1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There was the mention of re-loading, presumably for availability reasons?
    Creedmore, themselves, has excellent cartridges at ridiculously stupid-low prices.

Peep sights...I love it.
    Check the BangSteel thread.
    While this long-range action is new to me, I've been familiar with all manner of projectile weapons since I was about 4. The opportunities to pursue 1000yd shots had not presented itself to me prior to this school and now I'm hooked.

Kivaari...at first I was like how/why is this so expensive, it's everything my AR10 is...?
    Oh, right, .338 Lapua. That has got to be bad-ass...seriously make multiple long distance calls with that one.
    Would fit in nicely with the Match HBAR AR15, AR10 SASS and the M82A1M...kinda makes me want to see an AR17HMR.
    "Awe, how cute..."
    "Yeah, make it black." :crackup:

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

No intensions to reload at this point. 6.5 is reasonably priced and i'd have a hard time sacrifising the time for the savings.

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I will have myself something nice in 338 lapua someday.

BC likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Wish they'd (sportsman's warehouse) ship to an ffl near me, I'd be all over it.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well if you shoot 6.5 and don't want to reload save your brass because there's always someone that wants to buy it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Only thing I don't save is Tulammo I burn through plinking

7. Newsshooter

So I shot the .308 Ruger RPR today, didn't care for the buttstock. Part of it is due to where the scope was mounted, not my rifle so I couldn't set it up for myself. Shot three kinds of hunting ammo and some FGGM 175's. Wasn't as good as my Savage LRP which I had put in a manners T5. Ruger was shooting about an inch, Savage was stacking the shots. I'm going to shoot the RPR some more as I need more time to get my buddies Burris Eliminator programmed for distance with the ammo he wants to use in it. Wish he'd bought a real scope. :)

Zero'd the Savage in three shots, stacked two that were a bit high and left, dialed down one click and right one click, hit the center, done. I did shoot a couple more just because stacking all three. Headed over to the steel range to shoot at 500 meters for programming the Eliminator. Got it close then ran out of ammo. Need to confirm a bit more to be sure I'm happy with it. Pulled out the savage, dialed 3 mils elevation, and hit a steel bowling pin at 500 meters, the load I was shooting was for my stiller action, hadn't shot the savage in a year and it was in a new stock and the scope had been on another rifle for awhile. :)

Guy that was shooting next to me had an RPR and a Savage stealth, shot the stealth and was immediately more comfortable with it. His were both 6.5 creedmoor rifles. Another thing with the 308 RPR is that it comes with a 20 in barrel and the 243 and 6.5 come with a 24 in barrel. It feeds and cycles well with the mag, it is nice for the price, I just need to get more comfortable with it.

8. Newsshooter

9. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

10. Newsshooter

$1600 is too much for an RPR IMO, for that amount you can probably get a bluprinted Rem 700 action, have a barrel spun up for it and put it in a chassis. I know you could do it with a Savage action

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

.408 CheyTac

r6fast likes this.
  12. Newsshooter

If you want to shoot a mile or more..... and spend lots of money doing it. :)

Britt likes this.
  13. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I'm an owner of the RPR in 6.5 as well as a Sako TRG42 in 300WM. I load all my LRP ammo myself, but this isn't necessary for the 6.5CM as there's a pretty good selection of commercial ammo on the market. I've owned a few other precision rifles, including Savage, accurized M1As, AR10s and other Sakos in different calibers. Each time I shoot the RPR I'm more impressed with its performance. I changed the stock to a magpul PRS, but the factory does quite well for the cost of the rifle. The trigger has a little room for improvement, but again the rifle overall is a great value. I've shot 0.40 MOA groups at 100 yrs consistently with a vortex pst scope. Ruger really got the formula right by including a threaded muzzle and compatibility with other AR components. Some say it can be improved more with a different rail or barrel but I don't see the need, although knowing that I can swap the barrel myself once it's shot out is another great feature. Also noteworthy, I walked into a gun store last winter and paid $1k OTD for that rifle. No way I'd let someone gouge for more than MSRP for that rifle. Find a dealer that will let you put a deposit down if you're having trouble finding one.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I looked at a RPR in 6.5 creedmoor at the local gunshow yesterday.....the guy wanted over $1300...too much, I thought. Still looking.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ah, what's the hurry?
    I waited 25 years for my AR10...mighta been 35 years.
    It was worth the wait.

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

news shooter - barrel length on your savage lrp is 26"? differences between 20" 24" 26"?

17. Newsshooter

26 seems to the the sweet spot for long range PRS shooting, longer barrel means more velocity. That translates into less elevation needed and less wind deflection at longer distances. F class shooters will often have 30 in barrels, but then they're not moving or doing positional shooting with their rifles. You can usually figure about 25 FPS for each inch of barrel length. 150 FPS is a big change when shooting long distance.

The barrel on the LRP is a full bull so if can be a bit front heavy when shooting position or off of barricades, not a problem when shooting prone or on the bench.

18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

long range experts: whats the draw of 6.5 over .260 rem? i am currently building an AR with the intent to go .260, so i can use lapua brass for it. i am aware of the overall length and mag issues, but any other concern with .260 versus the 6.5? for me, having a known company that makes dedicated brass seemed to be the route to go... looking for opinions

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

no answer on the above? @Newsshooter you seem to have the most knowledge regarding long range stuff...

20. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Calling it something metric with a cool buzzword in the name helps sell new guns. Soon people can call it "Creedy" and be even cooler. "Shot my Creedy after shooting my Shotty and my Bushy today.."

And maybe a little bit to do with the throat and specified twist allowing longer / better BC bullets.