1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't eat that much curry as it were, but I eat turmeric everyday. Shit's very good for you.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

So I'm healthy, they have great veggies here, I would kill for a cowboy ribeye, but everybody eats veg here so the stuff you see is top notch and fresh all day everyday. The fruit is pretty amazing here. got a bottle of rum now, returned to the hotel I booked online, yesterday that couldn't find my reservation, happy to have a room, but booked full tomorrow, now think about a tomorrow hotel, fucking India!

3. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I have a system that works for me and that was my biggest challenge. Even having a system at all.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Therefore...Olympus fell.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Nah, man, it’s still there. you just lost the map.
    :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I take a circumin supplement, which the active ingredient in turmeric.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Calling @Steeltoe...map please. :D

ain't no stinkin' curry there...

[​IMG]

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Something important to remember as it applies to turmeric/curcumin if you are taking it health benefits. Its very poorly bioavailable. But there's 2 very easy things to do to increase its absorption rate. 1 is to take it with black pepper, which contains a compound called piperine that supposedly increases its absorption by 2000% (yes, sounds funny that's what the study was quoted as). Most good turmeric supplements include piperine extract with them for that very reason.

The other is it take it with a fat source, preferably a healthy one. My favorite way to eat it is with tuna. I mash up some avocado (substitute for mayo) and then dump in some turmeric and black pepper, tastes good and much better bioavailability.

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Anyone here using essential oils?
    :crackup:
    This thread is one of my favs.

Ride safe,
    AAron

10. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Or Loofah sponges...

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like loofahs, scrubs worked in dirt pretty well without being as abrasive as Lava soap :D

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm pretty sure there's several "What kind of oil do you use" threads on the beeb throughout the years. :D

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I love curry though.

Cannoli likes this.
  16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I’m going to try the low carb deal for a month or so and see where it gets me. I’ve been hovering at 192 and 18% BF for a year. I have lots of Strava data and MyFitnessPal food logs so I will be curious to see if it truly is just calorie restriction. My Achilles heel is desserts and coffee so that part is going to be tough. I know about bulletproof, but as far as I know, they don’t make it at Dunkin and Starbucks is intolerable without sugar (these are the two main airport choices).

FWIW, I think sugars have a much more detrimental effect on my metabolism than strictly calories in. Everyone is different, but I’m basing my theory on my blood work which shows borderline high SHBG and borderline high glucose. Also my A1C is within the normal range, but towards the higher end of normal.

I was hoping to learn more about this supposed “Keto flu”, but the only thing I’ve learned in 23 pages is that the link to @CausticYarn ’s photos has expired. :(

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

coffee easy...switch to half/half or heavy cream or have them make lattes using the half/half or heavy cream.

Desserts are tough, but for me it was all or nothing deal. I still eat it, but I feel like trash shortly after. My big downfall outside of cake and cookies are popcorn/nachos with cheese. Once we hit the movies, that I can't stop. But definitely can't tolerate a large popcorn by myself any longer. I'm not totally keto any longer, but I follow the basic premises now.

Keto Flu is real. It makes you feel like you would like to stab a fork in your eye, more akin to a really bad hangover. For me I felt like changing the channel on the remote was a hard chore. But it only lasted a day or so. Also, you can't really do any strenuous exercise or so at the beginning because you'll end up passing out, or at least that was my experience. Also, alcohol tolerance goes to 0. If I drink one beer, I feel hungover in the morning, and that's with charcoal pills.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I read about your experience here. I’m hoping to alleviate some of the “flu” by keeping my calorie intake higher than yours initially. Fingers crossed!

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Good Luck!

Side note: the other week I happened to fall back into Keto, and lost another 3 pounds like nothing, and went down to 132. I was like yeah, let me go to the movies :D

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Keto flu is mostly caused by electrolyte imbalance. Find a “ketorade” recipe you can live with and drink it daily.

There’s a website and Facebook group called Ketogains that’s geared towards maintaining and even gaining lean mass while low carb. Check them out to get your macros in line.