1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school football clobbering

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Nov 3, 2021.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

So I just read a story about a high school football game in Inglewood California where one team won by a score of 106-0. The referees offered in the first quarter to institute a running clock to speed up the game, which by that point was already out of hand. The coach refused. He kept in the first-stringers the whole game, and they went for a 2-point conversion when the score was 104-0. The winning QB threw 13 TD passes. Whatever happened to sportsmanship? That just seems so wrong, but maybe I’m just soft in my advanced age.

dtalbott likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The 2 point conversion was definitely over the top.

cav115 and TurboBlew like this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It is wrong.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And it was the coach of the winning team who refused to allow a running clock.

5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Sometimes you're the hammer. Sometimes you're the nail.

cav115, 969, Shenanigans and 5 others like this.
  6. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I have been on the wrong side of a few games like this coaching travel hockey, i made sure to pull the other coach aside during the hand shake. Lets just say i gotta a talking to after i expressed my displeasure as well as a few other things.

As a coach i would never do that to another team unless it was in a tourney and the first tie breaker is goal differential. Otherwise you just look like a fool.

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

If there were no onside kicks, then they went way to easy on those losers.

cav115, TurboBlew, DmanSlam and 6 others like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Been on both sides of slaughters that needed to be called as a coach, parent or whatever.

There's always a parent or ten that cheer that crap on.

Watched peewee football the other night waiting for my field space and they tried to get the game over (so they didn't have to pay us for our time) by running the clock and you'd have thought they asked the teams to forfeit (coaches).

I bet there are coaches looking for jobs within a week of that game. Kali doesn't put up with that shit. :rolleyes:

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Someone has to lose. Maybe they can make them feel better by not keeping score from now on. Maybe they can get trophies just for being there.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe they can go back and learn how to actually play the game now.

cav115, Shenanigans, crashman and 3 others like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

classless.
    Especially when you leave the first team in.

Now if the 2nd or 3rd stringers kept scoring then all bets are off.

t11ravis, SuddenBraking and dtalbott like this.
  11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

When I was principal at a school in Alaska, our girls basketball team went up by about 50 points at half. Our coach still had her first string in and was running a full court press. I let her know that unless she started insisting on passing, playing all of her team and letting the other team move the ball into their half of the court, I would pull the team and forfeit the game. She believed me and rightly so, because I was ready to do it. It was embarrassing for me, our team and our fans. The principal of the other school was a very good friend and I had to call him and apologize.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@ckin' fierce and props to you! :up:

14. Venom51

Seems like a good lesson for the next kinetic conflict. If we start winning by too much we'll just surrender.

crazymofo likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Same thing happened when Scott Russell was in the novice class.

418 likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sorry for the team that scored zilch. Maybe they should have walked off when the refs wanted to assist...

17. Venom51

You mean he didn't just pull over and stop when he got too far out in front?

18. 88/532

No, and he didn’t even offer to replace the paint he blew off your bike when he lapped you.

jrsamples likes this.
  19. Venom51

Well there you go Scott clearly has no class according to the opinions expressed above. An alternative concclusion could be you should have learned how to go faster.

969 and BigBird like this.
  20. 88/532

Alternative conclusion said think about what you’re asking. It was correct.