1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Agreed.
    BC, I have a NIB Sav. 12 F/TR in .308 I'm thinking of letting go.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

3. Secret to long range shooting? Sneak up closer :)

Arioch likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I have a side question for you rifle experts here. Can you explain the difference, if any, of 300 blackout vs 300 AAC blackout ? I have been considering building up a rifle in 300 blackout after a friend told me about it a while back. I was looking at some kits from Daytona Tactical, and they have kits designated both ways. I am just looking to build something up for range time and because I like options. I currently have a 5.56 AR. Also, what barrel length would be best for these rounds?

6. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have the 5-20 and the 1-6. Both are reeeeeeeeally nice.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

So, based on the experts opinions it looks like the ruger in 6.5 is the way to go. On gunbroker the BIN price is $1600. Help me find a deal so I can get moving on this. :D

8. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but basically the Blackout started as a proprietary cartridge called 300 Whisper. Due to some variations in SAAMI specs and how the manufacturers comply with them, the Blackout came along as a copy that was SAAMI registered with some very minor differences that necessitate procedurally naming them different cartridges. You'll get mixed response to the question if they are interchangeable.

That said, Blackout vs. AAC Blackout .... someone's site designer is being inconsistent, they have to be the same thing.

9. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

FullSizeRender-13.jpg

6mm BR Elisio chasis, with a Pierce action. It's a hammer

Hordboy and Newsshooter like this.
  10. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

For those discussing SWFA scopes I will say this. I agree that they are an excellent bang for the buck in the mid level sector, but there is no comparison to the top tier stuff. Is top tier necessary, well that is up to the individual, but my experience was that I was literally in shock at how much easier it was to see a target at ELR ranges the first time I got a chance to look through a SB, a TT, and even a Razor II (new AMG is supposed to be better still). Inside 1000 yards though I don't see an issue with the SWFA stuff if you don't want any of the fancy add on stuff. Also it's worth mentioning that Athlon is making some decent reviews with the Cronos being compared to the Razor II. I have yet to set an eye through one but if the reviews are true and they prove to be reliable then it's a pretty sweet deal. SWFA is bomb proof though.

11. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I just want to state for the record that I am no expert, just an enthusiast. It does seem as if newsshooter is an expert though or at least professionally aligned with the shooting sports.

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone done any long range shooting courses? Worth it? Suggestions? I Think it'd be kinda fun to get edumacated rather than just natural ability.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They seem to still be in high demand, thought I saw a post recently that Sportsman's Warehouse had them, there is a version II out as well, has a brake, don't know what else they changed. Saw a couple Ganders had them in Texas, don't know which model.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...roductDetail/Rifles/prod99999042279/cat100003

https://www.gunwatcher.com/search-best-price/ruger-precision-rifle-for-sale

Don't discount the savage, mine shoots great, https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...-rifle-6.5creedmoor-26in-stainless-4rd-black/
    Not in a chassis and doesn't take AICS mags, you can upgrade the bottom metal though. I also needed to add some padding and a stock pack to get the correct cheek weld on mine but that was the earlier stock. Though from what I've seen most have needed to make adjustments to get it a bit higher. I can also swap barrels at home with the savage, just order a pre-fit barrel and swap it out. :)

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Not an expert, been doing it for a few years, and I shoot a fair amount and I've seen what works with others as well. I'm also a member of probably the biggest club of PRS type shooters in the country. I'm a mid packer, top ten when I make some good wind calls. That being said there are a half dozen shooters in the club that are capable of winning national matches so the competition is pretty high, kind of like going to a WERA national race. :)

I haven't done any, mostly due to timing and money, but even some of our better shooters have done the Rifles Only classes. If you can find a club to shoot with I'd suggest trying that as well. PRS/Palma/High Power/Bench Rest, whoever will let you shoot with them. Our club has practice and matches every month, don't have to be a member to shoot with us, just show up and be safe. That's how I started, showed up for a steel match having never shot past 200 yards. New Savage LRP, Vortex PST scope, factory ammo and computer dope. Hit the steel target on my first shot at 500 meters and I was hooked. We even have a 6.5 CM loaner rifle with a Vortex Razor on top built by Spartan Precision for new shooters to try. We had 46 new shooters at our recent annual LR clinic, many like the second guy I coached had never shot past 100 yards and were able to make impacts all the way to 1K. You get a line coach with you and you just have to pay for ammo. Prime Ammo became a sponsor after our last PRS match, stuff shoots well. Just get out an shoot, hell I practice with my 22 shooting steel chickens at 200 meters. My nephews think 50 yards with a 22 is too close now. :)

gt#179 likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

This sounds like the the way to go.Thanks for the advice!

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Are you shooting supersonic or subsonic?
    Are you shooting suppressed or not?

Generically, 9" - 10.5" will handle all four options (sub & super, supressed and not).
    Which puts you in the in direction of a pistol, or a SBR.

A fairly well thought out answer
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/foghorn/ask-foghorn-questions-300-aac-blackout-rifle/

A very well done test on ammo:
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ultimate-300-aac-blackout-ammo-test/

17. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

I did a 1000 yard class years ago. I REALLY enjoyed it. I think shooting is like anything else, when you start to take it a little more seriously and do al little homework you realize you don't know shit. Internet homework helps but actual shooting with experienced instructors helping and explaining your faults is damn helpful. And FUN.

18. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. Good articles. I'm not committed either way to supersonic or sub. The range where I am a member only goes out 150-200 yards. There are some other local ranges that go farther; one is 1000 yards I believe. But, for the most part, I would go where I am a member. As far as silencers, I'm in Commifornia, so no silencers. They prefer us deaf I guess.

10.5" with 1:8 twist is what I was looking at. I gotta check what I can even own here. Ridiculous, I know. Laws are getting tighter here Jan 1, so that is why I am thinking more about building something while I can.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I don't think that California allows SBRs, but you would be best to check with CalGuns on that.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Way too many weird rules there.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

get this one
    [​IMG]