1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ-07R Superbike Build

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ryan79, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I am just starting the process of a FZ-07R Superbike build. I wanted to start a thread to gather a bunch of information all in one spot. I posted my prospective parts list. I am not going to lie...it adds up quick! I am sure there are things that I am wrong about or forgetting all together on the list. Take a peak and share your thoughts...the more info that gets tossed out the better. This is my first full bike build...so there will be lots of learning. Also, I apologize for any forum etiquette I miss....not an experienced forum user.

Starting point: I purchased a 2015 FZ-07 salvage from gcally for $2000. The front end and plastics are crushed...but everything else seems to be in like new condition. We think the bike only had about 800 miles on it. The tires still had nipples on them. I will be selling the wheels and whatever parts are still good that I don't need. Hit me up if you see anything you want. I also picked up a set of R6 wheels from his brother while I was at their shop.

Initial Plan:
    Change front end to 08+ R6 front end (stock forks)
    Convert rear to R6 rear (Up for debate. 520 chain? 525? Leaning 520 if it is logistically possible, less mass. I am assuming there is a way to get a 520 sprocket on an R6 rear wheel)
    Run R6 Stock brakes with Steel braided lines
    Aftermarket rear shock and ride height link from AP
    AP body (FZ-07R.com)
    AP YoYo Slipper Clutch
    Yosh Full Exhaust
    Bazzaz FI QS TC (I can get a great deal on Bazzaz)
    Other parts on list

One thing I want to cover in detail in the thread is how the R6 front goes on. From what I can gather, you just buy a $45 top stem bearing and bolt it on. I am told this is the bearing here...but I want to double check with AP. www.twfracing.com/partspages/stearingheadbearing.html

Also, I need to clear up which shock to get to go with the ride height link from AP. I assume its the FZ-07 shock dimensions you want? So FZ-07 aftermarket shock? Not R6?

Research air-box mods. I haven't found much on this. AP sells velocity stacks for the intake. Assuming K&N goes along with this? That might be all there is to it? I don't plan to do any internal motor work this year. Intake will probably be the biggest key for me to make max power in my case. Intake-Yosh exhaust and Bazzaz. I will map for MR-12 at the big HP tracks like Road America.

Here is the list and initial pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Pics

Attached Files:

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

JustaNobody likes this.
  4. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks man. I will have to give that a try.

5. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

I wonder how that setup would do in the rain.....

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The bike comes with a 5.5 rear wheel. I'm not sure what the advantage of a r6 wheel is. Is it lighter?
    You'll use an FZ07 Penske shock with the AP link. Doesn't matter which wheel is on there.
    The bike can definitely use a slipper clutch. It has a lot of engine braking. Some of this might be able to be tuned out a bit by reflashing the ecu.
    The bike is very light. It turns in and holds a line better than any SV I have ridden. It has awesome low end and midrange, but the stock airbox kills the top end power. The Hord airbox takes care of that.
    You definitely need case guards. The water pump is very vulnerable. Woodcrafts are very nice.

MXjunky likes this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

no problem

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what horsepower these will put out, but I will add on an SV, we didn't go with the wider GSXR wheel like a lot of guys did. I was all set to buy the conversion kit for it.

The tuner we were working with, Tige from Cycle Mall, suggested staying with the smaller wheel and running the 160-165 tire. My kid set a bunch of records with a 80HP SV running a small rear wheel and tire.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The FZ07 comes with a 5.5 wheel stock. I would have preferred a 4.5 wheel so I could run a blue 160 Pirelli.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I have not worked with that version of Bazzaz but if it does not have ignition timing capability I would go with a PCV or flash. The FZ likes having the ignition timing tickled. I can source a lot of stuff on your list if you want.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You riding a Yamaha next year mike?

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We have one we're playing around with. It was at the GNF.

MXjunky likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'm obviously not very observant.:crackup:

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It was in disguise...

15. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

I'm working on one of these myself and am skeptical that the frame is straight as they seem kind of like a schwinn.
    Wholesale price on new frame is $460.

16. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Hey! Been super busy working on the low voltage wiring at the house we are building. I haven't had much time to mess with the bike.

I finally spoke with Any Palmer today. He has a custom top stem bearing made for for the R6 front swap...I went head and ordered it from him.

We spoke about shocks. I decided to go with the K-Tech that he has modified to fit the FZ better along with his suspension link....the stroke is a little longer on Andy's version of the K-Tech shock...it was quite a bit cheaper than the Penske.

He is also selling the same intake system as JD Hord. Sounds like him and JD both played on the dyno and came up with the same result for intake boot length.

We talked about the ins and outs of the R6 rear wheel. Benefits discussed where: It will match front (cosmetic), more plenty full than the FZ rims. I have a complete set of R6 wheels...so I just went with it. The FZ crush drive is exactly the same and will fit the R6 wheel. He takes .008 off the stock brake hanger...so you have to send yours in to have it done and he ships it back.

Regularguy, thanks for the input on the Bazzaz...I need to do some more research on that one. I can get dealer pricing through a friend on the Bazzaz or I wouldn't even be considering it.

Rob Linders How did you get the 4.5" rim on it?

Cheers

17. mattnes17

mattnes17 Member

Bummer.. Thats the risk when buying a crunched bike..
    Its good frames are cheap, some new steel Duc frames go for over 2K! :Puke:

18. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Updated parts list

Attached Files:

19. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Wow...I should probably get some sleep. Looks like a homeless person wrote that. Crush drive....wtf

20. Ryan79

Ryan79 Well-Known Member

Is anyone smart on R6 front brake options? I want to stick with the stock calipers and master cyl for now. I am trying to figure out what rotors to get.....do most go with 320mm over sized rotors? Does anyone have a rotor brand preference? I also need to find a good set of steel braided lines too.