1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am actually still stuck back at the spot where some seem to think that society "owes" everyone advanced health care. The problem is that the government has insulated people from the pain of their poor decisions for so long that there really are no negative consequences. Have a few people die because they did not plan and let the word get out. I am sure everyone would be surprised at how rapidly people started taking an interest in their own health. Those who did not would not be much of a loss to society and would just be the ones that set the example for the next generation.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No. See here

3. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Your opinion. I'm thinking your trick is something else entirely. Not much of value, but definitely something different.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Gasp!

You didn't tell me I'm wrong?

Be still my heart

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Get a room.

6. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Not necessary. It's implied when you post.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dare to dream.

Were your dream to become reality, I see a lot of liability suits filed against the dearly departed's favorite food.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the cancer. The rolex cannot be sold (dads watch, will go to family). RV has no equity. Company is Evelynes, I have nothing to do with that and her selling it to pay my bills would never ever be an option. I'd divorce her before allowing that. Jeep is worth some money as are the bikes. So yeah I could scrap up 6k if I chose to. But not sure if I'd bother or not until diagnosed. I have no problem with dying young and pretty.

I didn't get a chance to check with the accountant to see what the total fine would be before I signed up for the latest ripoff. If it's 2.5% of the household then yeah, that would save me more than 4k a year so that's what I'll go with.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shit, really? Mongo better put a disclaimer on my posts then, since no one else here is as smat as you they'll never pick up on the subtlety.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had plenty of fun when that was the goal, I'm good with my life :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I was responding to before WMH decided to keep swerving rather than address it.

That and his imaginary vast majority of people who think like he does :crackup:

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Overwhelming. Don't give him a chance to actually be right in saying you're wrong. :D

13. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on that.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

See? Much too smart to do anything as foolish as gambling. Socrates. Aristotle. And then there's you.

15. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Nope. You seem to have a remarkable ability to deflect today, Mongo.

No swerving here whatsoever. You made an inaccurate statement about your insurance company doing nothing for you. There is no possible way to defend that. They have liability now with your medical costs. That liability is a service. Sorry. You should know better. You do know better.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are absolutely correct given your take on that one single point. That you swerved to because you didn't like my comments about requiring care for people with cancer.

So what about everything else you've been arguing about? Wanna go back to how catastrophic insurance should be given to everyone or required of everyone or whatever it is the overwhelming majority think should happen?

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Depends on how you file, but yes, 2.5% of household AGI, with a max of $2085.
    You are on the title of the house, no? Ga is a common property state, no? Not sure how you exclude yourself from your wife's wealth. You get sick, and yep, you have some options but they short-circuit fast. Do not presume your advance directives makes it easy to refuse service. All I can suggest is to have a long talk with your wife about how to handle stuff like you want it handled. I thought Gorsuch was a reasonable SCOTUS pick until I read some of his book. He argues that life is inviolate. I think -- while I am lucid, anyway --my life is my inviolate property to dispense with as I see fit. I'm not talking about just dumping myself in the middle of town; I'm talking taking ownership of decisions regarding my own death.

pickled egg likes this.
  18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Although when one clicks on the link and it says "data are loading" it makes one wonder how much care went in to the actual analysis...:D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We travel to races - we have had more long talks than most couple have talked total in their relationships :crackup:

No clue what GA laws are on property. I do not own any of her business and I'll sign over the house in a heartbeat.

Agree with you on the decisions. I know I can't control what happens after I'm dead but I've told her repeatedly my wished for the burn and trash can then a round of drinks at either a nearby or my favorite bar.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Depending on what gets you, you may not have any control before you die either. And don't assume you know what Ev' will do. At best, you only know what she thinks she will do. She may very well decide to save your ass whether you want it or not.