1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

There used to be a rule requiring read and write English but the wonderful Obama administration removed it from the fmcsa rule book .

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That explains it. So there's no written test in english only. :rolleyes:

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I helped unload a truck in 2002 that was driven by a French Canadian. He didn't speak a lick of English.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Or at least pretended not to...

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

We had a guy from Montreal working with us. He talked to the guy in French. Otherwise the guy just smiled.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If he was from Quebec then he wouldn't need to speak English. Pretty sure what Marid2 is talking about is new immigrants without a command of the language and US licenses.

7. Marid2apterbilt

Some know English just play dumb. Many of spanish decent do this in warehouses to strangers and new New comers that don't know better. Sometimes it's easier and less hassel to act stupid.

I delivered in laredo once and had to get a French canadian to translate for me. I speak very little Spanish. Most of which is inappropriate for the work place. :) .

Not surprising the further north you get the better the English of South Americans. :)

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

New job,new mule,and pretty happy so far!!Back to night driving and line haul,and no asshole micro managing
    Truck is auto and weak as a kitten,but I get paid by the hr to listen to satellite radio,so wish me luck!!

[​IMG]

418, 5axis and dtalbott like this.
  9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Nice, what company did you go with? I always thought line haul would be awesome and it can be great money, but the hours can be crazy too.

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

What do you call the type of freight movement that UPS does with their packages?

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Explain line haul.

12. ToofPic

I hired on to Volunteer transportation.I get paid very well hrly,and will be driving nights.

Hauling bulk loads to 6 different terminals in the se.Let myself in the gates,drop and hook.
    I'm happy,linehaul gets me great miles,night driving,less traffic,and NO bosses barking up my ass!
    Were getting new Volvos daily

418 and BigBird like this.
  13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

All the freight companies have line haul drivers, they either drive from terminal to terminal or meet with a driver halfway between them and switch trailers. Almost all small freight and I'm guessing most packages take a ride in them, usually in the middle of the night. I don't know what they make now but years ago UPS line haul guys could make close to 6 figures.

14. Marid2apterbilt

My beeb search foo sucks. I can type the thread title for this into search and it won't show up in the list. Wtf. Ok. Today's annoying grumpy old trucker rant is over.. :)

The past few years I've started refusing to play with the holiday traffic. Every holiday. I've had the business owners of our private accounts offer up to $500 cash just to make a run and deliver on a holiday. Now I refuse. Can't pay me enough.

Anyone else getting that way?
    With Thanksgiving and Xmas so close together I usually try to stay out OTR from returning after Thanksgiving to just before Xmas. Won't go back out till after new years .

If I get stressed n cranky I'll go home for a quick day just to relax.

How about y'all.... :)

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I run the holidays for the bonus money, and the family celebrates the holidays a little early when I'm home.

16. ToofPic

Update on new job...Im picking up local shuttle runs to U=line for a few hrs before going to Chattanooga nightly.
    Just like every job trucking,the lies are being uncovered.That new truck I was in has been replaced with a clapped out
    single axle.:(
    Slip seating,even though I was told!! I would get assigned truck! That truck broke down,got a ride to Marietta,was
    given another drivers assigned truck that still had all his belongings in it.Fast forward to Friday night,going to Chattanooga,
    truck starts throwing faults on dash,Im losing power,limp fish mode,then completely dies on top of hill.
    Boss wont answer phone,finally get someone on the phone in Nashville to send a wrecker.
    4 hrs later wrecker arrives and drags me to Chattanooga yard.I get assigned another drivers truck,and steal it with all his
    belongings,and head back to Ga.
    Thats 3 trucks in one week,and Im sure they will drag me through hell getting all these truck back to the rightful owners.
    I hate to job hop,but if this doesnt turn around,Im out! Looking for a job when I found this one,as they say:beer:

418 and dtalbott like this.
  17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Wasn't that removed as a result of a court decision concerning NAFTA?

18. ToofPic

Forgot to tell the good story of my week...Gather up you're Jergens lotion,and paper towels,and listen up .:clap:

We have this black chick that handles loads from 5 am to late evenings.Nice girl,but you can tell she bats for the other team,which is fine with me.(I would too)
    Her partner is this smoking hot Mexican chick that drives and picks her up from work.
    I get back early Wednesday and go to the front door,and its locked.Without thinking,I look up,and see these two young ladies getting stinky fingers at the desk
    they are both now sharing.Mexican girl is sitting in the back and elbow deep into black chicks sweat pants that were pulled down.
    They see me,and she get up,pulls up pants,and unlocks door and lets me in.
    Says she's surpised Im back this early,and re assumes her seat at the desk.I act like I aint seen nuffin,and go to the restroom.When I come out they are knuckle wraslin again,and don't seem a bit phased that I'm there.
    WTF?!! Its a great time we live in :Pop:

Rebel635 likes this.
  19. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

That's what He said!

badmoon692008, Razr and ToofPic like this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar