1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it does.

2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Clapped out SV??

Phl218 likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You shush...

4. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Open a rulebook from say, oh I don't know, 1995, then put a cover on that shit that says 2020!:crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Do those even need brakes?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

This... I race in Midwest CCS so am running the same series as this guy. I won 3 amateur unlimited championships last year on a 2009 gixxer 750 with a bone stock motor and 25,000 miles... Until you're mid pack expert the bike really doesn't matter a ton. I'm actually really glad I did it because it forced to me to get better at passing and not just be able to stick with people and out brake them. Racing against people with more power than you makes you a much better racer.

7. Jon Wilkens

Only to pass tech...not that they work much...not much speed to scrub off either.:crackup:

Phl218 and 2blueYam like this.
  8. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Jon,
    Is the SV clapped out or the WPNS troop twisting the throttle......? :Poke:

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have the superpower to make any bike INSTANTLY non-competitive merely by twisting the throttle. It’s a gift and a curse, haha!

AC1108 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Twist it the other way, stupid. :Poke: :D

Funkm05 and AC1108 like this.
  11. Jon Wilkens

Very possible it's the monkey twisting the grip.:confused:

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

stickin with my 2008's... cause... more money for dirt bikes :)

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

That’s with me twisting it the RIGHT way, lol!

pickled egg likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's capable of lap times faster than I can ride, and that's good enough for me :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The “letter” classes are meant to reward newer bikes.

All these people who want stagnant or level tech across the field should switch to vintage classes...

IMHO, riding old tech helps you deal with bike flaws. Maybe you experience the same sensation on a newer bike, and the issue can be corrected with suspension or ECU tuning, but not mid-race.

Plus i think there’s something to be said for racing a bike that fights you in some manner, and then switching to a newer one that just feels better. Builds confidence.

YMMV

Jon Wilkens and britx303 like this.
  16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yup..... I’ve gone from an Enfield to FZRs and now an R6. I felt instantly safer and better on the R6 and it’s still only a 1st gen, but light years better than where I started. Can’t wait til next season to get on the 2nd gen r6 sitting in the garage now,so I’m understanding far more now, that desire to be on newer stuff. I still love vintage racing, but GD I’m burnt out on it right now.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I figure this is as good a place to ask this (and following britx303's comment about being burnt out on vintage bikes)...

there is a 99 SV650 that is for sale near me. It's wrecked in the front but easy stuff to fix. The guy wants $600 but would probably take 400. I don't want to sink a bunch into it...can I be anywhere competitive with this bike without spending a fortune? I rode a street SV once and wasn't very impressed but the grids seem full and it looks like fun, but I'm aware that there are big differences in the years and tech of SV's hence my question.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Get ready for all the 2G fans boys to tell you carbs suck. Blah blah blah.:D

Buy a built SV and be done. You’ll spend $400 and another $1500 getting it race ready minimum, you can get prepped ones for under $2k.

pscook and TurboBlew like this.
  19. On some of them you can. You can have different engine maps to swap from, and on some of them you can change suspension settings (obviously clicker related stuff only) on the fly. Or you can put it in Dynamic mode and let it make the changes itself as it sees fit.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind. On the other hand I'm a sucker for a beat up mutt, so I'll buy it regardless of what I'm going to do with it. Could be a fun around town putter.