1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I delivered to California. Once.

Done with that state.

2. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no pictures. But driving home from mammoth today the winds got real bad at the 395/14 area. Just as we were coming in to Mohave on the 14 my wife and I watch a motor home pull over and the rubber roof get peeled right off it.

All the big rigs were stopping under overpasses and behind big dirt mounds. Toyhaulers and the such were blowing all over. I’ve raced at willow springs during some crazy winds but I’ve bever seen anything like today. Literally it was a dust bowl from California city to Palmdale.

3. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I really miss the burritos from the mobile vendors out there. Ain't been in years since my truck won't meet there crazy emmission laws.

Be happy. Was in CT yesterday. Below zero and the dock was literally an ice rink. Top it off my refer spit a fan belt. I'm still waiting on my fingers and toes to thaw and balls to unshrivel.

Attached Files:

4. Marid2apterbilt

I love my boss. Was out most of December with pneumonia. Boss still paid my insurance and $400 a week to sit at home. When I came back I had to drive his peterbilt for 1.5 weeks
    Back in my truck now.

WITH NEW motor, transmission. Woohoo. They upgraded the 2004 c12 from the ball-less POS it was. Now it's got some POWER. Alot less stress not dragging ass up every little hill.
    Next week I'm going to Denver for one of our clients. Gonna be nice just setting the cruise at 75mph across Kansas. The old motor proved to me Kansas wasn't flat .:)

You big company drivers got it made. I've had the same truck for almost 10 yrs. Now on the 4th motor 1.97 MILLION miles on the odometer.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    ToofPic likes this.
  5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

It makes such a big difference having a bigger motor. I was lucky enough to drive fancy new Kenworths when I was driving, but when I went from a 13 liter C13 Cat to a 15 liter ISX it was such an improvement. I remember with the C13 driving across North Dakota with a crazy headwind, I spent 6 hours with my foot on the floor and couldn't break 70 mph. With the big engine, wind and hills didn't matter, it hauled ass all the time, at least when it wasn't in the shop. The Cat was smooth as hell though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

We rescued 23 trucks yesterday from the -25 wind chill. My 3 guys ran for about 11 hrs straight chasing freeze ups, no starts, and fuel issues.

I could of took as many as I wanted. Calls where non stop all day. Be careful guys. If you ever need something and you are coming through Mansfield Ohio, I will offer a wera discount..:crackup:

dtalbott and ToofPic like this.
  7. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm in Florida. :)

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Chattanooga for me...every damn night in a piss poor single axle governed at 65mph(which it rarely does).
    If any of you have a lead on a driving job,where I can get home on weekends,good equipment,lets me carry my 2
    small ,well behaved dogs,hit me up! Im in Suwanee Ga..
    Thinking about a lease purchase.I don't think Im ever gonna be happy driving,until the lies stop,and I can
    some what control how my day goes.

Last night I was a yard dog driver,warehouse worker,forklift driver,floor sweeper,then truck driver.:mad:

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Matt, are you close to Daytona?

10. assjuice cyrus

From I understand. You dont wanna do a lease purchase. Just finance a truck and go . Most people fail when they dont break down what they actually need dollar per mile. Rule of thumb is that truck dont start for less the $2 a mile.

ducnut, ToofPic and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  11. 418

418 Expert #59

I was in DeLand actually. I'm back in GA now tho.

12. Marid2apterbilt

$2 mile minimum. We try to keep it on !AVERAGE! $2.50 or more.
    Some of our accounts pay $3.50-$4+

13. Marid2apterbilt

If you were closer to Charlotte or Statesville NC I'd say give my boss a ring.
    Trucks are old but he keeps them up very well. Always honest with me and goes over and beyond what one would expect.
    Pay may not be the best in the industry and I tend to do alot of the roadside repairs rather than call a service truck.

He has mentioned several times possibly looking for a driver for his truck but too much a pain to find a "good" driver that can take care of things on his own. Mostly just common sense but that's getting harder and harder to find these days.
    In 15 yrs with this guy I've only had to call a tow truck or service truck twice.
    Both times repair was out of my ability or access to parts etc. One of those my ECM shorted itself out. :)

ToofPic likes this.
  14. Marid2apterbilt

Noted..... Hey boss we get a discount if we call assjuice.... Lmao

15. Marid2apterbilt

That cummins isx will definitely pull a hill.
    Yrs ago me n a buddy crossing i80 in nv. He would kill me on the uphill side. Finally I got tired of it. Topped a hill just east of Wells Nv. Once motor stopped pulling just over 85mph I tossed it in neutral. :). He didn't and popped his head. Mechanic wasn't happy when he found out we were running together and checked my ECM. Top speed 127 MPH

Bwahaha... That 99 Volvo 13spd and 60series Detroit was rolling on. :)

R1Racer99 likes this.
  16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Mother puss bucket! 19* tonight and my damned heater quit...again. Drove the last 90 miles back in snow having to open the window occasionally to keep the windows clear. Doubt it ever got close to 30* in the cab. You can feel heat @ the vent but with the fan running wide-open, there is no air moving. This has been going on randomly since at least early Oct. When I got back, I dropped the tractor in front of the shop and told them I won't drive it again until the temp stays above 40* all day. Tomorrow morning I will be talking to our safety director.

Marid2apterbilt and ToofPic like this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hey... even Tom Brady goes to work when it's cold out... and he's a hundredmillionaire a couple times over and shags Giselle.

Set your broke ass in the truck.

And shit.

The end.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Im aware of the fleece purchase plans.The one I'm looking at is dedicated,and I have 2 former drivers that I knew that are currently doing it,and successful.
    I've done a lot of research,but nothing is a guarantee In trucking.I have no problem driving for a company,if I can find one that does what they say thay will.
    I only wish I would have recorded my interviews!

19. assjuice cyrus

Yes!!!! But when you call you must ask the secretary for assjuice or discount is null and void.:crackup:

20. Marid2apterbilt

Well need pictures of said secretary first... :) .

badmoon692008 and motoracer1100 like this.