1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school football clobbering

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Nov 3, 2021.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I get the ranking system point, but Ill counter with another for putting in 2nd and 3rd string. Its HS football, you want your juniors, and sophomores to get game time experience, you want a game situation team ready next year, you also dont want to risk a disgruntled opponent jabbing eyes or intentionally hurting one of your starters, even the small guys can hurt you with late hits and cleats. Its not about hurting someones feelings, its about having a well rounded deep team, and protecting your players.

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They were likely just using it as practice at that point. We did this occasionally in basketball and soccer during my sports days. Working on sets, plays etc. Not saying it makes it right or wrong, just kinda what it is.

mmunoz411 and BigBird like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sports are sports. There was no change in subject. We can quibble over whether that school is in the wrong division or not but you don't play any sport going in playing to lose.

BigBird likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

At what point would putting in the second string or not going for two been "playing to lose"?

dtalbott likes this.
  5. Venom51

No difference. A second string player is second string because he isn't as good as the first string player in the position. I am quite certain most of the mechanics aren't as good a driver as the man normally behind the wheel.

6. Venom51

That's a valid point but since I'm not the coach of that team I don't get to make that call. But unless you have a need to have your second string players get some more time on the field I don't see a reason. If that team is so fantastically weak why not give the first string starters the week off. I can actually remember that happening.

7. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Exactly. One of the reasons I stopped watching college football was watching Tim Tebow dancing around like an idiot after scoring a TD against a tiny school in an early season game. Hey pal, you score a TD against Georgia, celebrate all you want. You score a TD against a bunch of guys the size of your equipment manager? Flip the ball to the ref and jog to the sideline.

dtalbott and FastByKids like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Show some respect. The man had one good game in the NFL.

9. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I have been on the receiving end of beatings like this. I went to a small private school and lets just say that certain sports we didn't do well. Played 8 man football with 8 guys my senior year in high school. The only reason I even played was because we wouldn't have had a team otherwise. We lost every game except one. Got 45'd at half time in our homecoming game. Very embarrasing for the team and the fans.

I think two things needed to happen in the 106-0 game: 1. The refs needed to call it at 45 point margin. The game is over at that point anyway. 2. One or both of those teams needs to be in a different division.

Losing is one thing, but getting monkey stomped for 4 quarters when the game was over after one seems a bit much.

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

sounds like it sucks to be a loser.

11. Venom51

Apparently it makes you sympathetic to the plights of others. :D

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  12. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Some say it builds character. I say it makes kids not want to participate.

Sudowoodo, DmanSlam, dtalbott and 4 others like this.
  13. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

It definitely teaches character. Its okay though, we went to CIF finals many years in baseball and volleyball. Those were rough years for the football team though. Its tough when your entire high school is only 80 kids. Not a lot of talent to pick from.

14. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

padding stats for maxpreps and nothing more.

Jed and dtalbott like this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I would have approached the situation differently. Don't roll over and give up and don't take your foot off their throat entirely, but use that time to try different things. Yeah we're up a bunch. Put the b team in, try players in different positions, try different plays, work on stuff, but don't just roll over and play dead. It's an insult to both teams and players at that point. Yeah it happens. Some days you just gel and it comes easy. In my playing career I've been on both sides of serious routs.

The coach of the winning team is an asshole from the sounds of it (although I haven't really read too much into it). IMO that's outside the boundaries of sportsmanship. Nobody gained anything from that. IMO There was an opportunity to learn and grow in that situation and both teams and coaches failed.

I've got about 7-9 more years of coaching kids sports (rec baseball). The kids are great. Some of the parents and other coaches make me want to throat punch them. The real assholes are just reliving their "glory" days and it's not about the kids learning and growing at all. You can see it reflecting in the kids, they really lack perspective on what it's all about, but they don't know any different.

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If My kid was on the receiving end of a beating like that, I'd make him ride in the bed of the truck on the way home from the game. When he asks why.........Because you stink!

Rich and BigBird like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Need to put "Crasher" as Teds middle name if we're going to talk about staying novice two years. There's a reason we do what we do :D

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There's a difference between playing to win, and having some sportsmanship. These are kids we're talking about. I'm not saying to not keep score, or everyone gets a trophy(quite the opposite, actually), but there is something to be said with winning with class.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Nope, this is the thinking of the naysayers around here..."Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!"

Personally I'm quite sure anyone that thinks it's cool has never played/coached a sport in their life.

Scotty87 likes this.
  20. Venom51

You sure about that? I've done both. But to each his own. Teaching failure seems to be the new hip thing to do so the yuts don't get their feels hurt.