1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have a single shot pistol(Lone Eagle) in 7mm-08 and love it. Want a rifle because of it.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So after looking at them more, I really want a Hunter. I like the stock on it a little better than the Forest, and with only a 4-12x44(moving over a 3200 from my 22-250), the lower stock should be fine. And I'll be honest, it will be more of a range gun than actually get used for hunting.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Well, I locked down a RPR in 6.5 CM. I guess ruger just shipped them as the prices are back down some.

Now I need Glass. Help me out ..........what should I put on it? Under $1200

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Leupold 6.5-20 should be about perfect. Get good rings, and lap them too, and use leveling tools. and torque everything appropriately.

I know, it's not as sparkly as some other stuff you're going to get suggestions for, but it's a damn good scope for the money.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What are you planning on shooting with it? Do you want SFP or FFP? If you're shooting what it was designed for I'd say FFP, Vortex PST 6-24, Burrise XTR II 4-20 or 5-25 and Bushnell elite 3.5-21 are usually my three suggestions. Vortex with EBR-2c reticle , good solid scope, Burris has a little better glass, SCR reticle is nice and it has 10 mil turrets, Bushnell has better glass and the G2 reticle is nice. Locking turrets are nice, cheaper models have 5 mil turrets which means two turn when shooting out at distance. All have good warranties. Also take a look at the Athlon scopes, fairly new but getting really good reviews.

6. Newsshooter

Here's a three shot group at 800 yards from my last match. Right next to it was a 3.5 inch group at 1K. 6.5 creedmoor, 140 ELD-m bullets.
    800ydGroup.jpg

sdiver and Hordboy like this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

See, this shit I can't even fathom. My heart beats so hard(not fast), that I can see a 1/2" movement, in time with my heartbeat, at 50 yards. Some days may be worse than others, like if I had coffee, but still...
    I am envious of you guys that can do this stuff at such long ranges.

8. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Reviving a thread. I have settled on 6.5 Creed. and a chassis design. I am not 100% sold on shooting long range or not as a hobby, so money matters some. I have joined a club. I have taken a class. I have shot my Tikka 308 out to 750 yds without issue (first shot hit with regularity) decent shooter. Shot my buddies bench gun and it certainly makes a difference, plus my Tikka is a hunter and I don't want to wear it out on the range.

So, my question is: RPR or Bergara BMP and why? Price is within 10% of each other ($1300/1500).

Leaning RPR because:

1. comes with 20 MOA rail
    2. Comes with muzzle break
    3. seems like very good upgrade options, should i want to continue investing.
    4. has everything i want "out of the box" to shoot for a year or so and not "outgrow" the gun
    5. "do it yourself" barrel exchange and AR similarities for tools/mods
    6. like the "inline" stock design

I will say that the finish/fit on the bergara is pretty nice.

If it matters, I'll probably put a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP EBC2 on it.

I LOVE my TIKKA and would really like the Tikka TAC A1, but the price jumps quite a bit and availability seems scarce.

So, lead me to the entry LRS promise land.

9. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

Have you thought about an AR-10 pattern in 6.5CM? You could likely build one without an optic for a little less than the options you listed?

10. turtlecreek

i have not. i have built a 300blk already, so you would think i would go there, but i am looking for sub moa and it is just my perception that you won't find this in an AR that i put together. i'm interested as to whether that is no correct for future options, bu will be sticking to a bolt gun for now.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So I have a shooting question. Are you guys all shooting off a "sled"? I only shoot off of front bags with a crossed arm cradle supporting the rear. I keep seeing these crazy groups at ranges I cant imagine hitting a deer at, let alone a baseball because I cant hold that still.

12. turtlecreek

harris bipod on my tikka. i am only comfortable out to 300 yds for harvesting.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What kind of optics are you using on this?
    [​IMG]

14. G Costanza

I am not a master builder but have built an AR in 6.5 that was around .75 MOA with factory Hornady. Mostly Aero parts and a BHW barrel. I'm just so impressed with the 6.5CM and think it's an excellent round for the AR platform. But clearly a very different tool than a bolt gun.

turtlecreek likes this.
  15. G Costanza

I see so many guys that load a $5,000 rifle into a sled and shoot 10 times over a two hour period. If they're having fun, more power to them. I just don't get it. A 10 year old could walk up, pull the trigger, and get the same result.

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Harris bipod, bag under the rear or my hand depending on the day. Bag is better though.

17. Newsshooter

Nope, mostly prone with a bipod and rear bag for long range stuff, though some courses of fire don't allow those or we're shooting off of different kinds of objects, we have simulated roof tops, ladders, fences, dog houses, tank traps, etc.... Shot a pig at 600 yards last month, first time I'd shot an animal that far away. Looked really small but at club matches I get pissed if I miss an 8 inch target at 600 yards.

Hollywood likes this.
  18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'll have to pick up a bipod for my new to me Savage and a good bag.

19. Newsshooter

Harris BRM-S, rear bags are personal, you'll probably have to try a couple to see what you like, I've found that with a chassis I usually want a bigger bag and smaller with a traditional stock.

Here's a couple videos from PRS matches that will give you an idea of what it's like.

This is from the match our club put on last year.

This is from Vegas

Just saw a post on our club forum from the match in Washington this past weekend, It was pretty windy and there was grass around the steel targets so you couldn't spot misses easily, winner had less than 50% hit percentage, usually it between 70& 75%. They had a helicopter stage shooting at 5 targets while flying. A buddy went 5 for 5 on it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I picked up a browning x bolt 300 win mag.
    Will be used for hunting with longer range shots.

Scope options and longer range I'm sorta clueless about. I'd like to be able to range an animal and turn dials to the range/ clicks up rather than hold over reticle. Budget 1000-1200

Looking at the vortex gen 2 pst 5-25x50 FFP or SFP? not sure which would be better
    or
    Zeiss 5x25x50 conquest, probably the z plex since it's SFP and the rapid z reticle gets inaccurate if you aren't at the right magnification.