1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where do we go from here? The ACA is done, nobody wants single payer, but going back to the pre-ACA system won't work.

In my opinion, there is no way to fix anything without bringing the consumer back into the healthcare process. People are going to have to involve themselves in the "sales process" and there's going to have to be competition. Think of how elective procedures go. You can get Lasik for $500 but if you get something in your eye and need it cleaned out, it'll cost $5000 at the ER.

Along with this there will have to be some individual accountability. Smokers, drinkers, fast food junkies, recreational drug users, etc should pay more for insurance than healthy people.

What else?

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

So should motorcycle racers, skateboarders, those who live near power lines, people who don't work out, pilots, those with sports cars, promiscuous people, people who live in high crime areas, climate change deniers and anybody with black mold in their homes. The possibilities to destroy freedom are endless.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes they are, but it's likely unavoidable. The precedent is already set with car and home insurance. Hopefully there will be limits, but it's honestly not fair that my insurance rates are higher because some fatass won't lay off the McDonald's and gets sick all the time.

4. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Do you want to reform healthcare or healthcare insurance? I know people will discount this but the private healthcare in Guadalajara is phenomenal from both a care perspective as well as a cost one. Prices are known upfront and choices can be made accordingly. One of the biggest contributors IMO is the lack of involvement from the lawyers.

sheepofblue and pickled egg like this.
  5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

ACA isn't done. Multiple sources of truth point to the idea that they're not going to repeal it all together.

Trump and Gingrich have both said that the pre-existing conditions clause will likely stay. Most effort seems to be into reclassifying people into pools to determine cost and dropping the individual mandate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You can't do one without the other. There's no way to address health insurance costs unless you're going to address the absolute ridiculousness of healthcare costs.

R Acree and aedwards01 like this.
  7. ped

ped Banned

Why? Are people who don't smoke, drink, eat not going to die too? How in any way should they pay more?

8. ped

ped Banned

It's not fair somebody didnt abort their their kid with heart issues or downs, now we all have to pay for their choices.

people who smoke die of lung cancer 20 years early. They dont drag out healthcare costs on old age and years of prescriptions, doctor visists, constant infections, etc. So non-smokers should be paying significantly higher rates. Same with non-drinkers and anyone who doesn't partake in risky, life shortening behaviours.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ding ding ding!

Give this border bounder a wooden peso! :D

GixxerBlade and turtlecreek like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The "absolute ridiculousness" of healthcare costs is the symptom...not the disease

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Young guys who ride sportbikes are more likely to die in crashes than old ladies in minivans. Should their insurance premiums be cheaper?

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How's that?

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don't make me explain free market capitalism, competitive markets and how the "health industry" in the US is none of those things...

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I already touched on that in the op. I don't guess I see "symptom" as the right descriptor. Maybe "outward manifestation of a series of issues". Either way, you don't solve problems by masking "symptoms", you solve them by correcting the underlying issues.

ACA was a half assed attempt to solve the problem by throwing more money at it, both government money and forced private money.

There needs to be a serious effort to identify why healthcare costs are so high (no free market, no transparency, etc) and what to do to lower them.

There will certainly be a massive amount of teeth gnashing because there are hundreds of billions of dollars that get funneled to countless middlemen up and down the chain, but something has to be done because the system is completely unsustainable.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The underlying issue is the near-total disconnect between the provider of a service and the recipient.

Call your health care provider. Ask what a tonsillectomy will cost. See if you can get an answer.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I like the way you think.

:D

17. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Not necessarily...exhibit A: ObamaCare. To be serious though, I believe you absolutely can reform healthcare insurance without addressing healthcare cost. For one, they could allow competition across state lines. That is a reform that could address some insurance rates due to competition yet do nothing to address healthcare cost. Just my 2 pesos...

18. 418

418 Expert #59

This. They charge whatever they want to and there is no concept of the patient being involved in the process of treatment. Whenever the procedure or the cost.

And everybody accepts it as such. The problem isn't the insurance compaines, it's the healthcare industry.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The prime reason insurance is so high is because they pay out so much to the providers (all the middlemen actually). Only adding competition between insurance companies will squeeze their profits, encouraging them to cut costs wherever they can, likely in reduced benefits and increased claim denials.

20. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

You completely miss the issue of actual cost of services. How does this fix the issue that already exists that reimbursement in many cases is less than the actual cost of care?