FZ-07R Superbike Build

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ryan79, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

IMG_7439.JPG IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7435.JPG Relocated dash gauge back about 1/2 inch. Trimmed around frame sliders and case guards. The case guards were what was causing the bottom fairing to not mate up well. I had to trim the inside edges of the front corners of the belly pan too in order to get the forward dzus fittings to line up.

2. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

IMG_7440.JPG IMG_7442.JPG IMG_7443.JPG More pics

3. Very bad considering aluminum doesn't spark...

4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The gauges will barely touch the windscreen, that's normal. I am running a 190 rear Bridgestone for the added ride height. Works well.

5. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Well, I got a half day on it at Barber before the cold rain started...we cut our losses and called it a day. I love the thing! Once I got the front ride height adjusted it felt just like a 75hp version of the KTM RC390 I had. The power delivery was very similar too.....nice smooth long curve. I felt pretty comfortable after just one session. I had zero issues with rear grip...it was kind of cloudy and only 65 degrees...so I am really happy with the 180 R10 rear. I wasn't pushing on the front super hard just yet.

Only issue I had was I found the fairings to interfere with the rear brake. If you are running the stock rear set plates I would plan on this being an issue. I am still working on a design with my brother for the rear set plates. The plan is to make the left side a two piece plate.

I ordered a steering dampener for it. Some of the elevation changes gave me some head shake...prob mostly due to rider technique but it was kinda scary in turn 4 and coming over the tunnel. I think I heard WERA requires one anyway. I will post pics when I get the thing installed.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a rain tire for it?

Dragginass likes this.
  6. lateapexer

lateapexer Well-Known Member

Well you are already running fast tires that carry contingency. The Bridgestone rains are still 120/180 or very close. They are light like the r10s as well

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I raced ours at Roebling in LWTSS. It's a shame Yamaha put that ridiculous airbox on it. I was getting slaughtered on the front straight, at least 10mph slower than my SV. On the other hand, Perdiew's FZ07 SBK was an absolute rocket.

8. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys! Loving the bike so far this season. I guess the rear axel nut can start to tear up the rear axel blot over time. A buddy of mine said he had to cut his off because the threads got destroyed. Anyone know where to get an aftermarket rear nut and what the specs are? I just went to fastenal to see if they had a 27mm m18 1.5 nut and didn't have any luck. I am assuming those are the correct specs. I was hoping to get a castle nut and have the axel drilled. Have any of you guys done seomthing for this?

I entered a heavyweight race just to get some more seat time. Pretty sloppy riding but it was fun to try and battle with the 600s.

Ryan

9. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Oh yea. It keeps falling out of 5th gear. Any thoughts on that? Should I change quick shift interval ? If I clutch the shift it stays in gear.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm pretty sure we used a castle nut from a 2nd gen SV650..

JBall likes this.
  11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Design flaw. Very common. I think AP is working on a solution.

12. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Cool thanks. I'm worried about over rev when it does that.....can't be good for it

13. pdt155

pdt155 Active Member

I have my FZ-07R getting wrapped up shortly here in the mid-atlantic region. This is the first I have heard of a gear issue. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Also any other common issues? I'm going to run it regardless, but it would be a good heads up