1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. :stupid:

This is one of those things that has always boggled me. $3000 SS motor builds are allowed, but not a $250 MC?

The "need" for it has and can be debated forever. It is more of a "why not?" kinda thing...especially considering other orgs allow them.

R1Racer99 and sdiver like this.
  2. Yes, essentially, you did.

Just because you didn't specifically type the word "uncompetitive", that is what you said, by saying your bike is "outgunned", and "less-competitive than the majority on the grid".

The thing is, you are right. I dont know why you seem defensive about what you said, your comments are accurate. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious. That isn't to say your bike isn't capable of winning, because it is. But you will have to ride much harder in order to beat guys on faster bikes. That has been and will always be a reality in racing, at every level from club to MotoGP.

Personally, I have never given a shit about the whole "so and so could win on that bike" bullshit that people like to say every time this subject comes up. Shit like that doesn't make a fuck to me. When Rossi or Spies is riding my bike, then I wont worry about modifying it or replacing it. As long as I am the one riding it, then I am going to give myself the best opportunity to win.

I have nothing to prove by trying to win on lesser equipment. I would rather eliminate that variable, by having the best shit, and making myself the only variable.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah, but other orgs suck :Poke:

I’m of the purist variant of SS mods. I don’t think you should be able to change braking components, nor should rain tires or slicks be permitted in SS.

“Oh, it’s safety, blah blah wahh wahh I need a doublebubble to hide behind while my 750-stuffed-in-a-600 motors my immense ass down the straights”...bullshit. It’s riding within the limits of the bike, the track, the conditions, and your skill. Exceed any (or all) of the above, meet earth.

Don’t like it, build a SB or GP class machine with all those mods your little heart desires.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Before ABS came along I had no real issue with the rule. After it came along though master cylinder sizes dropped on many models increasing brake line pressure significantly. Not as big of a issue when relying on ABS to prevent wheel slip. When trying on the rider it makes things much more touchy... I think at minimum any bike that comes with a 16mm should be allowed the change it to at least a 18-19 from another model.
    JMO

ToofPic and Gorilla George like this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is pretty much it. I am not terribly fond of what I feel to be excessive rules and think that stuff like protesting because of illegal seat foam or no rear brake fluid reservoir is very stupid and bitchlike. Because of this I built up / raced a machine that was just SB / F1 legal in our organization. That way I could just show up and race without worrying about whining, protests or any of the other drama that makes racing unfun.

I think a big part of this is when people start talking about "needing" the latest whiz bang shit to win. If they phrased it like you just did then there would be alot less of the "well so and so could win on it". No one can argue that better components help a person out. But when they start saying they need those parts to win and use the lack of shiny bits as an excuse I think alot feel obliged to point out that others seem to just fine without those parts.:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the "My bike is competitive but its rider is not" option.

rcarson15, sharky nrk and Kev59 like this.
  7. That is your opinion, and that is fine. Everyone has one. But the fact is, those things are allowed.

I never mentioned safety in my post. I think that is a weak argument for wanting a Brembo MC.

A point that can be made for allowing modifications is that there is a wide disparity when talking about stock bikes. In some cases, allowing modifications from stock can level the playing field, rather than create advantages. For example, this guy's CBR. Allowing aftermarket rotors, MC, etc won't help the "upper tier" of Liter bikes, because many bikes come with top notch shit to begin with. But doing said things to his CBR might help level the playing field a little.

Anyway, that is a completely different discussion. We are talking about MC's in SS. If we want to go with a "stock means stock" rules system, so be it. Do it. But if we are going to go with a "___, and ____, and ____, (so on and so forth) allowed"...then I don't see why an MC can't be included in that list. If nothing else, it would eliminate this debate every year.

8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Personally think it's asinine to think that better pads and steel brakes are allowed to be changed... for what reasons again? But drawing the line on masters....

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

After prolonged whining, yeah. :Poke:

Back before you knew there was a guy named Agostini, we ran SS bikes without changing master cylinders or running rains or slicks. The bikes that had upgraded masters and slicks ran in SB.

So it’s not opinion, it’s history. :moon:

Then that comment didn’t apply to you. :Poke: ;)

SS isn’t about leveling the playing field, it’s about getting the best performance out of a relatively stock motorcycle, and letting the manufacturer putting together the best product reap the benefits of showing up at the top of the results.

It would eliminate the MC debate. Then it’s changing calipers. And wheels. And and and.

10. I know that. Just because I wasn’t racing at that time, it doesn’t mean I don’t know about it. I believe that was called “Production” racing.

...again, I am perfectly fine with that. If that’s how the rules are going to be, then go for it. But just know that will only lead to more bitching.

I can already hear the guys racing bone stock CBR’s, complaining about the guys racing bone stock Panigale-R’s.

Like I said, there is a wide disparity between stock bikes. Allowing certain modifications helps bridge that gap.

11. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

No, 'you' are behind most of the zx10's and R1's and even the newer cbr's.
    If you have a yellow plate on your bike, and can't get into the pointy end of the pack, regardless of your bike, it's all on you.
    Learn to ride your shitbox to it's limit, and you will be upfront in amatuer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I understand what the OP was getting at. All things being equal, including talent, do you feel like your bike is competitive? Before I even finished his original post I predicted the regurgitation of the same old song and dance. "You can't ride the bike to it's full potential so you're basically an idiot for posting", etc, etc. Do any of us, save a select few, ride to the bike's limit? Should Mesa just ride some scabbard ass 2005 ZX10 because he's not lapping around like Johnny Rea? I know I agree with Broome 100%. I want the bike to be on as equal terms as I can get, so I can work on what I need to so I can make that next step.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I didnt see anyone calling the OP anything derogatory. Wasnt it pointed out, last year, that Mesa was advised to not run mr12 or such an aggressive tune... so the bike was softer and the end result was him going faster. Ive seen him deliberately poking the bear with the back end stepping out and upshifting so the TC wouldnt intervene...that would cause most of us to chop the throttle. I would think most racers end goal is to leave it all on the track every race but they are human.

Bruce likes this.
  14. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Not name calling per se. More along the lines of insinuation. I was using Mesa as an extreme example. There are always levels to this sport. I guess I just have my panties in a wad this week lol. But it seems like people forget quickly that they too were once wet behind the ears.

Laz, SpeedyE and TurboBlew like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but that's pure BS. They are absolutely a performance upgrade and not remotely a safety issue.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've tried, it doesn't work :(

track wagon likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where should the line be? SS rules are absolutely arbitrary. All rules are arbitrary. They're nothing more than a line in the sand that everyone can see.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And where is the line.

BTW - a 3000 motor build is idiotic unless you're one of the top 5 racers pretty much in the country.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Slicks were a cost thing as well as simplifying for the at track tire peeps. Rains was because of the silliness the tire peeps went through to make DOT legal rains that never would have passed DOT testing and weren't sold to anyone but roadracers. Not something I wanted to do at the time but it was getting stupid.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All racing leads to bitching. It hasn't changed one iota in the 28 years I've been doing it - no matter what the rules were.