1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I get that. I like to tinker. And flatslides are beautiful. :D

crashman, rd400racer and TurboBlew like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yah I have like 4 of them...lol. From ss to flatslided sb

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:D
    I wanted to go the SV route, and a 1st would be my choice too, but my luck I’d just be pissin in the wind:D

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I feel ya on that. Weird how everything goes full circle. I sold my MZ Skorpion 10 years ago to get my son an SV. Then he announced that racing is boring and wants to mountain bike instead. Well crap, I liked that MZ. Then as you know the MZ pops up again for sale a couple months ago and I buy it back and then race it at Nelson last month. And while fun, it left me wanting for something more again. Enter this SV for sale. If I would have just bought the SV 10 years ago it would have saved me a hell of a lot of headaches:D

Phl218, britx303 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have 2 garages full of "someday" projects.

Phl218, SuddenBraking and rd400racer like this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’ve got a barn full:confused: It’s not as fun as it sounds............without a large bank account to fund them all:D

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I think you misspelled “endless” ...

TurboBlew and britx303 like this.
  8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I understand and agree with what you're saying, but it all comes down to requirement of extra work. If it requires more work, it's not gonna happen. Easier to let built motors through in SS because the level of work to verify said things is too great. Easy to do a visual inspection to see if your M/C is aftermarket though.

Could mandate pump gas only in SS, but requires more work. Therefore it's not gonna happen.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

Racing vintage is either great fun or the worst ever, it all depends on how the bike is running. Especially when you are not the most mechanically inclined person in the world

Every time I come back from a meeting or track day and the bike ran like crap or never ran at all the wife is like why don’t you buy a new reliable bike and I’m no, despite all my efforts it will expose my severe lack of talent/testicular fortitude

I do really enjoy riding my vintage bike in new bike classes, you learn a lot about racing and race craft when you have to strategize passes knowing at the next straight you are going to get blown past by the newer bikes

The same applies to the OP, having maybe the slowest bike in the class is not the end of the world as you get to learn and get better then if it’s holding you back upgrade
    My thought process is if rider X, current or past AMA or equivalent racer rode my bike and ran a lap time 10 secs faster than mine current PB then it is on me to improve say 50 to 60% of the difference then improve the bike

SpeedyE and pscook like this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I have one of the better 600s on the grid and cant even win a amateur race. I am barely faster on it now than I was on a bone stock CBR600 from 2007.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Have you tried any coaching like YCRS or Rickdiculous?

rafa likes this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Listen to RRP... The OEM boingers on the SV are complete shit on street or track, and fixing that alone will render that $400 SV a non-bargain. If carbs are your thing, then a G1 SV is fine, but spending $2K-2500 on a prepped one makes less sense when there's G2's for $3K-3500

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get exactly what your saying and I know it's the smart thing to buy ready made, but I still like taking a bike totally apart and rebuilding everything my way. I bought it. At the very least I can make it streetable for less than $500. As far as racing it, I've got all winter to decide if that's the route I'm going. I've never raced a bike this new:D

SpeedyE, britx303 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Kelly - I totally get it. Here’s where my latest 1G started.:D
    8ADC3157-946F-4835-ACBF-641E4783CD43.jpeg

SpeedyE and rd400racer like this.
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I have not. Maybe one day. But as of now I dont mind being slow, I still get to battle with other riders and have fun.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

All the performance parts I added to my bike never really did anything for my speed other than make the same lap times easier.

badmoon692008, MachineR1 and SpeedyE like this.
  17. Tristan

Cool, I'm sure you'll like it after riding your other shitpiles :D
    Buy that endurance tank in the classifieds and come play

rd400racer likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

why would you buy an MZ in the first place?

19. That’s partly the point, and that’s when the focus goes back to the rider.

If you are “on the limit” with stock parts (braking points, acceleration points, turn-in points, etc), then it becomes easier to do the same times with aftermarket parts, that’s when you have to push harder to find the (new) limit with the new parts.

Rinse and repeat.

If you (read: anyone) change to better components, then do everything the same on track, it’s almost a waste.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Because they were super sweet.... 20 years ago. The KTM 690 of their day.

rd400racer and Phl218 like this.