1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Failure to comply is too often translated into violence.
    It's part of the job, learn to deal with it without going off the deep end.

2. Crackhead

Crackhead Expert

I've read the same thing about the Dung Beetle here. Draw your own conclusions.

3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

People who DEMAND respect don’t react well when they don’t get it.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Ouch! Our resident flatfoot has a bit of a blind spot, but he's actually quite reasonable on all other matters.

5. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

There's plenty of free space in there... :D

XFBO likes this.
  6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................I'm the Donald Trump of the Dungeon!

Melting snowflakes one day at a time. :D

Fonda Dix likes this.
  7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Questions. It was reported that the man was driving on a suspended license. Was the officer that was trying to stop him in the first place aware of who the man was? Did the officer know something about the man that wasn't reported in the news story? Was, or had, he been a public threat in the past? Did he have a criminal past that would indicate the man being a threat to the public? So many questions not answered in the video, on the audio captured, or in the news story.
    Hey, but let's not wait until we learn more about it. Let's kill the police officers and bury them so they won't bother any more suspects. :D

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

You can't be SERIOUS!?!?!?! :crackup:

We don't do details in the Dungeon - FTP thread............please Orvis, clearly you're a LE apologist.

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

10. In Your Corner

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think this is the fuck the police thread not a fuck the politicians thread.

12. Chino52405

The city and the city's police force have every reason to roast that guy - if he can persuade the public that the suicidal man was not an imminent danger to the public (or officers) then the other officer who showed up shooting was in the wrong and therefore "it was a bad kill".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If it went down as described, the cops arriving on scene were justified in lighting him up, despite the good cop's attempts at defusing the situation. They had no prior knowledge of what went down or what his mental state was, they see a guy, firearm in hand, not surrendering to police. He was a perceived imminent threat and neither good cop nor trigger cop were wrong in the manner in which they handled the scene as it was presented to them.

What this will do, is even further erode the public trust in the cops and the political machinations behind them.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, understand the way they all reacted to it. Just don't see why dude was fired unless he went off on the other guys for shooting.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Welp, add another one to the long list of Sons that if Obama had a Son, he would be like this kid.
    Wait, what? This guy was white? Stop the presses - It’s clearly a case of justifiable homicide.
    No outrage here, move along.

16. In Your Corner

Not knowing what was going on is more reason to not shoot, not a good excuse for shooting.
    Especially when there was already a cop there who was handling it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They knew what was going on - a guy was waving a gun around. The guy who got much more agitated when he saw them roll up. They reacted properly to the situation that was happening as they arrived which was totally different than when the other cop arrived.

18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:rolleyes:

19. In Your Corner

I'm sure you're right. Best to shoot first and sort it out later.

20. Chino52405

911 call said gun was unloaded (for whatever that is worth) and the officer at the scene hadn't yet shot the guy with the gun. I won't argue that the backup officers did anything "wrong", but it wasn't "right" either.

Two thoughts:
    1. It would be nice if back up arriving on the scene could have somehow been made aware (if they weren't in this case) how the scene was developing or being treated by the officer(s) on site.

2. In this one isolated incident, this is exactly the type of courage, intelligence and judgement I believe people expect of police officers. He likely had a lot of practice in threat assessment and deescalation from conducting more than a couple house sweeps in Afghanistan where shoot first can have much higher consequences than paid leave.