1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because I’ve watched countless friends, family, and people I’ve informally coached try and fail miserably (I've been involved in training/diet related stuff for about 15 years, 13 of it believing in high carb low fat). It takes a LOT of willpower to fight the urges that come along with blood sugar peaks and valleys. I'm not saying this to be a dick, but the life you live is VERY abnormal compared to that of the common American. You cannot take your (or my, or any athletic person's) level of willpower and dedication and apply it to the standard person. Remember, we're talking about people that have allowed themselves to become obese in the first place - they're clearly not the strongest willed people on the planet.

Maybe I've been to quick to say "miserable, but why, if given two choices - one that takes a significant amount of effort and dedication, and goes against your genetic programming, and another that's virtually effortless, would you choose the hard one? Compared to two or three balanced, satiating meals a day, eating every three hours IS miserable. For the longest time, my entire world revolved around my next meal: protein bars in the desk drawer, snacks in the car, shaker cups and powders, carrying a cooler full of food, spending all day Sunday prepping 30 meals for the next week, and so on.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The only food group you don't really eat on a low-carb/keto diet is grains/starches (although there are some that are acceptable in certain situations) and there are virtually no beneficial nutrients in things like wheat, rice, or corn (which is why nearly everything made with that crap is "enriched" with vitamins). You get your meats obviously, dairy in the way of cheeses and cream, fruits via berries, and most vegetables are actually very low in sugar (fiber doesn't count). Nearly every meal I eat consists of a meat and a large serving of vegetables/greens and a handful of berries or a piece of dark chocolate if I feel like dessert. All I've quit doing is adding in all those "fillers", (because that's exactly what bread, potatoes, rice, etc are, fillers meant to offset the expense of real food).

3. Nobody said you have to eat every 3hrs. It is VERY hard to eat every 3hrs, and keep your calories down to 1500 or so (assuming that is what one is trying to do to lose weight), unless somebody is eating rice cakes or some shit all the time.

If someone doesnt do keto, and doesn’t eat every 3hrs, that doesn’t mean they are going to be sluggish, grouchy, etc.

You can eat protein, fat, AND carbs, while eating 2-3x a day and still feel perfectly fine and have plenty of energy. I did it myself when I dropped a bunch of weight after getting into racing.

I didn’t go keto. I still ate a good bit of carbs. I just reduced my portion sizes, cut out bullshit, reduced my calories, drank plenty of water, and exercised. I felt fine all the time, I could have maintained it for life it I wanted.

BTW, I’ve heard/read all the horror stories from people when they first go into a state of ketosis. Many people have talked about it on here. The sickness, depression, no energy, etc. That doesn’t sound “simple and effortless” to me.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Keto is one of them. If it works, so be it. But it is not necessary.

You act as if there are only 3 options.

1. Keto
    2. Non-Keto and eat 6-8 meals a day
    3. Non-Keto and eat 2-3x a day and feel like shit all the time.

That is simply not true.

MikeR likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Breads have been a staple of every diet since the dawn of man. Rice has been consumed in the Far East since time immemorial. I don't see either as being an issue.
    I don't eat bread very often and I steer clear of highly processed and enriched breads anyway. Whenever I highly cut carbs from my diet my muscles go flat.

And the whole eating every 2-3 hours all day is a bad practice. Again, the human body was never meant to graze continuously on food all throughout the waking hours like a cow out to pasture.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

So I started keto on September 25th, 2018. I weighed myself that day and was 211. Today I am at 178, so that is 33lbs.

In addition to keto, I am using CarbManager to track everything I eat and am averaging 1,440 calories a day and do intermittent fasting (18 - 24 hours) twice a week. Before keto, I was training at the gym at least 4/week and doing 40+ minutes of cardio and 30+ of weight training. On keto, I workout 3/week and do 20 minutes cardio and 10 minutes weights.

I do cheat here and there, and I understand that this works for my physiology and my lifestyle (IT job/Meetings all day long), but like others have shared, I feel great, have way more energy, and feel more alert.

I eat clean, non-processed proteins with a lot of salads, no carbs or sugar. Just sharing my experience.

ryoung57, 418 and BigBird like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

i lost about 17% if my weight when I was on Keto. Now not on Keto, just watching what I'm eating and have stayed within a 1-3 pounds of my lowest weight. No bread/rice though, and I still carb count trying to stay under 40 but usually fail. Sugar is so awesome

ryoung57 likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I base it on commonly accepted idea that you want blood sugar to remain constant, which, for most people, especially those who've let their bodies become insulin resistant via poor diet, is eating 5 or six times per day.

I feel like we're on completely different wavelengths. All I'm saying is that based on all I've done, witnessed, or researched, keto seems to be the easiest way for most people to effectively lose weight in a healthy manner. It's not the only way, and it's not the way best suited for everyone, it's just the way that will probably work for most people. You seem stuck on your own personal experiences backed up by articles you've read in fitness industry mags that aren't written to be anything more than filler between the supplement advertisements. I wonder what kind of results you'd have, and how your tune would change if you dedicated yourself to a ketogenic training program for say, 90 days. I've seen some guys with insane results but I'm pretty sure several are on T, if not full juice, but even so, most don't have that bloat that usually comes with it.

To put all of this in a racing analogy, you could probably win a superbike race on your R6 if you rode your ass off, late braked every corner, hit every apex perfectly, and got perfect drive out of every corner, but it would be a hell of a lot easier on a big bike.

As for feeling like shit, yes, keto flu is a real thing. It's mostly related to your body flushing out the fluid retained with glycogen which drains your body of electrolytes. Proper supplementation with sodium, potassium, and magnesium alleviates it.

8. Not gonna lie, I eat a ton of bread. :D

I like the Sara Lee “Honey Wheat” one. I probably average 4-5 slices a day.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So seriously, think about what role bread plays in the diet. Why was it developed? What do we use it for? Why do we really need it?

10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Eh. Who cares what other people shove in their pie-holes?
    Most of the world is lactose intolerant, yet much of the northern hemisphere can put cheese down their neck without issue because of a genetic niche. Anyone wonder why this is?
    Diets vary - even in isolated tribes they have some form of starch that is a staple of their diet.

I eat keto so I can have my glass of wine at the end of the day and maintain my 12 year old-boyish figure.
    If I touch processed food - I will binge on it for the next 2 weeks before I can regain composure.
    What bearing does that have on anyone else?

one of us
    one of us
    one of us
    one of us

11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Same....I was stricktly Keto for 2 months and pounds were just shedding off me, and yet i felt satiated for long periods of time, full of energy, my mind was crisp....

While doing the low calorie intake but eating everything i'd be miserable....by 10am i would literally HAVE to have something to eat as i couldnt think straight....i felt like fainting...same thing at 4pm....now i can eat a breakfast and be absolutely fine till 6pm.

I fell off the wagon in Chile cuz nobody fucking speaks English there and ordering at a restaurant is a guessing game...had some carbs a few days in a row, next thing you know im eyeballing fucking Nutella and bread as a "snack"....while on Keto you could plop the most delicious dessert infront of me and i wouldnt crave it.

badmoon692008 and 418 like this.
  12. It holds the cheese.

badmoon692008 and pscook like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have a great metabolism, I just eat too damn much and love it :D

DucatiBomber and Sabre699 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vast majority of what is helping you (and helped me doing half ass keto) is keeping track more than the keto aspect of it all.

15. CausticYarn

Anyone ever eat pork rinds and think what a great planet this is to live on?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never been a fan of stuff that tastes that fried.

17. CausticYarn

I must have been thinking about the pumpkin pie I am gonna nom on tomorrow.
    :)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just pulled two out to cool an hour ago, not sure I'll wait til tomorrow. Also got the pecans candied while the punkins baked so those will go in the oven in a few.

19. Those are right there in the same grouping with shit like liver, curry, fish, lamb, etc. as the nastiest things ever.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I'm confused...does this mean you disagree?

Gorilla George likes this.