1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epic Movies?

Discussion in 'General' started by deathwagon, Feb 24, 2014.

1. :up:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Epic

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Silverado

The Getaway

Hollywood Knights

Tin Cup

National Lampoons Vacation

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Torque :D

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

John Wayne in The Shootist, The Cowboys

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I enjoyed most of them. I would not call that list "epic." Well, not in the sense the OP intended. :D

By the way, five pages, not a single mofo listed The Right Stuff.

6. I know right. :D

I forgot about Real Steel. It is one of my favorites too. I like the big robots.

7. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Lonesome Dove?

8. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

Duel
    Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
    Two Lane Blacktop

9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Some of my favorites that I haven't seen:

Dumb and Dumber
    Tommy Boy
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    The Fighter
    Gone in 60 Seconds (Nick Cage version)

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Helvetica

We see print every single day but I never once wondered who came up with the actual type or how strong the impact is. This film is a documentary on the subject. I thought it was very interesting.

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Passion of the Christ was mentioned but worth mentioning again. Only movie I've ever seen in a theater where everyone leaving was completely silent, myself included.

Also mentioned once but pretty powerful in my opinion, Reqium(sp?) for a Dream. Only time I've ever seem two chicks back up to each other with a toy that it wasn't hot. Crazy dark creepy movie.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I prefer Microgramma

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So I married an axe murderer.

"He cries himself to sleep on his wee pillow."
    [​IMG]

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I dunno if a creepy film can be epic but-
    Halloween (original)
    Silence of The Lambs
    Carrie (original)
    Poltergeist
    Se7en

Alien
    Prometheus (Some hate it but I've watched it four times.)

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Prometheus four times? :wow: I wanted to drink bleach after about fifteen minutes.

16. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

+1

.....an awful, awful, awful movie.

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Eff the haters. Loved that movie and I'm sorry but she be fine as hell in that skin tight suit. I hope they do the sequel.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It was really for people interested in the mythology of the Alien series. IMO. There are several websites devoted to it. Kinda like X-Files it let's the audience come to their own conclusions. Many concluded that it sucked but that's the thing with film. ;)

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wow, huge thread and lots of great movies mentioned although I haven't read every post.

I don't quite understand how some choices were made while ignoring or disliking others, outright blasphemy on some picks and/or non-picks!!! LOL!

I just need to say, like some others, some movies that should have been 'epic' just seemed to fall short of it, for me, with some movies....a few were Heat, Apocalypse Now, and a few others.

For me, epic movies would have to include the following (off the top of my head):
    Gangster
    Godfather (only the first 2), Goodfellas, Road to Perdition, The Departed and quite a few others come very close but fall short to those listed above.

Action
    Gladiator/Braveheart, Avatar, The Bourne Trilogy, Fugitive, kinda cheating here but pretty much all the latest DC Comics and Marvel involved movies.

Romance
    Titanic, West Side Story, An Officer and a Gentleman, Slum Dog Millionaire and yes...The Notebook and few others from the same author. :D

Comedy
    Animal House, Stripes, Something about Mary, Anchorman, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Midnight Run.

I was never really a big fan of classics which I do realize I'm missing out on, one of which I just discovered recently while enjoying it with my kids. Sound of Music! I feel so incredibly stupid for never watching it from beginning to end over the years, what a great movie.

Another classic would have to be Wizard of Oz.

20. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

How about The Wild Bunch

And The Outlaw Josey Wales