1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Phl218

Phl218 .

gotcha. when i was in germany back then, those were considered turds, bur more compared to superbikes than for racing in spec classes.

i think there was even an MZ cup or so...

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Because I'm a GD weirdo:D I gravitate towards the strangest bikes available at the time. I read a bike review of the Skorpion Replika years ago and thought it was cool as hell. So when I had a chance to buy the race bike, I did. Plus my son was a rookie back then and I figured it would be a great learning bike to race. It is loads of fun, just not competitive in the DSS class. I might just turn it into a street bike.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Over there you could probably get the sportier bike that had that 660 Yamaha motor... in the US the MZ was the only option.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

i never considered it since i had a Monster 600 and was already a duc-snob back then.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Had to look it up- it was the Yamaha SZR660. A poor man's Supermono

Phl218 likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

MZ also made a 125. I had a friend that took his out on a 55mph highway and drafted cars to see how fast he could get it going. I think he hit at least 65 on that thing. :eek: We were planning on doing an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 with me on my Zephyr 550, him on the MZ125. He would have been the first to do it on the little MZ. While we were in the planning stage someone else was the first, so we gave it up.