1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Minis ftw. And aftermarket master cylinders.

Bruce, StaccatoFan and TurboBlew like this.
  2. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

For a bike that is from 2008 i think i have made my bike pretty close to as setup as it can be. The bike is faster then i am. It still could have more hp but i think there is a balance in a well setup bike between hp and everything else.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I'd love a 2008 cbr1000rr to race............jus' sayin'.

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

No CCS doesn’t but WERA does. I’m saying WERA should allow them. Better master cylinders imo are a safety upgrade not so much a performance one.

5. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

My 7 year old bike still seems fairly competitive..at the club level anyway

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Oh no. Now you did it. You opened the age old can of Schlitz on Dong Pilot’s fireplace mantle.

Someone summon the Ducati shock link gods!

MachineR1 likes this.
  7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

No I’m just trying to make a point that’s all. Not an argument or anything. As a person with a bike who’s front end brakes were garbage from the factory and as a person who has had many of sketchy moments due to heavy brake fade I think it’s a safety issue and not a performance issue that’s all. I know I’m not the only person that feels that way.

Patrick Hannigan likes this.
  8. bfkidd

bfkidd Well-Known Member

I can attest to this. That 929 was a total turd on the straights! :p

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no worries... just amazing to me what you can buy these days for so little moola.
    I have a small 05/06 GSXR 1k obsession. Mostly because I was riding ZX12s & Boosas in the early 2000s... first thing I noticed is how much lighter and thinner the bikes were. I bought my first one in 2005 because it was like a few plugs and some tape from being track day ready. Then I realized I knew nothing about how to ride on a closed course so I went backwards to something with less power & more disposable. Been a great journey and honestly if you had told me that you dont need high hp to have fun... I would have laughed at you.

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

To be fair, it was a turd in other ways too. :D I also still wish I had it (as a street bike). Of course I also wish I had almost every bike I ever owned, ESPECIALLY that '75 Kawi Z1.

11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

race a 3-4 generation old 600 with nothing more than an exhaust, a power commander, and proper springs in C class. Humility will occur.

Motohead8 and rk97 like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Upgrade to a 2nd gen sv650

13. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

For me, when I want to turn some fast laps....

I sign up for the two-up ride with Jason Pridmore.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

My bike has durrani wheels so I win?

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

All of my stuff is very competitive for the classes. Mostly, that's because I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible so that I could work on my riding. I really can't speak to liter bike stuff, but my R6 is very competitive in SS classes, and my FZ-07 is very similar to race winning setups in MotoAmerica.

Same bike, same tires, No excuses. anytime I can't do the lap times, it's not the bike's fault. Just work on yourself!

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If your bike has garbage brakes from the factory and the class requires a stock master cylinder then it is not a safety issue for the following reasons:
    No one is forcing you to ride a particular bike for that class. Go buy a bike that has better brakes.
    No one is forcing you to use the brakes beyond their capabilities. Figure out how to deal with the issue by using the brakes within their performance envelope while improving other areas of your riding or bike to compensate.
    The premise of racing is to compete for the win. If you are not willing to do more than everybody else in the race in order to win, then you have no excuse. That includes being willing to push yourself more if necessary, spend more if necessary, prep better if necessary, etc. If you are winning already with crappy brakes, then what are you complaining about?
    As for a better master cylinder not being a performance improvement, that's complete nonsense. You put the thing on because it performs its job better. Thus, it enables you to perform your job better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    crashman and pickled egg like this.
  17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

It's unusual in more ways than this point alone, but when ole Shaun Harris dropped by for a few months he borrowed someone's clapped out 03 R6 and podiumed his races in the local 600 sprint races in a mix of SS and stock, maybe even first, it's been a while. He beat most of the field by the exit of T1. That bike was a POS but was suddenly competitive.

rk97, MELK-MAN and SpeedyE like this.
  18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ban Mongo.

19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

All you need to do is compare your lap times with lesser classes...if they are doing better times than you...it's you that needs work, not the bike. Get the bike set up well, and then learn how to get the most out of it. Club racing is all about the rider, not so much about the equipment.

As far as my bike being competitive in it's class...very. As long as your bike is in the ballpark performance wise...a good rider can more than make up for it's deficits.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Eight Screws likes this.
  20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If all bikes were raced stock then you might have a point. Seems rather arbitrary to allow many supersport mods for vatious reasons but not master cylinder.