1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The fact there is a keto community makes me run screaming for the hills from yet another cult :crackup:

DucatiBomber likes this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There’s a community for everything in the internet age.

K51000 likes this.
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Made with coconut flour

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I challenge the statement in bold.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's relative :D

pscook likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

So got some bloodwork done and my overall Cholesterol was 288,LDL was 188, but the HDL/LDL ratio was good and my triglycerides was mid 60s.

Doc didn't seem overly too concerned.

Sent from my smatrfone

ruckusracing likes this.
  8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If that’s what you got from that article well then you have no hope following a diet.
    As soon as he said “balanced” you should of understood the keto diet was out LMAO!!

Eat safe,
    AAron

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

There is no magic diet, no new break through s in the last 50 years, burn more calories than you consume, eat tons work out hard to burn it off, don't eat/drink to much you work less to burn it off. Do nothing eat, you gain pounds. As a yacht chef in remote locations with a limited supply of food on board, I pay attention and cook every, snack, lunch, dinner, and desert for the last 10 years. The people that are over weight eat 2/3 times what a standard person eats. It's not rocket science

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

:bow:
    But overweight people will convince themselves they have been cursed with a slow metabolism. Ive stopped explaining that they most likely have a higher than average metabolism.
    That’s why diets like keto sell. People love to think they are right at any cost.

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seriously, all that slow metabolism and "glandular problems" non-sense are all self-delusion (and if you honestly have hypothyroidism that can be easily treated with medication and doesn't cause your bodyweight to double/triple a normal person).

I have a sick fascination with that "600lb Life" show. I always find it amusing when the take the REALLY out of control ones and they admit them to the hospital and force them to eat a calorie restricted diet of like 1200 calories a day or something. Just by doing that and literally NOTHING else, it melts the weight off them. The last show I was watching a few weeks back this one fattie lost NINETY POUNDS in a single month, just because she was restricted from shoveling her "normal" diet into her pie hole. Amazing if they do nothing at all, just lay their fat ass in the bed watching TV all day and maybe get up to walk to the pisser a few times a day they can lose the weight of a small person inside of a month by simply following the controlled diet the doctor tells them.

I've seen on other shows where they can calculate the amount of calories needed not even to put on additional weight, but just the amount of calories these people need to eat on a daily basis to simply maintain a 500-600lb bodyweight.....it's a shit-ton of food. You can tell how full of shit they are when they say "I hardly eat that much at all, just like a salad and a few pieces of chicken per day".

13. 418

418 Expert #59

There was a young doctor on JRE that's on the cutting edge of weight loss and life expectancy research that pretty much said that the whole fat people eating more is an misnomer.

When your body has been subjected to years of unhealthy eating habits you need a more radical strategy then "just eat less."

I've found the older I get the less the eating less thing works. I used to be able to fast for a couple weeks and lose a ton of weight. Not anymore. YMMV.

I'll try to find the podcast.

Peter Attia is the guys name.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  14. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, many studies disagree. I recently just watched a documentary about this subject myself (it was either on Netflix or Amazon Prime).

They said the underlying cause for results with ANY diet (Keto, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Paleo, Int Fasting, etc) is that they force people to pay attention to what they eat, and more importantly reduce their caloric intake.

I read a similar article in a Men’s Fitness magazine not too long ago. They wanted to prove that the age-old rule of “what matters is that you take in less than you put out, regardless of what you eat” is still true. They did a study with 300 people split into 3 groups. Each group of 100 was made up of people with various ages, backgrounds, habits, and levels of fitness (or lack thereof).

One group ate a diet of drastically reduced carbs (IIRC, it was like <20g or so), and high fat levels.
    One group ate a diet of high carbs and very low fat.
    One group ate a mixed/balanced diet.

The key thing is that in all 3 groups, calories were restricted to 1500.

The average weight loss was almost identical for all 3 groups, regardless of diet type.

Dom17 likes this.
  15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Or we can say fuck it and have fun, kind of known most motorcycle racers are a little off their rocker

pscook likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nobody is disputing that you have to eat less than you burn to lose weight. You need to get off this idea that "keto" means eat 5000 calories a day of protein and fats and lose weight, because that is NOT what it is. The entire concept is related to your body's mechanisms for utilizing stored energy. If you're eating 1500 calories of carbs, your insulin cycle is going to be all over the place, you're going to be miserable with energy levels all over the place, and ultimately your body is going to go into starvation mode and your metabolism is going to go into the shitter. If you're eating 1500 calories of proteins and fats, your blood sugar will remain relatively stable (and low) so your insulin cycle will be very stable, your energy levels will remain consistent, you won't be hungry and grouchy all the time, and your metabolism will be higher (as indicated by the study I linked above). It's not some "miracle diet", it's just easier to live with so more likely to get longterm results for most people.

17. Where, in any of my posts, did I say “keto means eating 5000 calories a day of protein and fat”? Quote my comment like that.

I know exactly what keto means, and why some people have the idea that it is good and/or necessary. That is their opinion, so be it.

The only time I take issue with it is when the Keto-cultists use comments like “if you don’t, this WILL happen”, or “eating non-keto WILL make you feel...”, or “keto is NEEDED because...”. So on and so forth.

The keto cult followers spout those things as if they are facts, and absolutes. That is not the case. Hundreds of millions of people have lived happy, energetic, fit, non-grouchy lives without a damn keto diet.

If it works for some people, more power to them. Just don’t try to force it upon others making it sound as if people “need keto or they will....”.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because you keep going back to this "it's not what you eat, it's how much" stuff to discount the results people consistently get eating in this manner. I don't know why you can't just admit that being comfortable and eating 1500-2000 calories over two high fat/low carb meals per day isn't an easier and likely more successful way to lose weight than feeling fucking miserable eating the same 1500-2000 calories spread out over 6-8 tiny meals. Not to mention the time and effort that goes into planning and prepping that kind of nonsense.

19. Because it is true. Countless studies have proven it. When it comes to losing weight and/or staying fit, how much you eat is more important than what you eat.

Sure, someone will be healthier eating a balanced diet with protein, vegetables, fruits, etc than they will be eating nothing but French fries and milkshakes. I have to assume that is common knowledge and we are using common sense.

Why do you constantly make this assumption that people who don’t eat keto diets are “fucking miserable” and “grouchy” and “have less energy” so on and so forth?

All of your posts are based on this assumption that people who do not eat like you are living this miserable fucking life. That is bullshit, and you are wrong.

Eating your way may be easier or more enjoyable for some people. That’s great, whatever works for them. That doesn’t mean it is necessary, or that if people don’t eat like that they will be miserable.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Indeed

Different people's bodies/genetics/etc are different. Sure we are all homosapiens at the end of the end, but there's a fair amount of variance within those confines. Different people will react differently to different types of diets. At the end of the day as Chris said, I'm a proponent of a well balanced diet that incorporates healthy and nutrient dense examples from the various food groups (I'd say the only thing I try to cut out moreso these days is dairy).