1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I just asked Darren what he planned on doing if he got cancer. We have two little girls that need him around. He made up some bullshit about them just cutting it out and not treating beyond that - I would bankrupt us in a heart beat to make sure his stubborn, narcissistic ass stayed alive for our kids. He wouldn't let me.

It's a scary thing to think about or talk about. But as we get older, it's more necessary.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I know. Need to get it in writing as a backup. But overall she's pretty smart with the whole saving people thing. We watched her mom and my dad both last too long.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have dogs and the 20k or so in life insurance will pay for them.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't think the cancer example is a good one, it involves (for the very short sighted) only oneself.

Now ask Caustic (or anyone else) what would have happened if one her of girls was a premmie, aka million dollar babies....

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You need a faster computer. Oh wait. You're Canadian (it's all on you). :D
    The stuff to worry about is not after you are dead; it's after you wish you were dead.

Sounds to me like maybe this isn't all that well sorted, but likely a lot better than most. People spend a lot of effort making for a good life and almost nothing trying to shore up a good exit.

Newsshooter likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not concerned at all about the wish I was dead part unless it's a case of being like Papa. All the rest of it has been discussed and actually is sorted out with all of my family. Helps we've seen the waiting shit go bad and we all feel the same way. There won't be any problems.

Hence my concern more about after I'm dead. I don't trust her to toss my ashes in a trash can :D

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Are you telling us for someone who comes off as such a squared away feller, he isn't medically insured??? Gaaassppp!

8. dsapsis

All I can say is that it's a lot easier said than done, and if anyone is really honest with themselves, they recognize the possibility that when faced with something other than subjunctive circumstance, their ideas might change. And when a full life partner is involved, their wishes count too.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I understand all that and have every faith in my loved ones following my wishes. Just as we followed my dads. Wasn't exactly easy but no one ever second guessed the decision, just as they won't with me. Not like I haven't been totally up front about it. We're all big fans of allowing humans to be put down when it's time too :D

10. dsapsis

Do you think Evelyne would object to you not getting treatment if you were diagnosed with cancer, and the treatment cost $6k? Would it matter if it were $60k? Sometimes you might think an answer is solid, but there lay cracks below the surface...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She'd go with my decision even if she weren't totally happy with it. But you're changing subjects again ;)

12. dsapsis

How? Seems like it's all within the realm of health care decisions, and in this case back to where we started regarding costs, acute vs chronic care, and what insurance gets you under some hypothetical circumstances.
    I'm also fine with letting it go, as I fully recognize it's not only personal, but probably sensitive. That said, I encourage families to set out some serious talk time together. Too many of us have seen awful end-of-life situations, and while it might seem an oxymoron, a good death is something that should be nurtured.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nurtured?!? :confused:

A good death is unexpected, immediate and without a lot of cleanup. I recommend appointing a trusted friend to wipe your drives upon your passing. :D

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shoulda axed me what I'd do when I came down with tuberculosis

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'll live til I'm dead, and see zero sense in bankrupting my kids' kids to prolong my agony.

16. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

That million dollar baby would have been fully insured (like good citizens, we are) - but the lifetime cap would have hosed us from any future medical care though.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Seen that happen on more than a time or two even when the patient had an advanced directive and the family ignored it and told the doctors to do everything possible. Docs usually side with the loud family that is going to continue living long enough to sue. :)

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There are other things besides cancer you need to worry about. I now have to rely on a machine to live, at a cost of about $80k a year. Barring complications, my condition is not fatal, unless I stop treatment.
    Not many people could afford an extra $80k a year for medical treatment, and that doesn't include hospitals or doctors, just the dialysis. It cost roughly $20k just to have the dialysis port installed.
    People need to have affordable insurance available to pay for catastrophic illnesses.
    There are things that nobody can afford.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's the sad / scary part of it. So many people are all focused on the length of life instead of the quality. What the hell is the sense of being alive if all you can do is lay there ?

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yep, my wife has been an ICU nurse for 30 years, she probably has that discussion with families at least twice a month and often twice a week.