving scope(cheap ass rings), and searching GunBroker/the Savage site, on top of it all, really makes me want a Savage 14 Classic in 7mm-08. And I dont have any use for it!

14. Newsshooter

Let me make this even better for you..... I keep going back and telling myself, I don't need another rifle but the price is so good on these closeouts.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-forest-7mm-08-rem-95in-twist-224in-bbl-jrtf652.aspx

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You bastard! That is a pretty gun. I do like that I can swap barrels on the Savages(I have a Stevens 200 in 22-250 already), and if I wanted to do some long range, 6.5 Creedmoore is a direct swap, its so simple on them. Of course, I rarely even shoot the 22-250...

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Love my 7mm-08 for hunting.

I think I may do the tikka t3x for the new year

Arioch likes this.
  17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

18. Newsshooter

Just looking at the photos I'd say the rollover on the buttstock of the Forest model. Should help with getting the correct height if you use a larger ocular scope. I have several savages, so I know what you mean about swapping barrels and bolt heads to go from .223 to 6.5, to 7 saum. :) I only have one Tikka and I gotta say the action is much smoother. I really like the savage target trigger but the tikka has a real nice trigger. They have a bunch of lefty actions too.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, that looks to be bout the only difference I see, except the Hunter is $100 cheaper, and comes with rings. I sent that link to my friend. The Hunter would be perfect for him. Probably a little better than that 760.....

Now I just need to keep myself from ordering one....... And I would only put ~40mm Obj(Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44?) on it.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My buddy has a Ruger M77 in 7-08 and it's a great hunting rifle. It's comfortable and easy to shoot all day to develop loads.